[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 2 | Wednesday, September 25th | Calgary vs Vancouver | 7pt/10et | Stream on Canucks.com | Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC.

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Nitpicking. Both Brisebois and Woo were Benning picks. They won't be making the team. They will slowly fade out. 

Okay… but you are watching his team lol. 
I don’t understand the hate for a guy who gave us a Norris winner, 40 goal scorer, 2 100pt players as well as Hart and Selke candidates and a Vezina runner up

Demko

Boeser

Miller

Pettersson

Hughes

Hoglander and oh that Silovs the saviour guy.

Garland

Myers 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Looking at our cap situation, I know the intent is not to put DJ, Poolman and Demko on LTIR 

https://capwages.com/teams/vancouver_canucks

That means we will most likely run with 12 forwards 7 D and 3 goalies and be 90k below cap. 

This means, there's actually only 1 forward spot up for grabs (as DJ is 13th forward while injured) 

So basically Aman, Raty Karlsson and Lekkermaki for that one spot. 

I think Aman is the only waiver eligible player which means Raty Karlsson or Lekkermaki has to completely outplay Aman to have canucks risk losing him to waivers. 

Looks like roster is pretty set. 

They should just narrow it down and start practicing special teams and line chemistry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I don’t understand the hate for a guy who gave us a Norris winner, 40 goal scorer, 2 100pt players as well as Hart and Selke candidates and a Vezina runner up

Demko

Boeser

Miller

Pettersson

Hughes

Garland

Myers 

Because he was a moron who couldn’t fill in a good supporting cast without screwing up the cap and (therefore) losing important players to free agency. Add to that his draft record actually sucked pucks considering where he was drafting from. 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Demko

Boeser

Miller

Pettersson

Hughes

Garland

Myers 

Lol hard to argue that list. 

I am thankful for the core that Benning drafted. 

He missed on some high picks (Juolevi and Virtanen) but the list is pretty good. 

Problem with Benning is that he also made a few blunders that evened out a lot of his good moves (Roussel, Beagle, Dickinson, Juolevi, Virtanen , Poolman, Myers @6m)

He was poor at icing a competitive team. He had too many holes. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Looking at our cap situation, I know the intent is not to put DJ, Poolman and Demko on LTIR 

https://capwages.com/teams/vancouver_canucks

That means we will most likely run with 12 forwards 7 D and 3 goalies and be 90k below cap. 

This means, there's actually only 1 forward spot up for grabs (as DJ is 13th forward while injured) 

So basically Aman, Raty Karlsson and Lekkermaki for that one spot. 

I think Aman is the only waiver eligible player which means Raty Karlsson or Lekkermaki has to completely outplay Aman to have canucks risk losing him to waivers. 

Looks like roster is pretty set. 

They should just narrow it down and start practicing special teams and line chemistry

Raty is absolutely outplaying Aman. We need a centre who is defensively responsible and can be good on the right side dot. Raty has been very good on both accounts. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because he was a moron who couldn’t fill in a good supporting cast without screwing up the cap and (therefore) losing important players to free agency. Add to that his draft record actually sucked pucks considering where he was drafting from. 

He assembled the core, he also got hit with a frozen cap out of nowhere right after acquiring Toffoli and having upcoming contract negotiations with our youth.

Go take his 1st round draft position and start from 2000 until you hit 2016 and tell me just how bad it is. He also drafted the 7th most NHLers to play over 75 games, thats with Toronto and Edmonton being 2 teams ahead of him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Raty is absolutely outplaying Aman. We need a centre who is defensively responsible and can be good on the right side dot. Raty has been very good on both accounts. 

I would love to see Raty make the team (and slowly make his way up the C depth chart too) - I just wonder about this switch-hit faceoff trick, does that actually give Tocchet a right-side faceoff option or will teams have it figured out two games into the season?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yeah I've really liked Raty's play. It'll be interesting to see if he's done enough to usurp Aman. RT sure seems to like Raty and have really only said positive things about him. Hes been great on the dot as you mentioned. Yeah maybe this is the year a rookie takes someone's job

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Demko

Boeser

Miller

Pettersson

Hughes

Garland

Myers 

How in the world are you getting hate out of anything I said ... I agree with you.

