[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 3 | Friday, September 27th | Vancouver @ Seattle | 7pt/10et | 🎧 SN650 | 💻 Canucks.com |Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle, WA.

Chickenspear

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

A couple of comments:

The forward lines for the Canucks were:

1. DeBrusk. Pettersson. Sherwood.

2. Heinen. Suter. Boeser.

3. Bains. Sasson. Karlsson.

4. Blais. Smith. Klimovich.

1. The 4th line consists of guys trying to make a good impression. It didn't work out. Smith had a bad giveaway that led to the 3rd Seattle goal and all three guys had a bad game.

Smith had just over 10 minutes of 5-on-5 time and his expected goals for was 0.05. It is hard to be that ineffective.

Klim had just over 9 minutes of 5-on-5 time and his expected goals for was 0.01. That is even worse.

Blais was given more opportunities, with 14 min. of 5-on-5 time and had 0.26 expected goals for. That is not good but not too bad. But his 1.07 expected goals against was the worst of anyone playing.

Seattle put a pretty good team on the ice, but it seems obvious that Klim, Smith, and Blais are overmatched. Time to end the experiment and send Klim and Smith to Abby and give up on the Blais PTO.

2. The line of Sasson, Karlsson, and Bains had a pretty good game in the underlying advanced stats and by the eye test. The ice tilted in the Canucks favor when they were on the ice. Bains seems to be a guy who plays solid D and generates quite a lot on offence, but the puck just won't go in the net when he is on the ice--at least not at the NHL level.

3. Petey has another lacklustre game, although he made a nice play on the Myers goal. He is obviously "mailing it in" during pre-season. Hope he is okay.

4. Suter did not look good at center. I am now officially on the "move Suter to wing with Miller  and Boeser and let Raty play center" bandwagon.

5. Forbort is good on the PK but not impressed with his 5-on-5 play.

6. Too early to say much about Lankinen. Not a great look on the second goal even though the puck was deflected. He had no chance on the 1st goal (deflection in close). Not sure if he could have played the third goal better.

Overall it was a disappointing game, but nothing to get too worried about. Seattle iced a significantly stronger team while the Canucks iced a fairly weak line-up.

Agreed on Suter!! I've seen enough too....he's far more effective on the wing and hopefully Management will figure what's best for our 3C... Either promote Raty or acquire a cheap version of Lindholm somehow.... Blueger offers more as 4C with less burden on his shoulder and that's if we consider ourselves a true contender this season!

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, JamesB said:

A couple of comments:

1. The 4th line consists of guys trying to make a good impression. It didn't work out. Smith had a bad giveaway that led to the 3rd Seattle goal and all three guys had a bad game.

Smith had just over 10 minutes of 5-on-5 time and his expected goals for was 0.05. It is hard to be that ineffective.

Klim had just over 9 minutes of 5-on-5 time and his expected goals for was 0.01. That is even worse.

Blais was given more opportunities, with 14 min. of 5-on-5 time and had 0.26 expected goals for. That is not good but not too bad. But his 1.07 expected goals against was the worst of anyone playing.

Seattle put a pretty good team on the ice, but it seems obvious that Klim, Smith, and Blais are overmatched. Time to end the experiment and send Klim and Smith to Abby and give up on the Blais PTO.

2. The line of Sasson, Karlsson, and Bains had a pretty good game in the underlying advanced stats and by the eye test. The ice tilted in the Canucks favor when they were on the ice. Bains seems to be a guy who plays solid D and generates quite a lot on offence, but the puck just won't go in the net when he is on the ice--at least not at the NHL level.

3. Petey has another lacklustre game, although he made a nice play on the Myers goal. He is obviously "mailing it in" during pre-season. Hope he is okay.

4. Suter did not look good at center. I am now officially on the "move Suter to wing with Miller  and Boeser and let Raty play center" bandwagon.

6. Too early to say much about Lankinen. Not a great look on the second goal even though the puck was deflected. He had no chance on the 1st goal (deflection in close). Not sure if he could have played the third goal better.

Overall it was a disappointing game, but nothing to get too worried about. Seattle iced a significantly stronger team while the Canucks iced a fairly weak line-up.

It's not suter, but Blueger, who is the roadblock for raty, imo 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JamesB said:

A couple of comments:

28 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Agreed on Suter!! I've seen enough too....he's far more effective on the wing and hopefully Management will figure what's best for our 3C... Either promote Raty or acquire a cheap version of Lindholm somehow.... Blueger offers more as 4C with less burden on his shoulder and that's if we consider ourselves a true contender this season!

