[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 1 | Tuesday, September 24th | Seattle @ Vancouver | 7pt/10et | SNP, SN1 | Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC.

Chickenspear

6 hours ago, DixonWard said:

I keep hearing the media narrative that we don't have enough young guys pushing for spots.  With Lekker, Raty, Karlsson, Silovs, DPetey, and Sasson in this game we have a bunch of guys pushing for spots.  Throw in Willander, Woo, McWard, Hirose and Bains and we have maybe the most nhl-capable farm system I can remember. 

Agree 100%... Maybe not the most extravagant players, but there are loads of players, with futures as NHL'ers...

Karlsson and Ratu could play from the start of the season and Silovs will... maybe even Lekkerimaki, although I think, he could be done with a bit of seasoning (thought so with EP40, so there goes how much I know 🙄). 

I thought D-Petey looked engaged, but had a lot of give aways, thus could be done with some time in the AHL, but definitely has the strength to play in the NHL. 

On a side not, I thought the regular Canucks all looked ready, but think Heinen will need a bit of time to find his place...  Love angry Myers... 

• Cheers 1

Hell of a game for pre-season:  high pace and lots of emotion.  Loved how dangerous we looked off the rush.  We've got unreal depth and a great mentality on this  team.  Arty set the vibe in this game:  really strong outing from him.

Lek and Raty showing they belong no matter how the numbers game  sorts out.  Karlsson not far behind.  Lots of other AHL guys looked solid too.  The days of PDG and Aman on the big club may be over, not that I mind them for their roles.

Brock and Lek looked like they've played together for a decade.  It may not work so well with Miller in the mix and doing most of the puck distribution but we need to see it just the same. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DixonWard said:

I keep hearing the media narrative that we don't have enough young guys pushing for spots.  With Lekker, Raty, Karlsson, Silovs, DPetey, and Sasson in this game we have a bunch of guys pushing for spots.  Throw in Willander, Woo, McWard, Hirose and Bains and we have maybe the most nhl-capable farm system I can remember. 

Maybe since the Manitoba Moose days, which is surprising.   Usually the best have minimal AHL time, Brock, EP, QHs had none.   Lekkermaki making a statement he's ready for the big club would be huge for us (this season).   During the JB era, aside from Markstrom and Demko and a few call ups here and there, we had basically nothing in the "farm" as far as Abby goes to get that excited about.   Dahlen...?   Raty is our fourth best prospect right now, which includes Silovs so 3rd given Silovs is expected to graduate this year (that's awesome).

Of the guys we currently have The top five are all expected to play in the NHL, D-Petey in two years, same with Willander.   Lekkermaki likely gets some games this season.    Raty is expected to graduate to the NHL next season too.   Made strides on his two way game last season. 

As far as league wide, we've got a pretty tame prospect pool, and group of 21 and under's,  which is to be expected at this point in our cycle.   It's awfully hard to have a good NHL team or even top one, and still have a great prospect pool paying huge dividends at the same time.   Last team to do that was TB.   They had a top team for years, while boasting a 7-9th pool overall (regularly won adjusted drafting, drafting 28-30th, yet a 7-9th pool is nuts), no surprise once those guys joined the league and broke out, TB became even more of a powerhouse and won cups.   Boston also did this.  

We've got an above average pool considering the picks we've traded away, well below average overall.    In the low 20's for 21 and under's (THN) and 19th by Pronman.    IF Lekkermaki becomes a blue chip star, and Willander QHs long term running mate, weve got a great chance at an extended window.   Raty looks to be a middle six center.     And hungry.   Maybe the "experts" had it wrong and he's ready now.   

The team will need to re-sign Brock.   Almost certainly.    And we won't have room for more than one or two rookies a season without a trade which is fine too.   It's too bad Willander or D-Petey aren't ready to push out a D this year... As for our forward group, it's as deep as ever.   Deepest i've seen since Dixon Ward was playing with us maybe.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DixonWard said:

There was a shift last night when the whistle blew in the Van zone. On the screen 5 of the 6 players had played in Abby together. As you said the farm is deepening a lot. 

• Cheers 2

Karlsson and Raty had great games. Hog fed off them. 

Karlsson has improved season to season for like 5+ years though. He’s made it a norm for him to improve on seasons, even when switching to harder leagues. Hence why I feel Tocchet likes him. 

Raty big improvement. Impressive game. 

Both guys I can see getting a lot of NHL games. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There was a shift last night when the whistle blew in the Van zone. On the screen 5 of the 6 players had played in Abby together. As you said the farm is deepening a lot. 

Reminiscent of the mid 2000's?   The Moose was stacked and those pre-season games sure was nice to see guys like Bieksa, Burrows and Kesler ... could tell good things were coming our way. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Karlsson can continue his trend of constant improvement into the NHL we might have a solid top 9 player here that can play up and down the lineup.

