your thoughts ?

DexM94

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Principals used to get data that showed each teachers   exam marks -  basically the average mark on a standardize exam that each student achieved.

Now these exams are gone.

School admin now  really has no idea what is happening in classrooms....   

Parents just see a high percent mark on a report card , so all is good right ?  I have a number of teachers in my family.....  

Well, if it does prove to be a "complete mess-up" we'll find out eventually. One more thing I should mention about myself perhaps.... I don't believe in 1 right answer; yet, most, if not all, exams teach us that there has to be one right answer. So that part of me is also speaking as I do deem that to be a fallacy in the school system.

Whether it was the right call in the end to remove it entirely though rather than providing education to actually teach there being more than 1 right answer for things.... we'll see right?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Nowdays all kids graduate grade 12 . No student is left behind.   Things have changed....    LOL. 

I find that policy is very short sighted. Some kids need a wake up call to get both them and their parents back on track. It does not work for a few of them but does for those that heed their failings and try to work harder.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Sure, but that stuff's for the marks over what you've actually learned. University, whether we want to admit it or not, is often like a clean slate for a student. It doesn't matter what was learned prior. It's more about what they're doing at that point in time.

39 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Those kids don't do the bare minimum and get passed by lazy teachers. Those kids have invested family support and use high school to learn how to learn as a college prep on their way to Uni.

Oh I think I misunderstood. My bad. I guess that's what happens when you jump in mid conversation. Sorry guys. The point I was trying to make was if you want to be a doctor or a dentist. They actually look at high school credentials yet everything else they don't and I think that's exactly what lock is saying and moose head for that matter. Sorry fellas.

• Cheers 1

I think after grade 10.

Program A - students want to go to Uni 

Program B - students want to go trades or Tech 

Program C -  students that want to work at the mall.....

Allow some kind of a backdoor route for students that change their mind and want to switch streams.

Put all kinds of money into Program B so the kids get to learn real industry tools and equipment.......   Fund Program B heavily....      

5 hours ago, moosehead said:

I think after grade 10.

Program A - students want to go to Uni 

Program B - students want to go trades or Tech 

Program C -  students that want to work at the mall.....

Allow some kind of a backdoor route for students that change their mind and want to switch streams.

Put all kinds of money into Program B so the kids get to learn real industry tools and equipment.......   Fund Program B heavily....      

That seems at odds with late bloomer syndrome where 29 year Olds still don't know what they want to do with their lives.

8 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

That seems at odds with late bloomer syndrome where 29 year Olds still don't know what they want to do with their lives.

I don't know if it's a trend or if it's just me running into specific people, but I have met more and more people in the last two years that are changing career paths in their mid 30s to mid 40s, then I would have ever thought I would have met 

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't know if it's a trend or if it's just me running into specific people, but I have met more and more people in the last two years that are changing career paths in their mid 30s to mid 40s, then I would have ever thought I would have met 

I literally had a guy working for a paycheck, 29 years old, with a charity I adore, Habitat for Humanity, tell me that he managed to save up 5k and so he was giving his two weeks notice so he can go to Europe and backpack around SPain, France, Italy, and the like. I asked him what his plans were for after the money ran out (being a charity, kind of looking to see if he might want to come back after the vacay), and he said, "I haven't really thought that part through yet, I just wanna give my parents some space for a few months, but when i get home  I will probably just toss some resumes around."

TO recap, 29, smart, strong, seemingly educated, or at least upper levels of highschool success. Lives with parents, blowing only 5k on a vacation before returning to any minimum wage job what will hire him. Sigh.

edit: lol reading back i see i am getting old, lmao...'kids these days'.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I literally had a guy working for a paycheck, 29 years old, with a charity I adore, Habitat for Humanity, tell me that he managed to save up 5k and so he was giving his two weeks notice so he can go to Europe and backpack around SPain, France, Italy, and the like. I asked him what his plans were for after the money ran out (being a charity, kind of looking to see if he might want to come back after the vacay), and he said, "I haven't really thought that part through yet, I just wanna give my parents some space for a few months, but when i get home  I will probably just toss some resumes around."

TO recap, 29, smart, strong, seemingly educated, or at least upper levels of highschool success. Lives with parents, blowing only 5k on a vacation before returning to any minimum wage job what will hire him. Sigh.

edit: lol reading back i see i am getting old, lmao...'kids these days'.

No kids and no mortgage. Probably out of the housing market treadmill as current high prices exclude people like him.

So young people are just giving up on chasing the home ownership dream.     

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

No kids and no mortgage. Probably out of the housing market treadmill as current high prices exclude people like him.

So young people are just giving up on chasing the home ownership dream.     

IMO this dude had completely given up, was working for 15 dollars an hour, no sense of drive or determination, just "this is me now".