[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 5 | Monday September 30th | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | @6PM | Sportsnet & 650

Lewlowned

• -dlc- featured and pinned this topic
7 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Blais has been released from his PTO. Abby signed him in August so he will play there.

That’s too bad. I thought he did a good job and plays with grit. Just a sign of how deep the big club is this year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That’s too bad. I thought he did a good job and plays with grit. Just a sign of how deep the big club is this year. 

At least he’s a good hand for the farm that can lend some vet experience to the group. At very least, he’s also a 4th line call up option should we require that kind of personnel during the season. To call up a guy like Bains in the absence of another player, you have to play him in the top 6 to be effective. A guy like Blais is an idea 4th line call up or reserve because that’s his meat and potatoes. We still likely will have better options than him in that event so, like you say, it’s awesome to see this club have the depth it does going forward. The thing I really like is we also seem to have a group of players on our 3/4 that might get a look and some mins in the top 6 that might be way more effective than in years past

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

He can't be called up unless he's signed to an NHL contract

Which might still be a possibility depending on injuries and contract space. Good point though. 

“He’s squarely a net negative possession player at even strength throughout his career, too, and with career averages of nine goals and 24 points per 82 games, there’s little to suggest he’s capable of anything more than fourth-line duties for a sustained period in the NHL. For the first time since 2017, he’ll need to start in the minors and work his way up. The Canucks (or any team) could still sign Blais to a two-way deal after the season gets underway if he has a strong start in Abbotsford.”

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Updated the lines in the OP but we are icing an EXTREMELY YOUTHFUL GROUP

Edmonton not so much

Well looks like they’re setting up for a beat down. 

Definitely not going out of my way to watch this.

Also still no Miller? They hiding an injury? Seems strange he only gets one game.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

Podz going from 3rd line in Abby to playing with Mcdavid on the oilers top line, Not sure who that says about who, but time will tell I guess. 

Could be a bit of a walloping tonight - those fringe players are gonna have to fight reallllly hard if they wanna claim a spot.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Updated the lines in the OP but we are icing an EXTREMELY YOUTHFUL GROUP

Edmonton not so much

I'll take "Field an ECHL lineup for $600 Alex"

Would be hilarious if the final was 4-1 Canucks with a McJesus meltdown mid 3rd period on the bench.

• Like 2

I kind of wish our regular line up will get a chance to play more than one game together before opening night. But as of now, it appears that Friday will be the only pre-season game where we will see a full regular group.

Especially the powerplay, we have yet to see our regular top unit powerplay together yet on any of these pre-season games.

• Like 1