[SIGNING] Canucks sign Kevin Lankinen

14 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, it's day 3 of training camp and he has (had) nowhere to play and he signed for near league minimum.

If it looks like a duck and smells like a duck

Desmith was so good, he lost his job to a rookie in the playoffs.

I'm sure Lankenin will be fine, my original comment was in the context that silovs is an ahl goalie and lankenin is some amazing goaltender that they got a steal of a deal on.  

The fact is, teams are well into training camp and he still didn't have a job

DeSmith got injured so they had to play Silovs, but you go ahead with your revisionist history

9 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

The Canucks signed the best available goalie that has played a decent amount of games with a Cap hit of under a mill. Given the uncertainty to the health of both our goalies, this was a very high priority and we didn’t have to use LTIR to get him (a save for the TDL later). 

Was this a “move of the century”? Obviously not but it was a move that could save our season in terms of being a contender for the Cup. You seem to underestimate how important this move was.

It's a solid move with upside, not some desperate overpay like we've seen in the past. I don't know anyone could see it as negative in any way.

Heck even if it allows us to stay .500 until Demko is healthy thats a win.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

The Canucks signed the best available goalie that has played a decent amount of games with a Cap hit of under a mill. Given the uncertainty to the health of both our goalies, this was a very high priority and we didn’t have to use LTIR to get him (a save for the TDL later). 

Was this a “move of the century”? Obviously not but it was a move that could save our season in terms of being a contender for the Cup. You seem to underestimate how important this move was.

Again, I have no issue with the signing, they clearly needed a goalie given demkos situation

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The team played well positionally and for the most part he didn’t have to face too many high danger chances. So no that’s not accurate.

And he let in three goals in two of their game and four in another and they still won, so again that’s not true.

He played solid no doubt, but stellar? Bit of a stretch.

Silovs struggled with shots from the perimeter. And those are shots good defensive teams are fine with giving up. When the goalie struggles with those it very much negatively impacts how the club plays. They try to play even more defensively and end up with limited offensive opportunities, especially off the rush. Silovs is a nice story but he’s mot yet an nhl level goalie. 

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, it's day 3 of training camp and he has (had) nowhere to play and he signed for near league minimum.

I'm sure Lankenin will be fine, my original comment was in the context that silovs is an ahl goalie and lankenin is some amazing goaltender that they got a steal of a deal on.  

Truth is somewhere in the middle me thinks. Canuck fans overhyping players and signings as per usual. Silovs and Lank are both backups on any team with aspirations. Both capable of elevating but doesn't gaurantee they do. I'm just happy with the signing and the veteran depth it adds to a very important position. 

• Upvote 1

Allvin is cooking alright. Not that Lankinen moves the needle in a huge way, but it's great to have that insurance. Lowballing him and waiving "opportunity" in his face... it's almost surreal to have competent management again.

None of us really know where Silovs is in his development at this stage. Goalies are notoriously hard to pin. He was good, not great in the AHL last year. Good, not great in the NHL. But, obviously the playoff experience was huge for his confidence. 

The kid is more than a feel-good-story, though. He's 6'4 with some pretty unique skills, especially his flexibility. There is a world where he just keeps building, leapfrogs Lankinen, and is a very good rookie backup for us this year. This way, we don't have to count on that happening, and can let things unfold naturally. 

1 minute ago, nergish said:

Allvin is cooking alright. Not that Lankinen moves the needle in a huge way, but it's great to have that insurance. Lowballing him and waiving "opportunity" in his face... it's almost surreal to have competent management again.

None of us really know where Silovs is in his development at this stage. Goalies are notoriously hard to pin. He was good, not great in the AHL last year. Good, not great in the NHL. But, obviously the playoff experience was huge for his confidence. 

The kid is more than a feel-good-story, though. He's 6'4 with some pretty unique skills, especially his flexibility. There is a world where he just keeps building, leapfrogs Lankinen, and is a very good rookie backup for us this year. This way, we don't have to count on that happening, and can let things unfold naturally. 

I think that he played well in the playoff, given that playoffs in the second round are harder that regular season hockey. If he'd played .500 hockey in the regular season then I wouldn't be that impressed, but he was suddenly dropped into a once in 10 years situation and did well. His save percentage wasn't great, but overall he fought hard.

12 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I think that he played well in the playoff, given that playoffs in the second round are harder that regular season hockey. If he'd played .500 hockey in the regular season then I wouldn't be that impressed, but he was suddenly dropped into a once in 10 years situation and did well. His save percentage wasn't great, but overall he fought hard.

Oh, absolutely. 

But if he played "great" in the playoffs, he'd be a much bigger name and would have received a bigger contract. He did great considering the circumstances, but was merely good. Though, it definitely got me excited to see where his career goes. 

I'm a huge goalie guy, and love the kid. I don't even particularly love Lankinen's game, I'm rooting for Arty to bring the party this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Truth is somewhere in the middle me thinks. Canuck fans overhyping players and signings as per usual. Silovs and Lank are both backups on any team with aspirations. Both capable of elevating but doesn't gaurantee they do. I'm just happy with the signing and the veteran depth it adds to a very important position. 

Again, I don't think it's a bad signing........might, however, be a bad sign about demko

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So with this signing Demko will probably miss some time at the start of the season! I hope Silovs continues his strong playoff performance but there’s a chance Lankinen could steal the bulk of the games until Demko is ready! Canucks look to be a solid team this year so Lankinen could pad his stats and maybe earn his opportunity and extension via a trade later in season to a goalie needy team.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

So with this signing Demko will probably miss some time at the start of the season! I hope Silovs continues his strong playoff performance but there’s a chance Lankinen could steal the bulk of the games until Demko is ready! Canucks look to be a solid team this year so Lankinen could pad his stats and maybe earn his opportunity and extension via a trade later in season to a goalie needy team.

Demko miss time? Let's hope his injury isn't career ending.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Silovs was stellar ... 

Evidence:

He made some huge saves for sure but painting it as if he somehow carried the team is wrong.

Some nights he kept them in it and other nights the team bailed him out.

Overall the team played a very strong defensive game though and kept the shots to the outside for the most part.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He made some huge saves for sure but painting it as if he somehow carried the team is wrong.

Overall the team played a very strong defensive game though and kept the shots to the outside for the most part.

In hindsight, keeping the shots from the outside might have been part of the problem.

Silovs is very acrobatic and can make those highlight reel saves but his puck tracking needs work. And Bouchard feasted on him from the outside.

I'm not sure why so many act like he carried us with a sub 900 s%.

• ThereItIs 4

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I never said he carried the team. That's not what I said. Someone else said that.

I said he was indeed stellar. Those clips prove that in spades. It's not hard to see. I'm surprised you don't see it. It's obvious and apparent he was stellar in the playoffs. 

What we have in Silovs is also obvious and apparent.

17 hours ago, stawns said:

3 hours ago, stawns said:

What part of that post had anything to do with DeSmith?

Right there. You said it yourself!