[SIGNING] Canucks sign Kevin Lankinen

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I never said he carried the team. That's not what I said. Someone else said that.

I said he was indeed stellar. Those clips prove that in spades. It's not hard to see. I'm surprised you don't see it. It's obvious and apparent he was stellar in the playoffs. 

What we have in Silovs is also obvious and apparent.

The only thing Silovs needs to improve on is getting used to the speed of NHL shots. He got cleanly beat multiple times, but he is, in fact, stellar in close. He just needs more games to get used to things. He's going to be great for us.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe just different definitions.

Stellar for me was Demko against Vegas or Luongo against Dallas. That’s a whole other level of goaltending.

Yeah, two different perspectives.

Also two different goalies at different stages. Two different levels and contexts of stellar, imo. I think Silovs' performance was stellar. Especially given his level of experience and goaltending. 

I'm ok to agree to disagree.

Glad we have Lankinen. I'm good with Silovs/Lankinen, vice versa. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The only thing Silovs needs to improve on is getting used to the speed of NHL shots. He got cleanly beat multiple times, but he is, in fact, stellar in close. He just needs more games to get used to things. He's going to be great for us.

Good points. I agree.

I think the more important thing right now is what's happening with Silovs in the bigger macro picture of his overall trajectory rather than what he didn't do in the smaller micro picture. Those specific things that you accurately point out will only be improved upon with more games, experience, adjustments, maturity, etc.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, two different perspectives.

Also two different goalies at different stages. Two different levels and contexts of stellar, imo. I think Silovs' performance was stellar. Especially given his level of experience and goaltending. 

I'm ok to agree to disagree.

Glad we have Lankinen. I'm good with Silovs/Lankinen, vice versa. 

I'm not so sure "stellar" should have to be contextualized. Silovs definitely played admirably in the playoffs, which is maybe the word you're looking for. He played above the level us fans expected and had a couple very solid games. But he also had some shaky games and shaky periods.

He played at a decent level but it was also clear that he was a goalie still in development. Often he gave up big rebounds that our defense cleaned up or was slightly late to react and would just barely get a piece of the puck. Ultimately he made those saves and that's what matters, but it didn't really look sustainable. There were also quite a few times against the Oilers where he overcommitted to one side and was lucky that the Oilers kept putting their cross-ice passes in positions that were hard to get to.

Silovs played above the level expected and certainly showed promise to keep growing. He didn't cost the team games which was the most important thing. But I also wouldn't use the word "stellar."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

I'm not so sure "stellar" should have to be contextualized. Silovs definitely played admirably in the playoffs, which is maybe the word you're looking for. He played above the level us fans expected and had a couple very solid games. But he also had some shaky games and shaky periods.

He played at a decent level but it was also clear that he was a goalie still in development. Often he gave up big rebounds that our defense cleaned up or was slightly late to react and would just barely get a piece of the puck. Ultimately he made those saves and that's what matters, but it didn't really look sustainable. There were also quite a few times against the Oilers where he overcommitted to one side and was lucky that the Oilers kept putting their cross-ice passes in positions that were hard to get to.

Silovs played above the level expected and certainly showed promise to keep growing. He didn't cost the team games which was the most important thing. But I also wouldn't use the word "stellar."

That's fine. I never said he was perfect. We can agree to disagree.

This looks pretty "stellar" to me. Also self-evident, imo. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I would agree with this… and if I may be so bold as to infer - if we had a healthy Demko we would’ve taken that series…

• Cheers 1

On 9/21/2024 at 2:36 PM, Spoosh said:

Great. First Finn on the team in a long time now.

Second Finished Goalie in Canucks history!    Surprised PA actually signed a non-Ikea player - especially a Finn because they are typically not liked by the Swedes!   I suspect that this must have been a JR signing!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe just different definitions.

Stellar for me was Demko against Vegas or Luongo against Dallas. That’s a whole other level of goaltending.

Goalie duel was playoff series against Dallas that one year against us where Turco go "credited" with THREE shutouts and his still failed to beat us.

