Golf

-dlc-

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I used to be really into golf. When I was younger, I used to belong to a great club back east. I was decently ok and could hold my own. Last time I golfed was in 2007 in Mexico. Was fun and freeing.

What kicked me out of golf, though, was how it was also a social status, popularity obligation to be seen and fit in with a certain crowd. I get it from the networking aspect of things but I just found that a lot of guys I know were seemingly faking their love of golf just to fit into a certain crowd and social hierarchy. Then it became who had the best clubs, who had the best bag, who had the best outfit, who played this course, who played that course, all the one-up stuff. It was all just really inauthentic and I didn't love the game enough to pretend I loved doing all that.

Now, a casual game with friends on a weekend on an uncrowded hidden-gem of a course, I'm into that. I still like watching it. Also love the evolution of technology and its influence on the game.

I find that the group you golf with directly affects your love of the game. I can definitely see in some circles it being about one-upmanship.

I only golf with really close friends. The only competition is between ourselves but always nice to win a hole here and there. It's all about spending some quality time with people I care about while getting some exercise and playing some "Wack...F*ck!".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yeah, that aspect sucks.

The Delta golf course was/is? not subject to that. Where my Dad golfed and my brother still plays. And if they let that wildman/hunter/fisher in, I'm pretty sure the standards are "come as you are". Which is refreshing.

Yeah, I'm more into casual golfing, no fashion shows, and finding hidden gems of a course.

I can still do the pretentious, shallow thing if I really needed to on occasion but I just can't listen to or sustain the BS for very long. 18 holes would be my max on that. 😉

• Like 2

The President's Cup is underway, with Mike Weir captaining the International side. Basically, it's the world (excluding Europe) against the US)

The Americans swept the first day and currently lead the International side 5-1, going into Friday Foursomes. Weir has paired Canadians Corey Connors and MacKenzie Hughes, against Wyndham Clark and Tony Finau.

AFAIK, the International team have never beaten the Americans in this competition.

The event this year is being held at Royal Montreal Gold Club.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Not gonna lie...I'm really into this President's Cup. What a shot by Scheffler just now. (boo)

We're huge underdogs....

I watched a preview show and they said if you combine the world rankings the Americans are about 30 spots ahead of the Internationals....