[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 4 | Saturday September 28th | Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames | @6PM | Sportsnet & 650

Lewlowned

10 hours ago, DavidGoliath said:

Surprised the tv guys never had a comment on this. It looked patently ridiculous. His stick is at his waist and called for “high sticking” when the other guy runs into it.

Look closely.   He turns the blade of his stick 90 deg just b4 the flames player skated by so he could hook.    I've done it myself many times.  Very, very common and would have been called "Hooking" but it caught him higher and became a High Sticking call.   100% legit and good call.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Look closely.   He turns the blade of his stick 90 deg just b4 the flames player skated by so he could hook.    I've done it myself many times.  Very, very common and would have been called "Hooking" but it caught him higher and became a High Sticking call.   100% legit and good call.

Too legit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO the shootout and 3 on 3 OT (no ties) was started to appease the ignorant US based fans in the newer markets. There’s nothing wrong with a regular season game ending in a tie. It’s a good result for a visiting team to earn a tie. It’s up to the home team to push the play if they don’t want the visiting team to take one of the two points. 
Expansion to these southern US markets where the people know nothing about hockey has not only watered down the talent to a point where ECHL level players are in the National League but it also added stupid rules in hopes to appease these new “fans”. The issue is are these really fans? 
How many teams should there really be in the NHL?

Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, (Calgary or Edmonton) Chicago, Detroit, Rangers, Minnesota, Boston.

AMEN !

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Darius said:

Ok now I get it, i was wondering why some of you were talking about botox...

Typical Calgarian Bleach Blond, with false eyelashes, artificial boob implants from Dupont, Lop-sided "Duck-Bill" lip job, spray tan and complete with Tramp Stamps and whore dress. If you brought that too close to a fireplace it would spontaneously combust and melt.  You see these things quite often in Alberta (especially Edmonton and occasionally Truck pull-outs and Hick-towns along Hwy 2) where they don't know how to dress or put on make-up, so they turn to Tik-Tok to get ridiculous makeup suggestions from the outside world and "The Housewives of Red Deer" TV show (only available in rural Ab.)   

Calgary is certainly not Montreal - that's for sure!   

I rest my case.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Has Betman pretty much created one of those pyramid schemes with all this expansion? At some point, because there is no actual base of support, it will all crash down? But the owners of the scheme make fortunes on the backs of others along the way? 

Naw, they can make up the defecit by raising the price of beer in the Canadian markets. $50 beers in Canada could subsidize another 3 US franchises. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Typical Calgarian Bleach Blond, with false eyelashes, artificial boob implants from Dupont, Lop-sided "Duck-Bill" lip job, spray tan and complete with Tramp Stamps and whore dress. If you brought that too close to a fireplace it would spontaneously combust and melt.  You see these things quite often in Alberta (especially Edmonton and occasionally Truck pull-outs and Hick-towns along Hwy 2) where they don't know how to dress or put on make-up, so they turn to Tik-Tok to get ridiculous makeup suggestions from the outside world.   

Calgary is certainly not Montreal - that's for sure!   

I rest my case.

You really shouldn’t be talking about Rick Tocchet like that…

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup

I believe we can make all the cuts now. 

13 forwards

Petey

Miller

Boeser

Debrusk

Garland

Hogz

Suter

Bleuger

Heinen

Sherwood

Sprong

Raty

13F Joshua - IR

7D

Hughes

Hronek

Soucy

Myers

Forbort

Desharnais 

7D- Juulsen

2G

Lankinen

Silovs 

Demko (IR) 

Poolman-IR

This basically puts us 90k below cap. We don't dip into LTIR and accrue very little over time. 

We could trade poolman so we accrue more space but one injury would derail this plan as one injury forces us to get LTIR relief. 

Joshua and Demko will start the year on IR. So Aman and PDG will be with the big club on opening night. So will Raty. When Demko comes back they will send Silovs to Abby. When Joshua comes back they will either send Raty to Abby or put PDG on waivers. 

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

It is kind of preseason etiquette that you bring the crappy team on the road for the early games. Last couple you bring majority of lineup. 

Raty seems to have taken the third C spot with Garland. Not sure if Hogz will rock the other wing or not. 
Sprong is so enticing to put in the top 6 if he can play Tocch’s game. Feels like him and Heinen will fill out the top 6 to start. 
Reallly nice to see Hogz coming in and really claim his spot in the top 9 if not top 6. 
Still very unsure of the D after the first pairing. So many penalties for being tall. 
When I see Tolipoli I always feel like watching Demko. About same size, same calm efficiency in everything. He may be the best of our G prospects.

It's hard to say what the opening night line up will look like since they haven't even played Miller yet.  If you add all the top names, it pushes many right out of the line up.

There's 2 more preseason games: Monday and Friday both against the Oilers and opening night is the following Wednesday, Oct 9 vs the Flames.

