[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 5 | Monday September 30th | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | @6PM | Sportsnet & 650

Lewlowned

23 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Yet it makes sense to keep Raty up if he gives us a face off edge and is solid all around.  With the extra step he gained this summer he has overcome his only weakness.  

We already have 4 centres ahead of Raty. Aman is a 13th forward. Only way Raty gets into the lineup is because of injury. If Joshua isn’t ready to go then they could play Suter on the wing and Raty is the 4C. 

When Joshua gets back Raty will be sent to Abby. 

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We already have 4 centres ahead of Raty. Aman is a 13th forward. Only way Raty gets into the lineup is because of injury. If Joshua isn’t ready to go then they could play Suter on the wing and Raty is the 4C. 

When Joshua gets back Raty will be sent to Abby. 

Honestly I'd rather suter on the wing and raty at center for his size and face off clip.  Having two centers on a line is great.

Edited by ronning4center
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not if it means losing Aman to waivers.

Also if their plan is to have Blueger and Suter at center how does Raty get minutes?

Raty could very well end up on the roster, I don’t think he’ll be on it opening night though unless Bleuger is still injured.

Is Bleuger ready for opening night? 

56 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Forward

Brock Boeser

Conor Garland

J.T. Miller

Arshdeep Bains

Danton Heinen

Nils Hoglander

Pius Suter

Elias Pettersson

Kiefer Sherwood

Teddy Blueger (Injured)

Aatu Raty

Jake Debrusk

Dakota Joshua (Injured)

Nils Aman

Daniel Sprong

Defense

Carson Soucy

Derek Forbort

Quinn Hughes

Noah Juulsen

Mark Friedman

Tyler Myers

Vincent Desharnais

Goalies

Arturs Silovs

Kevin Lankinen

Thatcher Demko (Injured)

Posted this in the training camp thread as well.  Looks to me like the roster is set.

Edited to correct.  Thanks @kettlevalley

I think you forgot Hronek 

• Thanks 1

one thing i found funny about last night is how Tocchett/coaching staff (I think) just wanted to move things along.  Forget goalie interference.  Just roll out the lines in OT.  Meanwhile EDM trying to win the game w their diving and weasel tactics (eg Perry/Draisatl being rats etc). 

• ThereItIs 3

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

They reek of desperation to me.

I mean, let's face it...they have the world's best player and another guy who's just cashed in big time and is as smug as they come. The expectations are high but...they're so unstable at times. Sure, they went to the SCF but they were honestly lucky to get past us. Could've gone either way. And their start last year must be in the back of their minds. They could flop at any time because they're a two trick pony.

Their diving is pathetic and very unbecoming of a team that wants to be labelled "the best". You don't need to do that crap if/when you're the best.

They're just wannabes like the rest of the teams until they get it done. Up to now, they haven't done squat. (The current team....not the Gretzky era).

Granted it was a pre-season game last night but I was not impressed by the Oiler performance. A far less experienced Canuck roster with no top 4 d-men played them well. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

what is the status of Bleuger?

The way we approach our salary cap and LTIR to start the year really depends on Bleuger's health

we have 90k in capspace and all reports were that we were going to try avoiding using LTIR to accrue cap space but this becomes impossible if both DJ and Bleuger are injured.

It not only forces Aman into the lineup but we would also need a 12F which we currently dont have cap space for. Raty and Bains both make 800-850k per year so either way we need to come up with 750k of cap space (If Bleuger isn't ready to play)

We can do things like run with 6D but none of our D are waiver eligible and will likely get claimed.

The option is to either  trade Poolman and free up 2.5m OR use LTIR if Bleuger remains injured

If Bleuger comes back before season starts, we can then decide to trade Poolman or keep him while Aman plays 12F and then Bains or Raty can yoyo between AHL and NHL depending on injury situations.

Pretty neat that we know what our roster looks like going forward to start the season

Only real battle is between Aman, Raty and Bains for that final spot

On 9/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, RWJC said:

Or simply preventing the possibility of it 

Not really: https://canucksarmy.com/news/how-canucks-forward-corps-aatu-raty-team

thats why he hasn't been playing, not to keep him from being injured. He’s not the most vulnerable player they would need to keep safe. 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

The way we approach our salary cap and LTIR to start the year really depends on Bleuger's health

we have 90k in capspace and all reports were that we were going to try avoiding using LTIR to accrue cap space but this becomes impossible if both DJ and Bleuger are injured.

It not only forces Aman into the lineup but we would also need a 12F which we currently dont have cap space for. Raty and Bains both make 800-850k per year so either way we need to come up with 750k of cap space (If Bleuger isn't ready to play)

We can do things like run with 6D but none of our D are waiver eligible and will likely get claimed.

The option is to either  trade Poolman and free up 2.5m OR use LTIR if Bleuger remains injured

If Bleuger comes back before season starts, we can then decide to trade Poolman or keep him while Aman plays 12F and then Bains or Raty can yoyo between AHL and NHL depending on injury situations.

Pretty neat that we know what our roster looks like going forward to start the season

I think that they will let two injured guys on season opening roster without putting on LTIR for cap reasons.  They can start with 21 then use the callup to fill up 23 spots after their first game.   Regarding to Poolman, it is his final year of the contract so we'll have so much room with ton of flexibility after this season.  If our D is claimed, let them but more likely that they will not claim ours.  This is perfect time to go unnoticed because other teams are also letting their depth guys go through waivers.   It is also a risk of claiming if they does and he don't play well on other team, we create a roster spot for us to be able to sign someone down the road and they also lose the leverage of an open spot.  Majority of our players are designed to play under RT's system and is more likelihood of not success on other team.   Claiming a waiver often doesn't work out for a team.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

They reek of desperation to me.

I mean, let's face it...they have the world's best player and another guy who's just cashed in big time and is as smug as they come. The expectations are high but...they're so unstable at times. Sure, they went to the SCF but they were honestly lucky to get past us. Could've gone either way. And their start last year must be in the back of their minds. They could flop at any time because they're a two trick pony.

Their diving is pathetic and very unbecoming of a team that wants to be labelled "the best". You don't need to do that crap if/when you're the best.

They're just wannabes like the rest of the teams until they get it done. Up to now, they haven't done squat. (The current team....not the Gretzky era).

just getting caught up from summer break......we traded Miller?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Is this problem solved if PDG gets claimed? I know every team has their own version of PDG, but you never know.

Just now, AmyTheGma said:

Does Hirose being on the roster still count against the cap?  I thought there was a rule that you can’t get sent down to the AHL if you were injured in camp?  Like with what happened to Brisbois last year?  Would that count against our 23 man roster?

These grammas have questions that need answering, people!

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

Does Hirose being on the roster still count against the cap?  I thought there was a rule that you can’t get sent down to the AHL if you were injured in camp?  Like with what happened to Brisbois last year?  Would that count against our 23 man roster?

Latest is he's made a bit of progress after his concussion, but as I understand it,  if he's still injured when the season starts, he'll be on SOIR, which doesn't count against our 23 man roster, and the cap hit is generally washed on 2-way contracts. It was pretty much created to give teams an out on a player that's not expected to make the roster, but can't be sent down due to injury rules.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Oilers fans all praising Perry for sticking up for McDavid.

He literally ran into Suter and then cried about it. 🤣

Hes so damn soft.

I don’t know why tf they keep Perry around. The guys a loser. Oh right it’s the Oilers they love losers 

• ThereItIs 1