Golf

-dlc-

Anyone here play? (I don't but I'm thinking of giving it a go) Dad was a great golfer, brother/son golf. I played a few rounds back in the day and held my own so I don't think I'll be too much of a hazard out there.

I hate that there was recent talk of getting rid of golf courses in the Lower Mainland so developers can devour these spaces. No. We need green spaces and, as much as they liked to frame it as something for the elite few, that's BS. Yes, golf can be expensive (to become a member of a club) but we need MORE places to engage in physical activity and outdoor healthy living, not less.

What about watching golf? I'm currently watching the President's Cup. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd actually turn golf (or curling) on but here I am.

Love that "Hughes" (Canadian) shot gunned a beer on the first hole. FTR, he's not playing today...he's the cheerleader.

• Like 2

I haven't played since I moved back to BC in 2012.

I used to play several times a year - but the costs for a round are just insane (last time I played and paid - it was $110, I can just imagine what it is now) and not worth the frustration of swinging at a little white ball.  🙂

I still have my clubs for some reason, I even got a new golf bag that has never seen a golf course.
I got it as a "going away" present when I was let go from Petro Canada/Suncor.  

Watching golf?  No thanks, about as exciting as watching baseball.

• Haha 1

I love golfing! 
its an expensive hobby but i really enjoy being in that environment and crushing balls.  
im subscribed to the golf channel and enjoy watching all the tutorial segments.
that said, im pretty terrible at it tbh...my short game is a disaster lol. ⛳
its best to not keep score and just have fun if you are new to the game imo.
have fun!

• Like 1

Also....as corny/silly as it is, one movie that'll always make me laugh is Happy Gilmore. I've seen it at least half a dozen times.

I was at the driving range a couple of years ago with Dad and I "made" a shot (unintentionally) that Dad said was a perfect shot and one he'd never seen before.

Teed up the ball, gave it a good swing and the ball went up in the air and then right back down on the tee in perfect position! (I don't know if he was being sarcastic or serious).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Golf- paying money to walk on someone else's lawn.

It can be super relaxing. I mean even here in Richmond.....when we go to the driving range it feels like you've been removed from the hustle/bustle of it all. Deer usually make an appearance nearby.

I live close to the country club and it's just nice to have places that offer some quiet. Stech is a member there (my sister in law used to work there).

• Upvote 1

My Bff is a golfer, has the same name as his Dad; so they used to 'share' a membership.

Fun game, good socializing, ok exercise, ok sport- if you can keep the cost down.

also -never take it too seriously.

I mean really, you are using an oddly shaped stick, to hit a small ball, down at ground level. As long as the ball ends up if front of you- you are doing great.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Cant stand the game, don’t like golf courses scarring the beautiful land so silly rich people can walk around in ugly outfits. 
‘But, I have a fairly extreme opinion on this dumb ass game. 

Would you rather see blocks of condos there?

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Would you rather see blocks of condos there?

As someone currently looking for a home in Vancouver and seeing what they cost, yes I would absolutely prefer to see that.
I wouldn’t really count a golf course as a community green space as they aren’t ecologically very friendly and are only open to a very few people at a time. Would rather see green spaces that are useful to more of the population and not pumping the ground water full of as many chemicals. 
But, again, I recognize that I have an extreme view and dislike of the sport. 

Edited by DrJockitch

I love golf.  I play weekly with my Dad at the Par 3 at our local rec center (Juan De Fuca rec, just outside of Victoria).  I can't think of many better ways to spend time with my Dad.

It's also the dumbest game on Earth.  :towel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I really miss our little par 3 course on No. 5 Road here (Mylora). My son learned how to golf there in a junior golf program that my Dad got him involved in.

Kind of ironic that it was bought out with a plan to build a school on the property....coincidentally, the school that I just worked at for the past 4 years. The plan fell through as councillors opposed the project (agricultural land - which is a joke if you see the concrete monstrosity the temple just south of it is building). Despite it being the "highway to heaven" with numerous churches/schools along the route, because it was not a religious school it was turned down. So ridiculous.

But now it sits as derelict old buildings in overgrowth. A boat and some storage sheds sitting on the property. An eyesore and every time I drive past it, I feel sad that we lost that little gem. Barbecues on Fridays were a big hit with us and the community lost a great gathering space.

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone"

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If it's affordable housing, schools, hospitals, fire departments, parks. Yes. 

Climate change is very real so I hate seeing wide open spaces (yes, that do have drawbacks) developed into anything. I mean, I'm sure there are other locations that could be looked at without removing a place where people can enjoy green space, fresh air and exercise.

And "affordable housing" is always initially sold to us that way....but can "develop" into something much different. More speculating and less actual housing for those who need it the most.

