[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 2 | Wednesday, September 25th | Calgary vs Vancouver | 7pt/10et | Stream on Canucks.com | Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC.

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

24 minutes ago, nzan said:

Aw man - I can just let most of this stuff go - but Hughes an atrocity in his own end?

Like one or two games maybe when he was 21?

This is just not backed by truth.

Boeser, a "one trick poney" before he had REAL NHL head coaching him.  Now he's a FAR MORE complete player.  

18 hours ago, Shekky said:

I think its just the time of the year where they are getting the rust out and getting back into the routine again. Not to mention that with a lot of change in the line up, the players need to get used to their new linemates.

While true same goes for the opposing team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nzan said:

Aw man - I can just let most of this stuff go - but Hughes an atrocity in his own end?

Like one or two games maybe when he was 21?

This is just not backed by truth.

It’s pretty well known his 2020-21 season was ugly.

56GP

all situations 

64oiGF

60oiGA

60 give aways

5v5 

36oiGF

50oiGA

He was heavily outscored at 5v5 and was a -24

his defensive point shares was 1.0………… he was a nightmare in his own zone.

he also saw a 12% drop in possession when he was on the ice.

Also just think about this….

so Hughes gets considerably favoured offensive zone starts, which would indicate he spends a lot of time in the offensive zone

To keep it simple we’ll use 20mins even to compare him and Myers for fun. And I’m just using straight up TOI to match their zone start % to give you an idea of how much of a liability QH was… and also how much he struggled 5v5 for offence and also how unappreciated Myers has been since he arrived.

Say QH had 60%ozS and Myers had 40% (this is almost the exact number)

That would mean 60% of 20 is 12 mins TOI in the offensive zone and only 8 in the dzone

For Myers it’s 8mins ozone and 12dzone

Myers has 1.5x more TOI in his own zone than Hughes… Hughes has 1.5x more TOI in the offensive zone

Myers in 56gp in all situations was on the ice for

49GF

66GA 

.906sv%

at 5v5

35GF

44GA

.915sv%

Now for Hughes

All situations 

64GF

60GA

.891sv%

5v5

36GF

50GA

.898sv%

With over 200 more minutes in the offensive zone, Hughes produced 15 more goals total… at 5v5 his line scored 1 more goal than Myers who had 20% more defensive zone starts….. 1.5x less minutes of opportunity to score… and Hughes allowed nearly the same amount of goals in far less time spent in the D zone.

I would love to know the true minutes spent in each zone to really understand just how bad a players GA/60 actually is

Edited by AnthonyG

17 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

It’s pretty well known his 2020-21 season was ugly.

56GP

all situations 

64oiGF

60oiGA

60 give aways

5v5 

36oiGF

50oiGA

He was heavily outscored at 5v5 and was a -24

his defensive point shares was 1.0………… he was a nightmare in his own zone.

he also saw a 12% drop in possession when he was on the ice.

Also just think about this….

so Hughes gets considerably favoured offensive zone starts, which would indicate he spends a lot of time in the offensive zone

To keep it simple we’ll use 20mins even to compare him and Myers for fun. And I’m just using straight up TOI to match their zone start % to give you an idea of how much of a liability QH was… and also how much he struggled 5v5 for offence and also how unappreciated Myers has been since he arrived.

Say QH had 60%ozS and Myers had 40% (this is almost the exact number)

That would mean 60% of 20 is 12 mins TOI in the offensive zone and only 8 in the dzone

For Myers it’s 8mins ozone and 12dzone

Myers has 1.5x more TOI in his own zone than Hughes… Hughes has 1.5x more TOI in the offensive zone

Myers in 56gp in all situations was on the ice for

49GF

66GA 

.906sv%

at 5v5

35GF

44GA

.915sv%

Now for Hughes

All situations 

64GF

60GA

.891sv%

5v5

36GF

50GA

.898sv%

With over 200 more minutes in the offensive zone, Hughes produced 15 more goals total… at 5v5 his line scored 1 more goal than Myers who had 20% more defensive zone starts….. 1.5x less minutes of opportunity to score… and Hughes allowed nearly the same amount of goals in far less time spent in the D zone.

I would love to know the true minutes spent in each zone to really understand just how bad a players GA/60 actually is

WTF's the point of all this though? Who cares?

4 years ago...what was the team like? What was happening (COVID) - everything was a mess.

I'll have to go back to see what started the Quinn shitfest, but anyone who's not on board with Huggy ... probably should be. 

OK and.....in going back. So Benning bashing's not ok but Hughes bashing is? I do see that you were addressing a discussion that was pretty involved but damn. Huggy's on a level all his own and going back in time to rip on him to prove something about Benning. Just too much for me. I hope like hell we're not also going back to trading Miller for a bag of pucks. Where we are now matters.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

29 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

4 years ago...what was the team like? What was happening (COVID) - everything was a mess.