Do we see a more representative line up on Monday or still a bunch of "maybes".  Who are the maybes?  Aman, Lankinen, Silovs, Sprong, Blais, Sasson, Lekkerimaki, Raty, PDG, Bains, Friedman, Briesbois, Pettersson.  Some are clearly above the line, some, clearly below

I'm expecting most of the projected bottom 6 and bottom pair D and the "maybes" to compare them on Monday

And a representative line up on Friday

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Removing the redline - awesome for the sport, the shoot-out and the second ref, not so much. 

I sure miss the the Full-Speed Races to the endzone when guys were trying to get/avoid icing calls and we'd get those massive Boarding Crashes when they would collide full speed into each other and the boards and the high hooking where players would get hocked all the way down the ice in their gloves,  arms and torso so they had to be good stick handlers and when cross checking and boarding calls were far and few between....and no glass all the way around the rink so fans could "get-into the mix" and no nets behind the goalies so you could see the real power of those stray slap shots as the  pucks flew into the crowd and bench clearing brawls!  Those were the days when real hockey was around and it was survival of the fittest!  Now, like everything else, the game has been neutered & homogenized into a predictable mellow game for "tempered" Gen Z and Millennials.  I can only imaging what Gen Alpha types will do to the game in the future! 

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PDG will be with the big club on opening night. 

I certainly hope not!

Put him on waivers, maybe the Maple Laffs pick him up.

I don’t like him in our lineup up, doesn’t produce much of anything, there are other players that we have that replace his value…however low his value is…haha.

Edited by Bretzky

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

For whatever reason, Raty seems like he's been in the system forever..Still very young but it's about time we started giving our young guys some pro ice..Seems to be the tradition to baby them..

Raty has only had 2 seasons in the AHL; a combined (Islanders/Canucks) for 52 games (19ys) and

last season for 72 games (20yrs).  That's not a lot of AHL time for a 2nd rounder.  I have no doubt that

he will have limited time in Abby this season and will likely be a permanent placement on the Vancouver

team at the beginning of the next season.

Raty wasn't ready to make the NHL last season.  Staying in Abby for the extra year has made a world of difference

in his development.  The coaches for Abby seem to be very good at identifying the strengths and weaknesses of

a prospect and then putting together a program that will reinforce their overall game.  I see this as significant

developmental time, without rushing the youth; rather than 'baby sitting'.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Lewlowned said:

Alriksson signed his ELC this morning. 3 years but not sure on the dollars yet

This is where I say the quiet part out loud..again...The dude showed up. Give the youngins' some time to play in the biggs..A few less player's signed would have saved us some money to sign someone like.. dunno..Can't think of a strong physical D-man..

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua and Demko will start the year on IR. So Aman and PDG will be with the big club on opening night. So will Raty. When Demko comes back they will send Silovs to Abby. When Joshua comes back they will either send Raty to Abby or put PDG on waivers. 

So that would mean putting Friedman on waivers and sending him to Abby, instead of Aman or PDG.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I still believe that the team registered to start will look different than the one that plays the 1st game

Lek is the only one waiver exempt I believe, and because he has the most bonus recovery cushion will be registered to play (but not start)?

So to maximise cap (under but close to $20,000) I think we well see start line up "registered" as:

14 forwards- Miller, EP, Boeser, DEBrusk, Garland, Heinen, Bluegar, Suter, Sherwood, Sprong, Hog, Aman (or?), Joshua (on/off IR) and Lekk

8 defence -   Hughes,Hronek, Meyers,Soucy, Desh, Forbort,Juulson, Poolman on ir

2 Goalies -    Demko (who won't play) and Laniken

After that line up is registered, the  actual game day line up will look different, I think Lekk is swapped for Silvos (and gain a lil more cap space) they could still waive some players for more cap space?

I think Raty gets looks high in the line up next few games (and see if he can establish chemistry with top players), if he doesn't make it impossible for mgmt. to keep him up here,  then getting top minutes in Abby may be a better option to groom him even more and use as a call up if needed?

The cap, youth, waivers and uncertainty of full NHL schedule play and the playing time In NHL for determining of where a player is better suited will pay a factor, some may have to go to Abby for a bit longer?

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Raty has only had 2 seasons in the AHL; a combined (Islanders/Canucks) for 52 games (19ys) and

last season for 72 games (20yrs).  That's not a lot of AHL time for a 2nd rounder.  I have no doubt that

he will have limited time in Abby this season and will likely be a permanent placement on the Vancouver

team at the beginning of the next season.

Raty wasn't ready to make the NHL last season.  Staying in Abby for the extra year has made a world of difference

in his development.  The coaches for Abby seem to be very good at identifying the strengths and weaknesses of

a prospect and then putting together a program that will reinforce their overall game.  I see this as significant

developmental time, without rushing the youth; rather than 'baby sitting'.

Personally, I think he's forced their hand........ he'll likely start in Abby because there's not really a spot at C for him, but I'm betting they make a move to fit him in at 3C before Xmas.

Could be they just risk Aman on waivers, but that's pretty short sighted, imo