your thoughts ?

DexM94

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What does it mean?

Teachers now can give out a letter grade to a student.   No standard exam is written.

Result is mark inflation.  Everyone passes.      Government gets to brag about a 100% pass rate.  Sound wonderful, right ?

Edited by moosehead

Just now, moosehead said:

Teachers now can give out a letter grade to a student.   No standard exam is written.

Result is mark inflation.  Everyone passes.      Government gets to brag about a 100% pass rate.  Sound wonderful, right ?

But what if a teacher hates a student? Wouldn't that student fail?

6 minutes ago, moosehead said:

BC government has removed all grade 12 provincial exams.

No standardized exams done now required to graduate.

Guess what that means....

-worst case Ontario

-Capital of BC Victoriaville

-Sorry about your house collapsing, I actually failed math.

- Oh you needed a plumber? I actually just got gifted this position..

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

But what if a teacher hates a student? Wouldn't that student fail?

No.  Fail a student and then you have to deal with principal......    they don't want returning students.     Also you have to contact parents multiple times...

If a student fails.... teachers can just bump his mark to 50.0  percent.    See you later.   No one to contact. 

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

No.  Fail a student and then you have to deal with principal......    they don't want returning students.     Also you have to contact parents multiple times...

If a student fails.... teachers can just bump his mark to 50.0  percent.    See you later.   No one to contact. 

What I'm saying is you're assuming a teacher will just because they can. Obviously, I can't speak for all teachers, but I know teachers who will 100% NOT do what you just said. lol

Edited by The Lock

@moosehead To be honest, high school means $#!@ now adays. If you don't have a higher education you still struggle.

Hate you break it to you how meaningless high school is... but it kind of is... lol

Oh i agree.     Students learn next to no life skills in highschool.    Sadly. 

Reallly would be better for kids to go into trade programs at around grade 10.       Highschool shops also are so poorly funded they don't have. much in them. 

What I'm saying is you're assuming a teacher will just because they can. Obviously, I can't speak for all teachers, but I know teachers who will 100% NOT do what you just said. lol

When teachers were basically locked out and on strike for 2 months... lost all wages 2 contract ago.

Things in our schools changed.  Now teacher are way less invested in the career.  Our education system will not quickly recover 

Edited by moosehead

Oh i agree.     Students learn next to no life skills in highschool.    Sadly. 

Reallly would be better for kids to go into trade programs at around grade 10.       Highschool shops also are so poorly funded they don't have. much in them. 

See, I'm in tech. So, while I get the sentiment towards trades, this is absolutely biased towards trades. Not every student wants a trade in the end.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

See, I'm in tech. So, while I get the sentiment towards trades, this is absolutely biased towards trades. Not every student wants a trade in the end.

No but the country has a massive shortage of trades people

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Of course. Tech are also super important.   Would it not be nice to see kids coding in our schools... or doing electronics...... 

Doesn't happen though 

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Tell that to somebody aspiring to be a doctor or a dentist

Sure, but that stuff's for the marks over what you've actually learned. University, whether we want to admit it or not, is often like a clean slate for a student. It doesn't matter what was learned prior. It's more about what they're doing at that point in time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

Of course. Tech are also super important.   Would it not be nice to see kids coding in our schools... or doing electronics...... 

Doesn't happen though 

Well I obviously don't disagree with that (thus the high school being meaningless remark). I'm just more questioning the exam stuff in the end. I think there's both good and bad in the end with it if I'm being perfectly honest.

Just now, The Lock said:

Sure, but that stuff's for the marks over what you've actually learned. University, whether we want to admit it or not, is often like a clean slate for a student. It doesn't matter what was learned prior. It's more about what they're doing at that point in time.

Agreed. In Canada any student can go to University Just pay your 10 K. and when you can't handle it, you get the boot . Lose your money.

Next year , you can try again. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Tell that to somebody aspiring to be a doctor or a dentist

Those kids don't do the bare minimum and get passed by lazy teachers. Those kids have invested family support and use high school to learn how to learn as a college prep on their way to Uni.

Agreed. In Canada any student can go to University Just pay your 10 K. and when you can't handle it, you get the boot . Lose your money.

