[SIGNING] Canucks sign Kevin Lankinen

8 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I wonder if we rotate 3 goalies while Demko’s out just to keep everyone fresh and playing in a “backup” role? Say 40% for Lankinen, 40% for Silovs and 20% Patera?

I say ride a winner if we have one. The early season points are so important. Too many years we have had to try to dig ourselves out of a hole.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Source that nobody else wanted him?

Im sure there were multiple teams interested just not at the 2 mil he was making last season. 

DeSmith was also a goalie “nobody else wanted”. He turned into a solid backup for us.

We don’t need him to be a world beater we just need him to provide support for Silovs so he doesn’t get thrown to the wolves.

Im definitely much more confident with this tandem than a Silovs/Patera combo that’s for sure.

Well, it's day 3 of training camp and he has (had) nowhere to play and he signed for near league minimum.

If it looks like a duck and smells like a duck

Desmith was so good, he lost his job to a rookie in the playoffs.

I'm sure Lankenin will be fine, my original comment was in the context that silovs is an ahl goalie and lankenin is some amazing goaltender that they got a steal of a deal on.  

The fact is, teams are well into training camp and he still didn't have a job

Edited by stawns

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We disagree completely. It's obvious and apparent with Silovs, imo. 

If we didn't have that stat, we'd probably be saying Silovs just got a back-up while we wait for Demko to rest up.   Silovs didn't look out of place, played with gumption (even had a hit or two), battled hard etc.   No he wasn't lights out, he also didn't look at all out of place and he didn't lose the net either.   Tochett kept riding him when it was no longer necessary.   Given his age, we don't know exactly what we got yet.   Wouldn't surprise me if that competitive spirit pays dividends.   Also wouldn't surprise me if he goes back to the AHL.   It's a fickle position.   One thing he didn't do, was let in a softie the first minute of play or a muffin in the first shot against.   

Edit:   As an aside save percentages are way down the last few seasons.   .903/.904 on average the past two.   He's just one goal less away every 2-3 games from leveling up there as well.    Last 5 games had 9.13, .900 and .933 in there too.   One bad game didn't make it look great overall.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Silovs save percentage was against top competition in pressure situation.  Happy lankinen is here but no need to crap on silovs

And he was behind a team who let the other team skate around in their zone relatively unimpeded and record a huge numbers of shots 

Only a dumbass couldn't see that Silovs was the reason they got as far as they did.

• ThereItIs 1

I don’t think this signing is as much about Silovs as it is about providing the team with insurance in case Demmer’s comeback doesn’t go as planned or heaven forbid he gets injured again later in the season.

Good signing for now, but now we have to wait for the other shoe to drop in possibly losing a player like Aman or DiGiuseppe.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

And he was behind a team who let the other team skate around in their zone relatively unimpeded and record a huge numbers of shots 

Only a dumbass couldn't see that Silovs was the reason they got as far as they did.

Silovs was good but wasn't standing on his head.   A lot of those shots were on the perimeter, led by McDavid and his pal Draistal, who rarely went to the net too.   Hyman did his best.. EDM had little to offer 5 x 5.    The entire team was coming back in aid, one game they posted a lot of shots ... one game only 23, and its not like McDavid was nearly as dangerous was he could be, same with Draisatl, or that Vancouver was owned like we were against Vegas in the bubble either.  Not even close, that was a pretty even series, with Silovs in net.  Skinner didn't kick butt either.   Either team could have won that series with elite goaltending.   EDM coasted (or relied) on power players heavily.   And the Canuck's didn't get fair reffing...usually don't bitch about that, but McDavid high stick and Soucy getting a game.   I bet if Brock played they'd of lost. 