I'll have to go back to see what started the Quinn shitfest, but anyone who's not on board with Huggy ... probably should be. 

OK and.....in going back. So Benning bashing's not ok but Hughes bashing is? I do see that you were addressing a discussion that was pretty involved but damn. Huggy's on a level all his own and going back in time to rip on him to prove something about Benning. Just too much for me. I hope like hell we're not also going back to trading Miller for a bag of pucks. Where we are now matters.

Do you really reed that??????Negative side of covid affecting you???/

44 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Do you really reed that??????Negative side of covid affecting you???/

I'm extra grumpy today. Testing negative but my symptoms are worse. 

I just don't think Quinn deserves criticism at this point...he's the best d man we've ever had.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Woah woah woah take another deep breath and re-read a bit more. 

I am speaking about the growing pains our youth went through and each individual player had their well documented down season. 

It’s been a motor with a misfire every season until last.. finally after all the trials and tribulations of growth and gaining experience we finally saw every star player, playing like a star, all at the same time for the first time.

What I was getting at is last seasons success, we have had the recipe the whole time. Maybe not contenders the 3 seasons prior but we have 100% had a playoff team had everyone been playing well at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Woah woah woah take another deep breath and re-read a bit more. 

I am speaking about the growing pains our youth went through and each individual player had their well documented down season. 

It’s been a motor with a misfire every season until last.. finally after all the trials and tribulations of growth and gaining experience we finally saw every star player, playing like a star, all at the same time for the first time.

What I was getting at is last seasons success, we have had the recipe the whole time. Maybe not contenders the 3 seasons prior but we have 100% had a playoff team had everyone been playing well at the same time.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm extra grumpy today. Testing negatives but my symptoms are worse. 

I just don't think Quinn deserves criticism at this point...he's the best d man we've ever had.

sorry Ive been out of the loop-did you catch covid?

I had an absolutely brutal case of it in late july/august.  brutal seems like an understatement 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, sure did.

Again.

This round's brutal for me, too. Today I've taken a drastic step backwards...thought I was good to go but apparently not.

Glad you're ok now...it's not fun.

Dang, I feel for you.

Hoping youre able to manage some eating/sleeping and are not too feverish (though I imagine this could definitely be the case 😬).  Hang in there and hopefully youve got some support.  I cant imagine people coping alone with the really nasty cases of it.  You literally contemplate whether youre gonna die (ok maybe im over exaggerating but anyone who has had a bad case knows what im saying lol)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bruuk said:

Boeser is fantastic defensively now. Such a good positional player and arguably the highest hockey IQ on the Canucks.

Sets up screens in front of the net as well.  Even when he doesn't have the puck, he's doing useful things on the ice.  He wasn't like that before Tocchet (imho).  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Goose said:

Dang, I feel for you.

Hoping youre able to manage some eating/sleeping and are not too feverish (though I imagine this could definitely be the case 😬).  Hang in there and hopefully youve got some support.  I cant imagine people coping alone with the really nasty cases of it.  You literally contemplate whether youre gonna die (ok maybe im over exaggerating but anyone who has had a bad case knows what im saying lol)

Nope, not exaggerating...I get it. At times, it crosses my mind..."is this it?"

Blood ox went down to 91 for a bit today. It's been 95 at the peak of this so that surprised me. Feel like this one's getting deep into my lungs now.

I have support (daughter dropped off groceries last night) but it is kind of scary at times for sure.

Thanks SO much for the kind words. "Medicine"

• Huggy Bear 3

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sets up screens in front of the net as well.  Even when he doesn't have the puck, he's doing useful things on the ice.  He wasn't like that before Tocchet (imho).  

I also do think you have to factor in all that was going on in his life.

I'm sure that back injury made him a bit more cautious about stuff like net front presence...where crosschecks in the back are the norm.

He's up'd his training and seems super focused now that the distractions are behind him (sounds awful....a dying parent is obviously monumental and the only really important thing). .But he was packing a lot on his shoulders.

This is his time to shine and I'm super happy for him.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's for us what Jeff Carter was to LA in his prime, in terms of importance, clutch in the playoffs and overall effect on the team.

He's that piece that, if we win a cup, is going to be a key part of it. And heck, where he lacks in speed and the ability to play centre that prime Carter has over him, I think he's a better goal scorer.

Impressive as hell.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Nope, not exaggerating...I get it. At times, it crosses my mind..."is this it?"

Blood ox went down to 91 for a bit today. It's been 95 at the peak of this so that surprised me. Feel like this one's getting deep into my lungs now.

I have support (daughter dropped off groceries last night) but it is kind of scary at times for sure.

Thanks SO much for the kind words. "Medicine"

Never surrender.If you have fever mix little white vinegar with water ,put socks in,and put on your feet.Dont let fever go on lungs.As for lungs it is normal that every virus attack lungs.You will have side effects for a long time. Now that you are tested free of covid,some massage could help😊.

• Haha 1