[SIGNING] Canucks sign Kevin Lankinen

21 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The only thing Silovs needs to improve on is getting used to the speed of NHL shots. He got cleanly beat multiple times, but he is, in fact, stellar in close. He just needs more games to get used to things. He's going to be great for us.

I think it has less to do with the speed of shots and more to do with the more effective screening and faster lateral passes. The AHL hardest shot record is 109 and in the NHL it’s 108. I’m not saying all guys wire it that fast; just that I think it’s relatively comparable.

15 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

I dont understand this back and fort about Silovs and Lankinen.I am happy Demko has all time he need to recover.2 days ago we where in panic about how this season will start?Now,i cant wait.Best goalie will be on net for sure every night.What else do we want?

I agree. It should be whatever works for us while Demko heals. Anything beyond that is just silly speculation. I say we let Silovs and Lankinen show us what they're all about while we await Demko's return.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The more I look at this deal, I don't understand how we got him for so cheap. 

Nashville couldn't wait any longer and signed Wedgewood to 1.5m

Is the market for goalies that bad right now? No other team needs a backup or a tandem goalie? 

I also think it's the realities of cap constraints. 

Plus the fact Allvin was honest in what the team was willing to spend, was patient in not overspending, turned out good for us. 

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The more I look at this deal, I don't understand how we got him for so cheap. 

Nashville couldn't wait any longer and signed Wedgewood to 1.5m

Is the market for goalies that bad right now? No other team needs a backup or a tandem goalie? 

Lankinen likely priced himself out on July 1st. Nashville didn't waste time and moved on as they have bigger fish to fry. 

PA was able to take advantage cause I think Lankinen needs us more than we need him. We are a good landing spot given the circumstances. Our team's defensive structure should give him decent stats to get his next contract. We'll also send Silovs down before we waive him so there's a bit of security unless his play completely falls off. 

Ultimately he's a good backup option at this price. I don't know if we should expect anything more than what we got from DeSmith last yr. 

5 minutes ago, northern lights said:

What he worth in a trade?

2nd round pick?

Not trading him anytime soon just curious as to what others think of his value right now. 

lucky to get a 5th I think. Any team in the league could have signed him if they wanted him and didn't. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BCNate said:

This is a great move, especially given Demko's status.  If Silovs proves to be the better goalie, we deal Lankinen for a mid to late pick when Demko is back. If Lankinen is better, Silovs goes to Abby to continue to develop.  Either situation is pretty positive for the team.

Solid take. 

9 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Why would you trade him at all?With Demko you will never be sure.Sadly

We can never be 100% sure when it comes to players’ long-term health in professional sports - can’t predict the future.

Fortunately, in this case, management has a good understanding of the type of injury and how to best treat it both immediately  and over the long-term.

So, if at any point it’s seen as beyond the risk threshold for this club, we can also have faith that this management will move to address it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, northern lights said:

What he worth in a trade?

2nd round pick?

Not trading him anytime soon just curious as to what others think of his value right now. 

As he just signed for near league minimum after sitting on the market the entire summer… basically zero.

If he and Silovs make a good 1a/1B tandem and have respectable numbers AND if some contending team gets a long term goalie injury in season, “maybe” you can get a 3rd rounder or a B level prospect for him.

• ThereItIs 1

Seems like a decent contract, people worried about his numbers seem to forget he played 2 years for Chicago. No goaltender would put up decent numbers playing for that bottom feeder. 

Roughly 1/3rd the price of DeSmith, so we can't complain about that.