[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 5 | Monday September 30th | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | @6PM | Sportsnet & 650

Lewlowned

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

I'm going to this game.

This is by far our worst line we have thrown out all season. Why do we keep wasting games on these young kids with zero shot to make the team?

incredibly valuable development time 'in the bigs' pays dividends next year and beyond. 

My guess is half tonights squad is assigned in the morning, maybe more. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

incredibly valuable development time 'in the bigs' pays dividends next year and beyond. 

My guess is half tonights squad is assigned in the morning, maybe more. 

It can be an important thing to learn but you still have to put them in a position to succeed. They're being fed linemates of AHL guys vs top NHL talent. The chances of them gaining anything to learn offensively by being hemmed into their own end the whole game isn't much of a learning experience for most players. 

You need reps. This is nothing more than a glorified bag skate for these kids tonight lol.

2 hours ago, Chon derry said:

It’s good to watch the rookies and have the staff evaluate them , I think it’s important to also ice the guys that are going to survive the cuts for at least 1 or 2 games for formiliarity purposes. 

If the source is correct and they ice MCD and Drais against us and we ice that line-up, would be interesting to see how we do defensively, if we could hold them off and won,THAT would be something wouldn't it? 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You had to go there.   Not cool.  Maybe go to the political forum.

PS....it is a stat in BC.

It’s only a stat for government workers.

Never mind, see a few provinces have it as a stat.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

21 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm going to this game.

This is by far our worst line we have thrown out all season. Why do we keep wasting games on these young kids with zero shot to make the team?

After watching Doughty and Laine going down this pre-season, I am fine with our core guys playing very little.

That being said, I still think it's important to get the band together for 1-2 games before official puck drop to develop chemistry.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Raty is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.  Excited to see how he does against McDrai.  Great test for him.  I don't expect Leks makes the team but this will also be good for him to see what it's like to play against 2 of the best players on the world.

All I want to see is the boys be competitive.

43 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Vets don't go on the road.

Good call by @Rusty Shackleford. I see it the same way: Raty is in and Lekker probably starts the season in Abby. But tonight is a great test for both of them.

It is true that in pre-season vets often stay home instead of going on the road. But tonight's roster is taking it a bit far. I think the Canucks are icing the weakest line-up so far, with no top-4 Ds and no top-6 forwards.

I think the most interesting thing will be to see how Lankinen does. I think a lot of fans and media are too positive about Silovs. His career save percentage in the NHL (19 games, playoffs and regular season) is 89.8%, which is obviously not good enough.  In the AHL over the past two seasons his save percentage has been about 90.8% -- about average for the AHL. Silovs has had hot streaks and makes a lot of saves on high danger chances, but he has trouble fighting through screens to track the puck and optimize positioning so he gives up too many goals on medium danger chances, as he did in the last game.

Patera has not shown himself to be an NHL goalie. Tolopilo is a long shot to be the answer.

Lankinen has a chance to make a statement tonight and move to the top of the list. Some combination of those guys needs to hold the fort until Demmer is healthy.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'm going to this game.

That's what pre-season is for. It lets them know what they have to work on in the future. Playing regulars with a bunch of scrubs against scrubs isn't going to help them game prepare at all. These guys are working on systems in practice.

No one should be wasting a penny on this.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I'm going to this game.

For one thing

Management wants to see certain players

Another, see laine knee injury

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2