On the other hand, Suter is just fine at 3C if Garland is on the line. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

A couple of comments:

One of few good things that came out of this game.... This summary post. 👍🏼

Some people here are acting like we just lost game 7 of SCF.

You all have the right to react/behave in which ever way you guys want but please just try to relax a little. Enjoy the game. See how our future players are progressing and let them show their skills and development. Young stars games are boys vs boys but now they are playing against men so this gives us better idea about their development and how much their game has progressed over the year. 

If team is performing like this like 15-20 games into the season then yeah I will also join you guys for panic mode but let's all just relax and enjoy pre-season games right now. 

For actual line up

1) Heinen-Miller-Boeser : They'll be fine. I don't know what more anyone can say about a line that has JT driving the bus. 

2) DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong: A lot of folks here are worried about Petey living up to that 11.6 M mark. He has better players to play along his side this time around. DeBrusk showed good chemistry with him and Sprong can sprung some things up too.

3) Hoglander-Suter-Garland : Garland will be the one driving this line imo. His tenacity will make Hoglander play like a hounding dog as well.

or Hoglander-Raty-Garland 

4)  PDG/Aman?-Blueger-Sherwood (till Joshua is out) I know people want our last years 3rd line together but I would love RT to try out line of Joshua-Blueger-Sherwood (I am already hearing bodies against the boards and bodychecks) 

Would keep  Blais around for those nasty games and slot in if needed? 

As for Defence 

1) Hughes-Hronek

2) Soucy-Myers

3) Forbort-Desharnais

- Juulsen 

- Depending on how season is going and needs of the team, they can add another puck moving D via trade but no need to give up assets right now. 

Silovs

Lankinen 

- when Demko is back and provided Lankinen is also playing good, it might be better to send Silovs down to AHL and log in more games and I don't think he would need to clear waivers (please correct me if I'm wrong) 

Cheers everyone & like always CGC 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I thought Blueger was awesome between Garland and Joshua last season. But if Suter is moved to the wing - if the organization wanted Räty to be on the team, then move Blueger to 4C, Räty to 3C, and Suter to the wing. If Räty can't handle those 3C duties, then move him to 4C, and promote Blueger to 3C. 

As much I would love Raty to join the big club, I feel if we are patient with his development he can be a solid solid player for us in the future. We can see his development from last year. Another season in Abby (of course with few call ups here and there) will be good for his game. And he can turn out to be 2C for us instead of 3C that we are hoping him to be right now. That will allow us to move Petty to the wing? 

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Raty-Lekkerimaki? This could very well be the line for 2025 season. 

33 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I thought Blueger was awesome between Garland and Joshua last season. But if Suter is moved to the wing - if the organization wanted Räty to be on the team, then move Blueger to 4C, Räty to 3C, and Suter to the wing. If Räty can't handle those 3C duties, then move him to 4C, and promote Blueger to 3C. 

image.gif.70e3773d9c1b12ec6879fd93987b6d7a.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Devron said:

It’s preseason 

In preseason when we’re playing teams donning their AHL players he should stand out even more. There is no denying something went wrong after the all star break, continued through the playoffs and seem to be perpetuating into this season. Granted it’s way to soon to pull the plug on him but the concern is well deserved.

4 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

WTF...the boxscore says that each team had 2 hits apiece in this game!?  Has there ever been another game with so few hits???

Imagine seeing that a couple decades ago would have ended up with a lot of coaches shouting after the game and GMs frustrated with their youth.    Pretty pathetic. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm betting theyd rather have raty at 1C in Abby than 4C in Van

• Like 1

went to bed after the 2nd period... game was extremely BORRRRRING.

Lions were no better either. 

sometimes it  really sucks being a westcoast fan. 

Edited by grumpyone
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Didn't have our control guys on the ice and it showed, Hughes, Miller, Hoggy, Garland all play such a big role in controlling the game. Ratu should be in for 3C him and Garland and Hogs look great together. 

The amount of flak sent my way for daring to suggest that garland and hogs would be great with Petey was ridiculous.  Id say they're proving to be a pretty good pair

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

The amount of flak sent my way for daring to suggest that garland and hogs would be great with Petey was ridiculous.  Id say they're proving to be a pretty good pair

It is nice to see Hogs and Garland working well together. You think both on a top six line is a good idea? If we did as you suggest then Debrusk could play with Miller and Boeser? 
Hogs, Petey, Garland

Debrusk, Miller, Boeser

Msybe these are our top six and they get shuffled?