• Cheers 1

I think this is a great signing, drop Silvos down to the AHL when Demko is healthy. Silvos still needs some seasoning in the AHL, he's progressing great but needs to work on his tracking through traffic and rebound control to take the next step. 

• Like 1

I think this was the absolute best case scenario. We have the luxury of a backup tandem to take the work load off of Demko when he returns. Blankinem can serve as a backup while Silovs takes the lead in Abby, allowing him to step in and play without the need for waivers. Maybe Lankinen get's 20 starts Silovs 15 Demko 40-50. It's amazing how this Mgmt gets exactly what they want. 

As far as goalies who've played 20 games ish over the past couple years. Lanks top 25 in basically every goalie metric. Nashville is a very good defensive team. It's clear that if he can see the shot he will save it. He was 2nd last year in low danger s%. Keep the shots to the outside like they did for Silovs, and we will be good. I feel like we have the big D to clear the net and the plethora of Garland, Dak, Sherwood, Blueger, Heinen, Suter, in the middle 6 with Selke caliber C's in Miller Pete taking hard matchups.  We're in a perfect spot. 

There is no excuse for poor play we have the best possible roster going into 2024/25. I think with this signing they can legit say they did get everything they wanted this offseason. It's amazing really like a video game on easy mode. 

• Cheers 3

If Demko played the way Silovs did in the playoffs I think we’d be a little disappointed but not sure it would have been a huge talking point or anything. 

But given what Silovs was when he took over, he absolutely levelled up, winning a playoff series and taking the Oilers to 7. As Stawns pointed out, DeSmith was DeThroned and Casey was solid as a backup for us that season. 

Lankinen could simply be insurance for an ambiguous timeline for Demko and Silovs himself having fatigue related injuries.  Apparently nothing was promised to him.   

Still, Silovs has yet to dominate at the AHL level and can clear waivers iirc - so if Demko is healthy and Lankinen looks good, I think you want all 3 as injury insurance. Or I’ve even heard they’re thinking about carrying all 3 with the Canucks - though that seems sub-optimal for Silovs.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The team played well positionally and for the most part he didn’t have to face too many high danger chances. So no that’s not accurate.

And he let in three goals in two of their game and four in another and they still won, so again that’s not true.

He played solid no doubt, but stellar? Bit of a stretch.

Let's meet in the middle here.....he was stellar for a young goalie who just entered the NHL.  Was he Demko / Luongo good?  No, but nobody expected that.  Most people expected to crash out of the playoffs quickly without Demko but Silovs played stellar compared to what we would have expected.

@Alflives - he's certainly an NHL goalie.  Not a starter yet, but he's deserving of the back-up role.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I dont understand this back and fort about Silovs and Lankinen.I am happy Demko has all time he need to recover.2 days ago we where in panic about how this season will start?Now,i cant wait.Best goalie will be on net for sure every night.What else do we want?

• Vintage 1

I really like this signing. If you compare Lankinen’s stats to Saros’ over the past two seasons, they are amazingly almost identical, minus games played of course. 

That’s a very encouraging metric as this is the closest metric we can get for an apples to apples comparison for him with both those guys on the same team. Needless to say, being the started Saros would’ve seen some tougher teams, but the fact that Lankinen has been basically on par stat wise with an all-star, Vezina finalist goalie like Saros is very encouraging.

Saros stats:

2022-23 Nashville Predators 64 63 33 23 -- 7 2099 2.69 .919 2 0 1 0 3809:59
2023-24 Nashville Predators 64 64 35 24 -- 5 1845 2.86 .906 3 0 2 2

Lankinen stats:

2022-23 Nashville Predators 19 18 9 8 -- 1 583 2.75 .916 0 0 0 2 1069:10
2023-24 Nashville Predators 24 17 11 6 -- 0 610 2.82 .908 1 0 1 0

Edited by Willander the Great
  • Cheers 2

On 9/21/2024 at 2:36 PM, Spoosh said:

Great. First Finn on the team in a long time now.

Wasn't that long ago. 

Juho Lammikko was here in 2021-22.

Artu Raty played some games for us in 2022-23.

We didn't have anyone played NHL games for us from Finland last season.

• Vintage 1