He's a major pain in the ass for other teams too.......a very underrated agitator.  At least he was in Abby

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe since the Manitoba Moose days, which is surprising.   Usually the best have minimal AHL time, Brock, EP, QHs had none.   Lekkermaki making a statement he's ready for the big club would be huge for us (this season).   During the JB era, aside from Markstrom and Demko and a few call ups here and there, we had basically nothing in the "farm" as far as Abby goes to get that excited about.   Dahlen...?   Raty is our fourth best prospect right now, which includes Silovs so 3rd given Silovs is expected to graduate this year (that's awesome).

Of the guys we currently have The top five are all expected to play in the NHL, D-Petey in two years, same with Willander.   Lekkermaki likely gets some games this season.    Raty is expected to graduate to the NHL next season too.   Made strides on his two way game last season. 

As far as league wide, we've got a pretty tame prospect pool, and group of 21 and under's,  which is to be expected at this point in our cycle.   It's awfully hard to have a good NHL team or even top one, and still have a great prospect pool paying huge dividends at the same time.   Last team to do that was TB.   They had a top team for years, while boasting a 7-9th pool overall (regularly won adjusted drafting, drafting 28-30th, yet a 7-9th pool is nuts), no surprise once those guys joined the league and broke out, TB became even more of a powerhouse and won cups.   Boston also did this.  

We've got an above average pool considering the picks we've traded away, well below average overall.    In the low 20's for 21 and under's (THN) and 19th by Pronman.    IF Lekkermaki becomes a blue chip star, and Willander QHs long term running mate, weve got a great chance at an extended window.   Raty looks to be a middle six center.     And hungry.   Maybe the "experts" had it wrong and he's ready now.   

The team will need to re-sign Brock.   Almost certainly.    And we won't have room for more than one or two rookies a season without a trade which is fine too.   It's too bad Willander or D-Petey aren't ready to push out a D this year... As for our forward group, it's as deep as ever.   Deepest i've seen since Dixon Ward was playing with us maybe.   

All good points and I like how the young forwards are coming along. My concern is size and snarl. The Canucks top six or nine forwards young and old. It's lacking. Outside of Joshau and JT I don't see anyone that can scare the opponents. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

All good points and I like how the young forwards are coming along. My concern is size and snarl. The Canucks top six or nine forwards young and old. It's lacking. Outside of Joshau and JT I don't see anyone that can scare the opponents. 

True. But how many good clubs have even two power forwards in their top six nowadays? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

True. But how many good clubs have even two power forwards in their top six nowadays? 

It's the seven game series where it's push against push that concerns me. It's just a light group and Lek, as much as he looks skilled, just adds to my concern.

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's the seven game series where it's push against push that concerns me. It's just a light group and Lek, as much as he looks skilled, just adds to my concern.

Who will we come up against that has more physicality in their top six than we do? Add Brock to the mix of physical players too. He’s 200+ and plays very physical. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I hear you but how's it different than last year? We were arguably one of the most physical teams in the NHL last year and we added Sherwood up front for this season.

Zadorov was a huge part of that but come playoff time I'm sure the back-end will.figure itself out through either natural progression or a trade

Where I'd like to see an improvement is for our 4C. As much as I love Suter I think we have enough depth and quality wings that we could better use a banger that's good defensively In that role like a Nolan Acciari who's my dream 4C but doubt penguins would trade him

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who will we come up against that has more physicality in their top six than we do? Add Brock to the mix of physical players too. He’s 200+ and plays very physical. 

Brock has come a long ways and I give him credit. He's even gotten quicker. But if you consider Brock a very physical player than you and I will never see eye to eye on the subject Alf.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I hear you but how's it different than last year? We were arguably one of the most physical teams in the NHL last year and we added Sherwood up front for this season.

Zadorov was a huge part of that but come playoff time I'm sure the back-end will.figure itself out through either natural progression or a trade

Where I'd like to see an improvement is for our 4C. As much as I love Suter I think we have enough depth and quality wings that we could better use a banger that's good defensively In that role like a Nolan Acciari who's my dream 4C but doubt penguins would trade him

If we have a saving grace in the physicality department it's our D. Same as last year. I see many wanting to see Lek make the top six which is great for skill, but that's a soft top six. 

• Cheers 1

JL is really noticeable, all in a good way. Hockey IQ is off the chart. He was loading up on those one timer feeds from Hronek, but couldn't quite get them in his wheelhouse. I say he plays 9 games until Joshua gets healthy. Raty is damn close and doesn't look out of place, and that goal that the three of them combined on was NHL level. Other kids who stood out were Karlsson and Alfriksson, they were both a pain in the ass to play against. This management team has got some talent to chose from for the first time in years. 

Heinen was very good with Aman on the PK, and at one point held the puck along the boards in the Kraken's end for a good period of time, and then tipped a pass away as the Kraken rushed up the ice. This is going to be a fun year in net too. Silovs is the real deal, and maybe the Lankinen signing lit a fire under his ass. 

Great game, great seats, and I caught a tshirt.

• Like 1