[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 5 | Monday September 30th | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | @6PM | Sportsnet & 650

Lewlowned

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

Still not loving what I’m seeing from Lankinen.

I don’t think he’s much better than Casey, which is fine.

Really?? Did you see the saves he was making in overtime? Also played really well rest of the game too. I’m not sure what more you want from him. 

• Like 4

Who were our regulars (guys that have for sure made the team) that were playing tonight? 

Sherwood, Sprong, Hogz, Suter? 

Anyone else? 

Who were our regs on defense? 

Desharnais? Juulsen? 

And a bunch of Ahlers and bubble guys trying to become the 13F and  7D lol

Way to eek out a win oilers. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

The OT has been a comedy.  I laughed at that mess of the OT play and I could tell that our depth is not ready even for wide open ice, 3 on 3 and the Oilers didn't finish them off.   I didn't see Lekk out there for a shift. just the shootout.    Out depth is definitely a lot better and improved this year when playing against the vet line-up.  You need depth to go far in the league and the Canucks finally has a better depth.

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Who were our regulars (guys that have for sure made the team) that were playing tonight? 

Sherwood, Sprong, Hogz, Suter? 

Anyone else? 

Who were our regs on defense? 

Desharnais? Juulsen? 

And a bunch of Ahlers and bubble guys trying to become the 13F and  7D lol

Way to eek out a win oilers. 

Raty was quiet tonight

I know its kinda a bummer to lose in the SO and have to listen to the classless oiler home crowd celebrating like they won the cup when in reality they inched past an AHL roster with their superstars out there. But all in all i'd count that as a really good game considering the difference in lineups iced. We lost a similar one to CGY what 8:1 last year or something. Shows how far the fringe and developing players have come and how the whole organization can play a really disciplined game and execute the coaches systems. 

I'd say on tonight's showing that Sherwood looks like a good add - we could be up there with the most hated team again this year with him and Garls getting under people's skins. Descharnais looked better than I thought too. Hogz still strong AF. 

I thought all the young lads looked good and disciplined with no one taking big chances to generate offense.  D Petey and KK were both solid considering their experience level and we could well see them take another step with some seasoning in Abby this year.  

Raty I think will make the starting team - he just has a bit more to his game than Aman for me, even tho he's a touch slower. His face offs are a huge weapon. Lekk looks classy but still needs a bit more polish to his game and I can't see who he would displace in the top 6 right now so likely will have a big part to play in Abby this year.  Tho might still be interesting to see him on Friday on JT or EP's line for a final look. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Raty was quiet tonight

He can afford to be IMO.

His faceoff abilities have already shot him ahead of Aman IMO.

He made one really strong play later in the game. The puck was between his feet but he held his ground and protected the puck until they regained control. A small play but coaches love that.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Good outting for the depth players here.

Lankinen held the fort for a while. My standouts was Kudryavtsev, Sherwood, and Hoglander.

Standouts: Sherwood, Sprong, Friedman, Hoglander, Lankinen

Great game: PDG, Bains, Wolanin, Desharnais. 

D-Petey, Kudryavtsev and Lekkerimaki need Ahl seasoning. 

Still thinking Räty deserves to be on this team. 

If Räty makes the team, what does that look like? Someone would have to get dealt.

Edited by Toccfather

Just now, Nucker67 said:

Aren't the Oilers the worst? They almost got beat by the Abbotsford Canucks and I know they were trying. I'm very encouraged by this Canucks team and their future. The Oilers can suck it. Bunch of dirty divers on that team. 

They lack character and it will always dog them.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

To bad Lekkerimaki hit the post in the shootout, he beat the goalie.

Is it because Vancouver’s weaker lineup played a good Tocchet systems game that it was a close one tonight?!

I didn’t see any real weakness in anyone, everyone played pritty solid system wise.

I enjoyed the Räty line best and noticed they were on the ice for the last minute of regulation. 
Desharnais was ok, but sloppy sometimes.

D Petey didn’t look out of place and I like his size.

Our goaltender was decent but better have a new mask soon!

All in all I was surprised.

I didn’t think beforehand I was gonna be able to stomach watching it all, haha.

Hopefully we see a really close to what opening  night’s lineup is next one.

Edited by Bretzky
  • Cheers 1

My crack at the opening night roster

DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong

Hogs - Miller - Boeser

Suter - Raty - Garland

Heinen - Aman - Sherwood

Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Wolanin - Desharnais 

Friedman - Juulsen