[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 1 | Tuesday, September 24th | Seattle @ Vancouver | 7pt/10et | SNP, SN1 | Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC.

Chickenspear

16 minutes ago, Rekker said:

If we have a saving grace in the physicality department it's our D. Same as last year. I see many wanting to see Lek make the top six which is great for skill, but that's a soft top six. 

Last year the surprise physical player in the playoffs, is now in Boston (Lindholm).     Is De-Brusk an upgrade on that, or a wash?   Hard to say.    As for Lekkermaki, won't judge until I see him play some more  games.   It's easy to think he's going to be soft in the post season.    Yes for sure our D is big and bruising.    And agree we need another banger in our top six.   Hopefully De-Brusk will fill that role.   Not holding my breathe, Lindholm was arguably better then Miller in that department last post season.   At least they got the memo and picked up a bevy of guys whose games are designed for the battle rounds.   Sherwood, Forbot, Heinen, Desharnais, all >> then Aman's of the league.    Nothing rubs me the wrong way more then a Taylor Pyatt upfront (no Sandlak in him) or a guys who don't play their size.     Personally don't think you will find much better in any cup winning roster going back over a decade, then the one we have now in that regard.   Leagues changed.    I do agree we need a banger in our top six.   Maybe Joshua?    The leagues got little "banging" these days.   When's the last time you've seen a hip check? 

13 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Location, location, location.  1963 McNicoll Ave is in Kits Point a block from the water.  That's a pricey neighbourhood.  

I get it but there are nicer and cheaper houses on the water along Point Grey Rd.  
Still seems overpriced by a couple million 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I heard Tocchet talking about being “hard to play against”.  Soft skill vs hard skill. JT, Brock, and Petey are certainly hard skill in our top six. 

they aren't perimeter Smurfs, thats for sure. JT can impose his will on others more than anyone else in the top 6 but Brock isn't afraid to engage in battles. Petey is a different animal, it's been fun to see him get more physically engaged. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 8:47 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I checked.  It doesn't come with an elevator...   😊

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ex-canucks-edler-home

Canucks legend Edler selling Vancouver home for over $8M

Another fascinating piece related to this is another ex-Canucks home we covered. Last August, we told you that ex-Canucks player Oliver Ekman-Larsson was selling his home for $6.8 million. Well, it turns out that home is just a three-minute walk from the one Edler is selling.

Who on earth could afford a 39k a month payment

I mentioned Silovs in an earlier post. I said he was the real deal, and hearing the response from some of those saves he made last night was off the charts loud. I had to remind myself that that was an exhibition game, but those saves were playoff type saves. Our goaltending is in good hands with Arturs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Brock has come a long ways and I give him credit. He's even gotten quicker. But if you consider Brock a very physical player than you and I will never see eye to eye on the subject Alf.

Agreed..

I have yet to hear.... "Great hit by Boeserrrrrr!!!"

I remember some calling him an opportunistic goal scorer. But it's the start of the year maybe he put on some muscle over the summer

Zac Efron GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Raty, Lekkerimaki, Silovs looked great.  I really liked Karllsons game as well.  We may nit have a high end prospect pool, but certainly have some future NHLers in the system. 

I could see a few of the young guys on the opening day roster, with some of our veteran depth being dealt for picks and open cap space.  That is a great problem to have.

All of that is nice and all, but the biggest takeaway from the game for me was Hroneks shot.  If he is healthy and dropping bombs from the point, this is a much different/better team than we had at the end of last season.

2 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

I mentioned Silovs in an earlier post. I said he was the real deal, and hearing the response from some of those saves he made last night was off the charts loud. I had to remind myself that that was an exhibition game, but those saves were playoff type saves. Our goaltending is in good hands with Arturs.

I've been saying this for a long time. Some just don't want to believe it because he's defying the norm and convention. He keeps rising to challenges and passing the tests.

Last year's playoff run was actually the third time in three years that Silovs did something like that in rising to higher challenges.

We're fortunate to have Silovs at this exact time that Demko is dealing with so much uncertainty.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Desmenko 1

35 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Raty, Lekkerimaki, Silovs looked great.  I really liked Karllsons game as well.  We may nit have a high end prospect pool, but certainly have some future NHLers in the system. 

I could see a few of the young guys on the opening day roster, with some of our veteran depth being dealt for picks and open cap space.  That is a great problem to have.

All of that is nice and all, but the biggest takeaway from the game for me was Hroneks shot.  If he is healthy and dropping bombs from the point, this is a much different/better team than we had at the end of last season.

Full credit to this management group and coaching staff. Management completely revamped our AHL development coaches and staff and I think this is one of the main reason why our prospects have developed better in a healthy AHL environment.

For players drafted in the later rounds or free agents out of college/Europe, receiving the right development will give them the best chance to become an NHLer. We may not have many high-end guys, but being able to develop good middle/bottom 6 players are just as important to build team depth.

I firmly believes that with better development, some of our prospects drafted back from 2015-2018 could've been solid NHLers by now, but the last regime pretty much ignore the AHL side of the business and some of those players may not have been able to reach the NHL level as a result.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

MYERS FOR PRE SEASON WAS PLAYING LIKE A 6 MILLION DOLLAR MAN INSTEAD OF HIS 3 MILLION..THE ARLIKKSON SWEDE KID I THINK IF A FUTURE STAR..HE HAS GOOD HANDS FOR BIG GUY CAN SKATE AND WILL GET TOUGHER ..MOST 19 YEAR OLDS DO NOT PLAY LIKE HIM...OUT OF ALL THE DRAFTS OR POTENTIAL PLAYER ID LIKE TO SEE HIM PLAY FEW NHL GAMES AND GO FROM THERE.LETERMAKI VERY GOOD ON HIS FEET GREAT SPEED AND IS NATURAL ON KNOWING WHERE TO BE.

• Like 1

• -dlc- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Last year the surprise physical player in the playoffs, is now in Boston (Lindholm).     Is De-Brusk an upgrade on that, or a wash?   Hard to say.    As for Lekkermaki, won't judge until I see him play some more  games.   It's easy to think he's going to be soft in the post season.    Yes for sure our D is big and bruising.    And agree we need another banger in our top six.   Hopefully De-Brusk will fill that role.   Not holding my breathe, Lindholm was arguably better then Miller in that department last post season.   At least they got the memo and picked up a bevy of guys whose games are designed for the battle rounds.   Sherwood, Forbot, Heinen, Desharnais, all >> then Aman's of the league.    Nothing rubs me the wrong way more then a Taylor Pyatt upfront (no Sandlak in him) or a guys who don't play their size.     Personally don't think you will find much better in any cup winning roster going back over a decade, then the one we have now in that regard.   Leagues changed.    I do agree we need a banger in our top six.   Maybe Joshua?    The leagues got little "banging" these days.   When's the last time you've seen a hip check? 

Joshua was 3rd in the NHL in hits in the playoffs last yea from what I see...he brought physicality. I don't recall Lindholm standing out too much, but I could be wrong.JT has some big assignments and I don't think Lindholm was necessarily arguably better than him.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Beni said:

How was D Petey last night? I unfortunately missed the game. 

He wasnt noticeable good or bad. Which I suppose for a defenseman thats more good than bad.

He definitely needs to show more if he wants to move up in the depth chart for this year. He will have more opportunity though.

Either way he is Abby bound, so getting through a couple preseason games without any major mistakes is a big step for him.

• Cheers 1