461286745_10161296720745549_368430421271461259138_10161296720720549_843724916004

As for "schools"...the school we were kicked out of now sits vacant. It's old and could be knocked down/rebuilt but no....owner wants to ?? It's empty and is only zoned light industrial (or school). But I'm sure he thinks condos will be his best bet and is vying for that plan to come to fruition.

I used to be really into golf. When I was younger, I used to belong to a great club back east. I was decently ok and could hold my own. Last time I golfed was in 2007 in Mexico. Was fun and freeing.

What kicked me out of golf, though, was how it was also a social status, popularity obligation to be seen and fit in with a certain crowd. I get it from the networking aspect of things but I just found that a lot of guys I know were seemingly faking their love of golf just to fit into a certain crowd and social hierarchy. Then it became who had the best clubs, who had the best bag, who had the best outfit, who played this course, who played that course, all the one-up stuff. It was all just really inauthentic and I didn't love the game enough to pretend I loved doing all that.

Now, a casual game with friends on a weekend on an uncrowded hidden-gem of a course, I'm into that. I still like watching it. Also love the evolution of technology and its influence on the game.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Climate change is very real so I hate seeing side open spaces (yes, that do have drawbacks) developed into anything.

And "affordable housing" is always initially sold to us that way....but can "develops" into something much different. More speculating and less actual housing for those who need it the most.

461286745_10161296720745549_368430421271461259138_10161296720720549_843724916004

All this can be done with a park, with native species. Without the waste of water. Trees and shade lower the temperature.  Co-op housing and services done in spots. 

My Dad was an avid golfer and very good at it. I went a few times to the driving range with him. Never saw the long term appeal. It's not like there's a crisis in available golf courses. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I used to be really into golf. When I was younger, I used to belong to a great club back east. I was decently ok and could hold my own. Last time I golfed was in 2007 in Mexico. Was fun and freeing.

What kicked me out of golf, though, was how it was also a social status, popularity obligation to be seen and fit in with a certain crowd. I get it from the networking aspect of things but I just found that a lot of guys I know were seemingly faking their love of golf just to fit into a certain crowd and social hierarchy. Then it became who had the best clubs, who had the best bag, who had the best outfit, who played this course, who played that course, all the one-up stuff. It was all just really inauthentic and I didn't love the game enough to pretend I loved doing all that.

Now, a casual game with friends on a weekend on an uncrowded hidden-gem of a course, I'm into that. I still like watching it. Also love the evolution of technology and its influence on the game.

Yeah, that aspect sucks.

The Delta golf course was/is? not subject to that. Where my Dad golfed and my brother still plays. And if they let that wildman/hunter/fisher in, I'm pretty sure the standards are "come as you are". Which is refreshing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

All this can be done with a park, with native species. Without the waste of water. Trees and shade lower the temperature.  Co-op housing and services done in spots. 

My Dad was an avid golfer and very good at it. I went a few times to the driving range with him. Never saw the long term appeal. It's not like there's a crisis in available golf courses. 

"Can be" and "will be" are two different things. 

Anyhow...I'm all in favour for keeping golf courses intact but am by no means an expert. I just think once people get their paws on property, what they say will happen and what actually happen likely transform over time into two very different things. 

Lke the waterfront in Steveston (old BC Packers site). Some changes are great, some others not so much. How they ended up getting a hotel vs affordable housing is beyond me.

picked up the game when I moved to Manitoba. was working too many hours to join a team or league of any kind, but golf I could do by myself on whatever day I did happen to have off. 

I really got into it after moving back to the coast. I got a job as a steak cook at a golf course. perks included free unlimited golf. I would play 9 hours at least 4 times a week. During the summer could even do 4-7 holes after work ended at 9pm. 

Since then I petered out as it was just too expensive. 

I love the game and would pick it up again in a heartbeat if it weren't for the costs. I have my own clubs etc. 

Golf--- a great walk spoiled by a little white ball. 

Golf--- otherwise known as Whack-****

favorite courses... Carnoustie ( Poco) , 18 Pastures ( near Stave Lake ), Coyote Creek ( Surrey ). 

handicap... never really official, I 'd guess about 18-21. also, I'm a lefty but can play either side. 

Edited by grumpyone
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

"Can be" and "will be" are two different things. 

Can be needs public money.

Will be is a way for rich people to make excuses to play a game on acreage. 

If they want to build every golf course on former landfills, or former mining sites as remediation knock yourself out. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can be needs public money.

Will be is a way for rich people to make excuses to play a game on acreage. 

If they want to build every golf course on former landfills, or former mining sites as remediation knock yourself out. 

It's not just for the rich though. Green acres: $31-$46

I mean, how much to go skiing?

A hockey game?

A concert?

I just hate seeing recreational stuff targeted for buildings. Golf courses that are already there, not talking building new ones.