Brisbois and Woo were waived ... two Benning draft picks are slowly fading ... it's the truth, fact, not a judgement on Benning.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

I don't think Lekkerimaki is making the team to start. I think tocchet likes PDG... even though he has hands of stone
otherwise i think you are close to what I was thinking. Raty is outplaying Aman. Maybe Sasson over Aman

I agree Lek looks like he isn't ready, his shot is but his frame maybe not so much.. however I read somewhere that if he's penciled in on opening night we can accrue his performance bonuses against the cap for later in the year. I might be wrong or not understanding the Uber complex cba but if it benefits this team financially, I think he stays for a couple games to show his worth.

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think that belongs to Räty and Lekkerimäki. 

Then what happens to Åman, PDG and Karlsson? 

Anyone thinks that those guys would be claimed if they have to go through waivers? 

I think Aman and Karlsson would get claimed for sure, though…early season is the best time to try, when all teams are sending guys down hoping they’ll clear.

I think Raty makes it, then a toss up between Lekkerimaki and Karlsson, based on what I’ve seen and would probably lean towards giving Lekk huge minutes in AHL

Edited by arsenalian
Clarity

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

I would love to see Raty make the team (and slowly make his way up the C depth chart too) - I just wonder about this switch-hit faceoff trick, does that actually give Tocchet a right-side faceoff option or will teams have it figured out two games into the season?

That’s a good point. But at least Raty is starting the season as good in the right side dot. Aman wouldn’t be. Got to go with the guy who can take some of the hard minutes from JTM. Raty is showing he can do that. Plus Raty has more runway of development that will occur as he matures. Aman is what he is. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol hard to argue that list. 

I am thankful for the core that Benning drafted. 

He missed on some high picks (Juolevi and Virtanen) but the list is pretty good. 

Problem with Benning is that he also made a few blunders that evened out a lot of his good moves (Roussel, Beagle, Dickinson, Juolevi, Virtanen , Poolman, Myers @6m)

He was poor at icing a competitive team. He had too many holes. 

Well JV was an aquaweenie pick. Benning was hired right before that draft.

OJ was an organizational need, which in the end worked out best for us not taking Tkapuke. Our draft position would have been impacted, we would have missed EP40 and QH and Tkapuke left in the end.

beagle was brought in for cup experience and to play a crucial role in the bottom 6. A lot of Bennings signings were to bring in cup experience/highly experienced veterans to assist in development at the NHL level. It was just like when Sundin was brought In, it changed everything in the locker room and the twins spoke about that and how important that was when they saw how he handled every game.

Benning specifically targeted cup winning experience up front, on the back end and in the net. He brought guys in to help shape the youth. look what a lack of veteran presence did for EDM for so many years or ARZ, BUF etc etc.

He rebuilt the core and helped provide them the best chance to grow into stars.

cant expect a guy to rebuild AND win a cup at the same time. He had to replace the entire 2011 core and had nothing in the pipeline to truly takeover plus no real valuable assets to speed things up. 2 expansion drafts, a frozen cap, a cap recapture, a pandemic, growing pains (Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser)

2021-22 we missed playoffs because of Petterssons horrendous first half. 24 games pointless through 40 games playing top minutes and #1 PP.

Demko was injured the following season and Spencer Martin was the leagues worst goalie.

Myers 6mil deal did not prevent us from being a legit contender last years so that excuse doesn’t work and he played a huge role all season and post season and had been playing to that level the whole time, just no one here seemed to notice.

Edit: to add to JBs impact on drafting and development…. He rebuilt our scouting department (still current) and brought Abbotsford to our very own backyard for stronger more detailed development.

He brought guys up the right way and made sure they are given the best chance to succeed and keep the wheels rolling on a contending franchise

Edited by AnthonyG

11 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

How in the world are you getting hate out of anything I said ... I agree with you.

Brisbois and Woo were waived ... two Benning draft picks are slowly fading ... it's the truth, fact, not a judgement on Benning.

It’s just what’s the need to point out Benning specifically, you are pleased to see his draft picks slowly fade out. It’s an intentional jab at him and you make a statement saying about the “previous regime” 

Just so you know, that scouting department is Jim Bennings staff.  So his impact is still there with every pick.

Edited by AnthonyG

16 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Demko

Boeser

Miller

Pettersson

Hughes

Garland

Myers 

When you are a bottom dweller for years and years and YEARS you are supposed to stock up on young talent.

Management is so much more than drafting bpa. There's contracts trades DEVELOPMENT.

for all those players you mention I can post the contrary.

Virtanen

Juolevi

McCann

Podkolzin

etc.

