[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 3 | Friday, September 27th | Vancouver @ Seattle | 7pt/10et | 🎧 SN650 | 💻 Canucks.com |Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle, WA.

Chickenspear

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

The amount of flak sent my way for daring to suggest that garland and hogs would be great with Petey was ridiculous.  Id say they're proving to be a pretty good pair

Don't you think that given the choice teams would be happy to let hogs or Garland try to score instead of Petey? 

You know me, I'm a goalie guy. I'm watching our crease like a hawk.

Lankinen did not past the first eye test to me. His technique and movements are simply not up to the Clark school of goaltending.

But, it could very well just be rust. I'll give him a bit of rope on that.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

A line of hogs Petey Garland would be pretty easy to defend against. Teams would just focus on Petey.

Id say that hogz and garland are more of a threat than DeBrusk is and are a lot better at controlling the puck and the play and Garland is every bit the play driver as Petey, probably more.  Hogz is a great puck retriever (as is garland) and all three can pass and score effectively. 

Honestly, right now, Petey needs a play driver more than he needs someone riding shotgun 

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Lankinen did not past the first eye test to me. His technique and movements are simply not up to the Clark school of goaltending.

I didn't watch the game, but the highlights weren't kind to lankinen

1 minute ago, nergish said:

Certainly rusty. Until Demko is back, and Silovs is sent down, Lanky will be our starter. Our club looked dead last night. No juice. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Id say that hogz and garland are more of a threat than DeBrusk is and are a lot better at controlling the puck and the play and Garland is every bit the play driver as Petey, probably more.  Hogz is a great puck retriever (as is garland) and all three can pass and score effectively. 

Honestly, right now, Petey needs a play driver more than he needs someone riding shotgun 

What about a third line with Hogs, Raty, and Garland? 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

They do have decent numbers but it's only 45 minutes over two years.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20242025&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2025-04-17&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8481535&p2=8480012&p3=8478856&p4=0&p5=0

dunno, they have used the idea in limited minutes but don't you think physically that line gets handled pretty easily?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Certainly rusty. Until Demko is back, and Silovs is sent down, Lanky will be our starter. Our club looked dead last night. No juice. 

Lankinen hasn’t proved anything to this organization whereas Silvos has. The tandem of tolopilo/patera in Abby is good to go , both being capable. It does nothing for developing these two by giving all the games to silvos, silvos in his last game a couple of days ago shows he’s ready. Last nite lankinen wasn’t. When demko is ready and good to go lankinen would be the first to go , but he comes so cheap they might keep him around since demko seems to be so injury prone right when he's  needed the most. Picking up lankinen wasn’t done because they don’t trust silvos, maybe to some extent but primarily  it was because demkos out. All that said lankinen was a good pick up. 

Edited by Chon derry
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

They do have decent numbers but it's only 45 minutes over two years.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20242025&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2025-04-17&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8481535&p2=8480012&p3=8478856&p4=0&p5=0

dunno, they have used the idea in limited minutes but don't you think physically that line gets handled pretty easily?

Why would they?  Hogz and Garland have consistently gone to all the hard areas and been very effective.  Physically, Petey is the weak point on that line

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would they?  Hogz and Garland have consistently gone to all the hard areas and been very effective.  Physically, Petey is the weak point on that line

thats my concern tho, can two of the smallest guys on the team be the answer for that? 

I could see DeB-EP-Garly tho. I just don't think we'll see both guys with Petey much.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He got involved along the boards. He's a wide body and not afraid of mixing it up. I heard them say he's never been known for speed but known for hard nosed play.

That's all we need really for our 4th line... Someone that's big and nasty to play against... Let's hope he shows more in rest of preseason.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats my concern tho, can two of the smallest guys on the team be the answer for that? 

I could see DeB-EP-Garly tho. I just don't think we'll see both guys with Petey much.

What about their play has demonstrated that either of them play small or can't thrive in physical hockey?  

Hogz didn't have a great playoff, but I think that was more inexperience than anything

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

What about their play has demonstrated that either of them play small or can't thrive in physical hockey?  

Hogz didn't have a great playoff, but I think that was more inexperience than anything

On the puck both Hogs and Garland are excellent. It’s their play away from the puck where concerns arise.  Off the puck Lekkerimaki is a far superior player to both. 
Lekkerimaki will be starting with Petey and Debrusk.

Tocchet prefers players who are good without the puck in his top six. 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

mostly that Tocc hasn't gone to that well much as a line. Maybe it works in limited spots but he's had the chance to try that and doesn't use it much.

Hog's usage is kind of interesting, I had to look it up (click on the line usage button): https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/nils-hoglander

that line you're talking about has been used but there's some reason the coaches don't go to it more. I suspect that the 3rd line with TB and DJ is so good that they clearly found other spots for Hogs who seems to be able to play well with a lot of different C's.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

he played most of the time with Mik, that probably didn't help.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The one thing I'll be interested in seeing is how our goaltending is gonna be, especially with the departure of Ian Clark. 

14 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

I’m not watching but sounds like we need to move on from Petey. Forward Petey 

Thankfully 11-6 is NOT protected by a NTC until next year, so there's still time to unload him this year if he fizzles out again late in the season and JR sees fit.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
Typo
  • ThereItIs 1