[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 1 | Tuesday, September 24th | Seattle @ Vancouver | 7pt/10et | SNP, SN1 | Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC.

Chickenspear

11 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

I think Raty and Karlsson are ready for NHL hockey. Sasson is close. Lekkerimaki has the skill but could use some seasoning in Abotsford. Wolanen could be an option over Forbort. 

Pretty much how I saw it too.   Forbort got caught in some bad spots and put a couple of our guys (dpetey one of them) in bad spots with his passing.  Interesting note, Forbort was paired with Freidman and Wolainan with Myers.  

• Cheers 1

Wooo!  Feels good to crack a beer and watch a Canucks win again. Trying to keep the highs mediocre and ignore the lows as it is only one preseason game. Silovs proving he can hold the fort while Demmer heals up. Höglander was everywhere tonight. Myers throwing his size around and making (overall) decent decisions. Raty looks like the rookie to watch make opening night to me. The faceoffs and power play looked great from him. D Petey is getting some bad press, but I think some quick reps with coaches and a few less turnovers and he will be fine. A decent if sloppy effort and a nice team W. Oh yeah, and a beautiful bomb from Hronek too!

• Cheers 1

I’ve never watched Raty and not seen an NHL player. Don’t need him in Vancouver right out the gate, but he will play. Keep working with Henrik - you’ll be just fine, kid.

Arty is a fun time. He’s a bit of an adventure in the crease, more of a wild stallion than we’re used to with Demmer. But I’ve always got a smile on my face watching the way he plays.

Lekkerimaki… somehow exceeding already lofty expectations.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

My take on a very small sample size

Plenty to like about a few of the young guys like Karlsson , Aman, Raty. I thought they all gave a good account of themselves.

Silovs was outstanding, gives you warm fuzzies with Demko not 100% yet.

Myers and Hronek already look switched on and very keen to play.

Lekkiramaki may not start the season on the team but if he doesnt ( waivers etc) then you dont want to get injured as you might just lose your spot permanently ( he looks like the real deal to me) 

I was less than impressed by Heinen ( but he needs to play with team mates to get a better feel), and Blais didnt excite me much either. Both solid but nothing to write home about. Lots of pre season to gel with team mates.

You can see how big the gap is between being a great junior and then playing NHL teams as the speed got to Pettersen, but he has a while before he should be expected to fill a D role on this team ( let him find his game in the AHL)

Lastly Hoglander had a great game. Lots of energy, i see a good year for a lot of these players as competition for spots are on the line and anyone can bump you down if you dont bring it!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Silovs, Raty, and Hog my players of the game. Lekkerimaki an honorable mention.

I keep hearing the media narrative that we don't have enough young guys pushing for spots.  With Lekker, Raty, Karlsson, Silovs, DPetey, and Sasson in this game we have a bunch of guys pushing for spots.  Throw in Willander, Woo, McWard, Hirose and Bains and we have maybe the most nhl-capable farm system I can remember. 

Edited by DixonWard
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I was at the game and had great seats to be an amateur scout. Here's my take

1. I'd be extremely surprised if D-Petey and Alriksson don't develop in quality NHL players. D-peteys agility and quickness was impressive off the puck, and his IQ to get back in position in transition stood out a lot too. Alriksson most of the times looked like a polished vet put there and the kid is only 18. He has a future I'm sure of it.

2. I don't think Lek will make opening night due to cap/asset management but boy I really don't think he'll be in Abby long. The kid is unreal and a star in the making. His ability to read the play is that of a special player. He was consistently open and making the right plays with the puck. Didn't know he plays LW.... so I'm sold on a Lek - Miller - Boeser line over a Debrusk - Petey - Lek line. Boeser played off Lek all night... which is extremely impressive to me as by all accounts they've never played together nor even practiced together as a line.

3. Raty is pushing the envelope here that's for sure. So is Karlsson. We could very well have 5-6 potential NHL lines. If you ask me I think a trade is incoming to clear out at least one top 18 forward., and my guess is Aman as he would probably bring back the most value over a guy like PDG.

4. Vets/regulars were solid

I actually think Leki will make at least the opening day roster specifically due to the cap and how performance bonuses overage is calculated. Having him on the opening roster gives us overage cushion. 

28 minutes ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

I actually think Leki will make at least the opening day roster specifically due to the cap and how performance bonuses overage is calculated. Having him on the opening roster gives us overage cushion. 

Yes but if he makes opening season roster they'd have to expose one or two players to waivers to not go in LTIR with Demko, Joshua and Poolman out.

If they don't want to go in LTIR and keep Demko, Joshua and Poolman on IR than canucks can only start with a 21 men roster.

If Lekk makes it than they'll most likely have to expose Friedman, Juulsen, Aman and PDG to waivers.

Now if Blueger needs to start on IR too than the only way to not go in LTIR is by starting the season with 20 men, no extra player.

In that case I don't think Lekk makes it ... it would be poor asset management.

I honestly think Raty is ready, but because he doesn't require waivers he might get victimized by contract freedom. His shot is heavy, he was good in the dot, he moves the puck well. I know it's early, but I think he could and should make the roster. Same deal with Linus Karlsson.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So here's what Tocchet said abou Raty after the game :

“There hasn’t been a day where he hasn’t worked his ass off. He always had his motor running and he’s trying to make the team. That’s what I’m looking for.”   

Hearing that, can anyone think of any credible reason why Tocchet would rather have Aman in his lineup than Raty?

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1