Then there's salary cap suicide with 

Eriksson

Beagle

Roussel

Then theres even more salary cap suicide when he not only gives shitty contracts he picks them up too. Trades those 3 mentioned above in their final year for OEL and his 7+ mill hit

then theres poor asset management

trading good draft picks away like they're candy, letting tanev walk for nothing and so many other poor moves, too many to name..

The only good move that Jim "i ran out of time" Benning deserves credit for was the Miller trade.

Thank God he's gone and whether the teams core was mostly brought in by him or not... do you honestly think he would have righted the ship?

There's a reason why he's unemployed. And most likely won't ever have another GM job.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

It’s just what’s the need to point out Benning specifically, you are pleased to see his draft picks slowly fade out. It’s an intentional jab at him and you make a statement saying about the “previous regime” 

Just so you know, that scouting department is Jim Bennings staff.  So his impact is still there with every pick.

Wow! You're reading me 100% completely the wrong way on this. Of course his impact is still here.

I never said I was pleased to see them go at all. I said that I had high hopes for both of those players and that it shows how elevated the talent pool is from the previous regime. It simply became increasingly harder for Brisbois and Woo to make the team as a result.

It's the truth, our evolution, not an "intentional" jab at Benning. 

You're reading into something that isn't there. 

6 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

When you are a bottom dweller for years and years and YEARS you are supposed to stock up on young talent.

Management is so much more than drafting bpa. There's contracts trades DEVELOPMENT.

Virtanen

Juolevi

McCann

Podkolzin

etc.

Eriksson

Beagle

Roussel

Then theres even more salary cap suicide when he not only gives shitty contracts he picks them up too. Trades those 3 mentioned above in their final year for OEL and his 7+ mill hit

trading good draft picks away like they're candy, letting tanev walk for nothing and so many other poor moves, too many to name..

The only good move that Jim "i ran out of time" Benning deserves credit for was the Miller trade.

Thank God he's gone and whether the teams core was mostly brought in by him or not... do you honestly think he would have righted the ship?

There's a reason why he's unemployed. And most likely won't ever have another GM job.

And I can post countless top 5 picks that never worked out. I can show that JV was progressing and his ice time was reduced further and further for every season he increased his totals and he was given more dzone duties/starts than ozone opportunities.

The miller trade is the only thing??

rebuilding our scouting department after that 2014 draft that Aquaweenie had JV as the guy we were to take? Francesco wanted Virtanen and you as a Canucks fan should know that Aquilini loves to meddle.

Sure the OJ one is all on Benning, you can go back redo the draft and enjoy watching Huberdone drag the team down. Be thankful we took OJ because MT had a direct impact on the standings which would have resulted in missing EP and QH.

Oh and thanks for bringing the farm to the backyard Benning. 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Wow! You're reading me 100% completely the wrong way on this. Of course his impact is still here.

I never said I was pleased to see them go at all. I said that I had high hopes for both of those players and that it shows how elevated the talent pool is from the previous regime. It simply became increasingly harder for Brisbois and Woo to make the team as a result.

It's the truth, our evolution, not an "intentional" jab at Benning. 

You're reading into something that isn't there. 

My apologies. It just comes across that way, my bad for assuming. There is just constant Benning bashing here and it’s hard to differentiate what’s a bitter jab and what’s not

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, nergish said:

Dunno Alf. It’s definitely passable, but that’s not a top D corps to my eyes. Gotta think that’s where we make our next move, in-season or deadline.

But that’s something I’ve thought about myself - what if Willander has a huge developmental season in college, and is ready to sign before the playoffs? 

Thing is, we have arguably the best coaching staff in the league. I mean, COTY last year says something, but they truly are an unbelievably good coaching staff and development team.

We used to be the team where our players would go to other teams and they'd thrive under better coaching. Now we're that team. Watch a bunch of guys thrive under Tocc & Co. again this year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Virtanen

Juolevi

McCann

Podkolzin

etc.

Eriksson

Beagle

Roussel

Can you remind me who we had to help “stock” up on talent with? All those MG NMC NTCs thanks Hamhuis and Edler for refusing to waive, the twins retired…. So 4 guys no returns… Hansen, Burrows, Bieksa…. And our best return was a 2nd?

tell me what was LE hurting. What were beagle and roussel holding us back from 2 years removed from the Twins and not a playoff berth the previous 4 seasons? Oh wait that’s right they helped us actually make the playoffs and win a round AND brought up experience.