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Silovs was good but wasn't standing on his head.   A lot of those shots were on the perimeter, led by McDavid and his pal Draistal, who rarely went to the net too.   Hyman did his best.. EDM had little to offer 5 x 5.    The entire team was coming back in aid, one game they posted a lot of shots ... one game only 23, and its not like McDavid was nearly as dangerous was he could be, same with Draisatl, or that Vancouver was owned like we were against Vegas in the bubble either.  Not even close, that was a pretty even series, with Silovs in net.  Skinner didn't kick butt either.   Either team could have won that series with elite goaltending.   EDM coasted (or relied) on power players heavily.   And the Canuck's didn't get fair reffing...usually don't bitch about that, but McDavid high stick and Soucy getting a game.   I bet if Brock played they'd of lost. 

Silovs absolutely carried that team.  

• Cheers 1

Very impressed with the forward and goalie depth on the roster right now.

Hopefully we can make some serious moves during the season to that defensive core. 

On paper, the team is looking very good. Can’t wait for the season to start.

• Cheers 1

First we pulled a rabbit out of the hat last year before preseason trading Pearson for Desmith, and now this latest magic. Our management team rocks. They are spot on at addressing needs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I really have to say I love this signing. Stronger depth in the crease is never a bad thing. However, when Demko returns have to think he sticks as the backup IF he plays as advertised or better. The reason? Silovs does not need to pass through waivers in order to pay in Abbotsford. This is key as we do not have to worry about losing him to another club for nothing. At this point, as much as I love Silovs, there is absolutely no reason to rush him into a permanent spot on the big club.  He is still quite young, and another season in Abbotsford won't hurt his development in the slightest. If Lankinen flops, his contact is easily moved or buried.  Just my two cents for what it's worth

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't see it that way, he's still a younger tender, AHL hockey isn't an insult 

Depends on your point of view.  That is the main issue with Koslov in Philly. He wants a confirmed spot in the NHL and doesn't want anything to do with the AHL. If Silovs gets sent down after being our starter in the playoffs over Desmith there is a chance he asks for a trade.

40 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Brah, Chill! Up until the Coilers started crying and the refs started babying them the Nucks were playing solid D..after the suspension it was a night and day difference.

The Canucks were giving up huge amounts of shots, spending unbelievable amounts of time in their own end and getting very few shots of their own.  

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

I don’t think this signing is as much about Silovs as it is about providing the team with insurance in case Demmer’s comeback doesn’t go as planned or heaven forbid he gets injured again later in the season.

I agree it's probably not as much about Silovs, and that insurance is part of the equation, but I think it is a bit about Silovs because with his waiver exempt status, they can always yo-yo him down to Abby when the team is on the road and back up when they're playing a longer at-home stretch, and give him more reps than if he were fully in one or the other.

2 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I wonder if we rotate 3 goalies while Demko’s out just to keep everyone fresh and playing in a “backup” role? Say 40% for Lankinen, 40% for Silovs and 20% Patera?

This is likely part of the philosophy that management has in mind.  Getting the coaching staff to buy in is what will really be the question here.

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

I say ride a winner if we have one. The early season points are so important. Too many years we have had to try to dig ourselves out of a hole.

We could, but if we play one goalie too much, things might work against us.  Example - let's say Demko has "the hot hand" on his return.  He'll play lots of games and if Silovs is the backup, he'll sit there without the reps he needs.  If Silovs starts the season but runs into two or three games where he has an absolute stinker, at what point do you play him again?  Or do you assume Lankinen/Demko are your "winners" and leave him on the bench?  

A rotational system keeps the players fresh, allows them to get their reps, and if we adapt the Silovs yo-yo approach, we can ensure he keeps developing by getting more games than he would otherwise sticking with just one team.  What's not to like with that?

21 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Depends on your point of view.  That is the main issue with Koslov in Philly. He wants a confirmed spot in the NHL and doesn't want anything to do with the AHL. If Silovs gets sent down after being our starter in the playoffs over Desmith there is a chance he asks for a trade.

I'd be surprised, he's gonna have to earn his full time spot, this season that'll probably involve his having to beat out a guy with more NHL tenure 

Even if he has to spend most of this season in Abbotsford he'd likely have a better shot next season if he performs well

If he asks for a trade though, so be it, the Vancouver goalie factory keeps on rolling