[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 1 | Tuesday, September 24th | Seattle @ Vancouver | 7pt/10et | SNP, SN1 | Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC.

Chickenspear

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Agree 100%... Maybe not the most extravagant players, but there are loads of players, with futures as NHL'ers...

Karlsson and Ratu could play from the start of the season and Silovs will... maybe even Lekkerimaki, although I think, he could be done with a bit of seasoning (thought so with EP40, so there goes how much I know 🙄). 

I thought D-Petey looked engaged, but had a lot of give aways, thus could be done with some time in the AHL, but definitely has the strength to play in the NHL. 

On a side not, I thought the regular Canucks all looked ready, but think Heinen will need a bit of time to find his place...  Love angry Myers... 

I think the issue is we have too many fringe young guys, and not enough actual NHL caliber young guys.

Raty, Karlsson, Bains, Wolanin etc. these guys have had many opportunities to impress and they are still very much fringe NHL'ers at best. As much as we love our young guys, they are not showing anything close to be regular NHL players. I'm glad they are getting a chance, but I'm not holding much hope.

Lekkerimaki and Silovs are really the only true young players showing they are capable of NHL talent at the moment.

BUT all we need is 1 or two of the above players, or even Alriksson or Blais to break out and we are in a really good spot. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I think the issue is we have too many fringe young guys, and not enough actual NHL caliber young guys.

Raty, Karlsson, Bains, Wolanin etc. these guys have had many opportunities to impress and they are still very much fringe NHL'ers at best. As much as we love our young guys, they are not showing anything close to be regular NHL players. I'm glad they are getting a chance, but I'm not holding much hope.

Lekkerimaki and Silovs are really the only true young players showing they are capable of NHL talent at the moment.

BUT all we need is 1 or two of the above players, or even Alriksson or Blais to break out and we are in a really good spot. 

I think both Karlsson in particular look ok the first 2 periods... I get, what you are saying, and yes, we don't have top line players outside perhaps Lekkerimaki coming through, but I think Ray has a good chance of being an NHL'er... They will need more marinating in the AHL, but that is not a problem... We need bottom 6 players coming through as well on cheap contracts, and I think they will...

On a side note yes id D-Petey or Alriksson or the likes could break through it would be massive... both still young so I think at least D-Petey will become an NHL'er...

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

So here's what Tocchet said abou Raty after the game :

“There hasn’t been a day where he hasn’t worked his ass off. He always had his motor running and he’s trying to make the team. That’s what I’m looking for.”   

Hearing that, can anyone think of any credible reason why Tocchet would rather have Aman in his lineup than Raty?

Best argument is so Aman can sit on the press box and Raty can play lots of games so he is ready and able in the playoffs and/or next year.

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Joshua was 3rd in the NHL in hits in the playoffs last yea from what I see...he brought physicality. I don't recall Lindholm standing out too much, but I could be wrong.JT has some big assignments and I don't think Lindholm was necessarily arguably better than him.

Lindholm was regularly hitting guys, Joshua would have 8 hits, Lindholm was sometimes  next on the team (don't remember what game, think he was second with 5 that night, and averaging 3 a night so not too shabby), he was the surprise hitter for the forward group for me anyways.   JT Miller definitely brought his usual brand of hockey, carried the mail in the playoffs and regular season.    Those three were the ones in the top nine doing their thing.   De-Brusk and Sherwood will bring it this year for sure. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I don't know that they've had "many" opportunities. I think it's a matter of only some who will easily just slide into the NHL and others who do take time to ease in.

We've seen in the past how giving up on players too early can come back to haunt us. So I'd say maybe after this year we'll know a bit more and have a clearer assessment.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JayDangles said:

He wasnt noticeable good or bad. Which I suppose for a defenseman thats more good than bad.

He definitely needs to show more if he wants to move up in the depth chart for this year. He will have more opportunity though.

Either way he is Abby bound, so getting through a couple preseason games without any major mistakes is a big step for him.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was assuming. I knew he was going to need some AHL time for sure