Next year , you can try again. 

I'll agree with that, so long as, "you can try again", means that degrees are rewarded to the persistent who are willing to learn more in the end along with the gifted who don't need to retake courses.

And, if you're wondering if I'm speaking from a personal perspective... absofrigginlutley!

Just now, The Lock said:

Well I obviously don't disagree with that (thus the high school being meaningless remark). I'm just more questioning the exam stuff in the end. I think there's both good and bad in the end with it if I'm being perfectly honest.

Taking away the exam has removed the accountablity of the teachers to work hard and do a good job. 

By. not demanding more from students ,  these youth will just struggle more transitioning to university. 

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Those kids don't do the bare minimum and get passed by lazy teachers. Those kids have invested family support and use high school to learn how to learn as a college prep on their way to Uni.

Highschool academic courses  now are way less demanding then they were 10 years ago......   

3 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Taking away the exam has removed the accountablity of the teachers to work hard and do a good job. 

By. not demanding more from students ,  these youth will just struggle more transitioning to university. 

See... there's where you kind of lose me a bit if I'm being honest.

I think the teacher who cares will be accountable with or without a test and I also think the teacher who doesn't care won't be phased by the need to have their students do well in a test.

I've seen so much in university, and I'm sure a lot of that translates to high school. You're welcome to your opinion with that obviously, but just based on experience I have mine. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

See... there's where you kind of lose me a bit if I'm being honest.

I think the teacher who cares will be accountable with or without a test and I also think the teacher who doesn't care won't be phased by the need to have their students do well in a test.

I've seen so much in university, and I'm sure a lot of that translates to high school. You're welcome to your opinion with that obviously, but just based on experience I have mine. lol

Principals used to get data that showed each teachers   exam marks -  basically the average mark on a standardize exam that each student achieved.

Now these exams are gone.

School admin now  really has no idea what is happening in classrooms....   

Parents just see a high percent mark on a report card , so all is good right ?  I have a number of teachers in my family.....  

Edited by moosehead

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

thats the thing, we need more employees otherwise we're all really screwed. 

This is it exactly. It’s not a program to choose one applicant over another but rather an effort to help businesses get more people into RedSeal apprenticeship trades. 

Canada needs skilled tradespeople. According to the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum (CAF-FCA), over the five-year period from 2022 to 2026, an estimated 122,380 new journeypersons will be required to sustain workforce certification levels across the 50-plus Red Seal trades – the nationally recognized standard for skilled trades in Canada. The recruitment of 256,000 apprentices will be required to keep pace with certification demand. Nationally, trades in high demand are cook, industrial electrician, painter and decorator and welder. Workforce retirements are driving this demand.  

Despite the fact that thousands of skilled journeypersons are leaving the workforce every year, apprenticeship registrations and completions have declined at a moment when industry should be investing more, not less, in apprenticeship. In 2020, new registrations in Red Seal trade programs fell by 27% to approximately 44,100, the fewest annual registrations since 2000. The number of program completions saw an even steeper decline, falling by 31% to approximately 20,700 completions — the lowest levels in a decade. These declines are occurring at a time when demand requirements are expected to continue to rise over the next 5 years.  

COVID-19 has exacerbated the decline in apprenticeship registrations and completions and has had a negative impact on apprentice employment and training. In the spring of 2021, CAF-FCA conducted a survey of 619 apprentices and journeypersons. Although journeyperson employment has rebounded to pre-pandemic levels, apprentice employment has not. Only 29% of apprentices identified that they were employed, compared to 43% prior to the pandemic.  Level 1 apprentices reported the highest unemployment levels. During COVID-19, more than half of apprentices reported losing income (65%) and falling behind in their technical training (56%).  Many were unable to earn hours towards their apprenticeship (45%) and could not write their certification examinations (28%).  

How should we address these challenges?  CAF-FCA is encouraging employers to hire more women in the trades through its Champions4Change program. In 2020, women apprentices made up 5% of the registrations across the construction, manufacturing and transportation sectors. The goal is to increase this figure to 15% by 2030. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1