[SIGNING] Canucks sign Kevin Lankinen

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Good signing though, will put Silovs back in the AHL where he belongs once Demko's up to snuff 

This ^^^
new management is smart for many reasones, one of which is making sure guys aren’t playing minutes they’re not ready for. Clearly, after last year’s playoffs, Silovs isn’t ready for the National League. He’s a great story but not an nhl goalie, yet.,

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This ^^^
new management is smart for many reasones, one of which is making sure guys aren’t playing minutes they’re not ready for. Clearly, after last year’s playoffs, Silovs isn’t ready for the National League. He’s a great story but not an nhl goalie, yet.,

I thought he showed well, particularly given his lack of NHL experience, but I've also seen several players simply play well at the right time. Silovs did. 

Thing is, he still has a lot of work to do. He still had a 2.91 GAA and a .898 save percentage across those 10 playoff games. 

Wasn't anything special at the AHL level last season either, went 16-11-6 with a 2.74 GAA and a .907 save percentage. It was a step back from his previous campaign. 

I think he could be a legit NHL backup at some point, but he wouldn't be out of place in Abbotsford this season.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Why do you think silocs belongs in the ahl?

See my last post, I think there's more development he could achieve at that level still. He'd be better off getting a larger number of games in Abbotsford imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I thought he showed well, particularly given his lack of NHL experience, but I've always seen several players simply play well at the right time. Silovs did. 

Thing is, he still has a lot of work to do. He still had a 2.91 GAA and a .898 save percentage across those 10 playoff games. 

Wasn't anything special at the AHL level last season either, went 16-11-6 with a 2.74 GAA and a .907 save percentage. It was a step back from his previous campaign. 

I think he could be a legit NHL backup at some point, but he wouldn't be out of place in Abbotsford this season.

Not too sure why, but Silovs reminds me of Eddie Lack. A decent guy and goalie, but not someone the club will win a Cup with. 

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He was the one holding him at gunpoint.

SIGN DAMMIT! 

Harsh.

He probably just had him locked up inside a certain Burnaby Tim Hortons that has egg laying insects and homeless people. 

He said “Sign the contract and I’ll let you go.”

Tadaa!

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, VforTheCurseEndsHere said:

PA absolutely waiting him out and didn't budge. What a boss. 

I don't think this means anything about Demko beyond the fact that no one can tell the future and hoping he recovers and expecting he will recover are two very different things. Insurance. 

By contrast, when JimBob started the contract negotiations 

(_0_) <--- Jimbo's preferred position when entering into contract negotiations... his not theirs ... to avoid confusion

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not too sure why, but Silovs reminds me of Eddie Lack. A decent guy and goalie, but not someone the club will win a Cup with. 

I liked Lack, he was fun

As for the sort of guy who we'd win a cup with, dunno, that's not fair imo, only one team wins a cup each season 

What he ends up being is anyone's guess, I think he could be a legit backup, but I do believe he'd be better off stewing a bit longer in Abbotsford 

I don't see that as a bad thing though, a lot of NHL'ers have to pay their dues in the AHL, and given our renewed commitment to player development in recent years Abbotsford would likely be a good environment

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Demko will be fine

The thing is, Demko being fine or not is moot now. Lanky is a super good goalie who will do great with us. Double Bubble can take the time to get healthy. Maybe when he’s healthy we trade him? 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

See my last post, I think there's more development he could achieve at that level still. He'd be better off getting a larger number of games in Abbotsford imo. 

We'll disagree there.  The time is now for him and, yo me, this signals demko is going to be awhile

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

We'll disagree there.  The time is now for him and, yo me, this signals demko is going to be awhile

Wrong and right. Silovs isn’t nhl ready. Demko will be a while. 
Not too sure what points to Silovs being ready? He’s a sub .900 guy. Lanky is .912

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Silovs and Lankinen will keep us in it while Demko continues to progress. 

This is exactly what we needed.

We're fortunate to have Silovs. 

Silovs as our backup. Then, when Demko is healthy, back in Abby. Of we trade him for a mid rounder.