[GDT/PGT] Preseason Game 5 | Monday September 30th | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | @6PM | Sportsnet & 650

Lewlowned

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

This game showed us a lot.  We do have a depth feeling like that we do not need to break the bank for next off-season plans plenty of AHL players looking good and is ready to crack the line-up.  If this was any other year with lack of depth and they played like this tonight with full of Oilers line-up, they'd making the team this year but we have too much depth which is a good thing.   We'd still have a good team in AHL making noise.  It is a good problem to have.

Probably a good sign too, considering OEL's buyout is going to rise to 4M? We need some of the guys who are close this year, to break onto the team next season. 

• Like 2

Great showing by the Abby Canucks... Almost pulled it off... expected a spanking, but never happened.

The extra games played by the younger ones probably gave them a bit of an edge... nevertheless they did themselves proud.

Ty Mueller looked good...

Thought MDG played a good game. Think he'll be on the roster, and think we'll see Åman on the roster too... at least to start the year...

Suter, Hogs, Sprong and Sherwood, too.

Think Raty and Leks will be Abby bound... although have high hopes for both. Raty being a C could save him from the chop, if the feel Karlsson or Åman not better at present.

The one remaining is Karlsson... not sure if he'll be there or not...

Defense bottom pairing is a little more open to debate...

Plenty of good to take from this showing.

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Sprong - Petey - Debrusk

Hogs - Åman - Garland

Heinen - Karlsson - Sherwood

MDG

Until Bluger and Joshua are ready...

If they play Suter as a C Karlsson becomes 13th man...

Very good depth for this team...

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt we trade Aman.  He is a great 13th forward who can play centre or wing, good on faceoffs and can kill penalties.  Raty can still use a bit of time in Abby so he can play centre full time.  Last year he was playing mostly wing.  He would be first call up for injuries and will take Suter’s place in the lineup next year.

That’s how I see it…

Raty probably goes to Abby for top minutes. If he made the Canuck roster I would worry about his TOI and thusly his development. Goes to Abby and plays on their top line. Can be recalled if injury demands. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Raty probably goes to Abby for top minutes. If he made the Canuck roster I would worry about his TOI and thusly his development. Goes to Abby and plays on their top line. Can be recalled if injury demands. 

I don’t know.  You tell someone to come in shape, they come in shape.  Tell them to work on their skating and it is notably better. Tell someone to show it in camp to make the team and they are consistently one of your better players.  Best faceoff guy by far and has been a very effective penalty killer. 
I keep him up and if he struggles in regular season you can send him down. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's one game. But Podz had 2 shots and 3 hits. And honestly I didn't even notice him most of the game. Considering who he was on a line with, that's not great. 

Ya. Not just dissing an ex player just because, but Pods looked like same old Pods. Neither here nor there. Still pulling for the guy, but there were a few shifts there where I thought to myself that the KHL is in his future. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Ya. Not just dissing an ex player just because, but Pods looked like same old Pods. Neither here nor there. Still pulling for the guy, but there were a few shifts there where I thought to myself that the KHL is in his future. 

Getting that feel of the player with all the tools but no box.

I think the formative years after his draft when they wouldn't play him in the KHL and he barely played over his 18-19 year old years was too damaging to his development of the sense and feel for the game.

He works his ass off, does everything he is told he is just over-thinking all the time.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I agree, there just isn't really a spot for him.  While he definitely outplayed Aman, Im betting theyd rather see him get top mins in all situations in Abby....,...to start.  Then get to work on a deal to make a spot for him.

Though he's better than Aman, Aman is still a young C and losing that depth by putting him on waivers and getting claimed would be a big hit

Aman cleared waivers last year, wasn’t markedly improved.  I like Aman as a depth forward but wouldn’t call losing a 5th centre a big hit when Max Sasson really isn’t a drop off if he has to take the 5th C role. 
I am all for overseasoning in the AHL but also believe when you earn a spot they should make a spot. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Aman cleared waivers last year, wasn’t markedly improved.  I like Aman as a depth forward but wouldn’t call losing a 5th centre a big hit when Max Sasson really isn’t a drop off if he has to take the 5th C role. 
I am all for overseasoning in the AHL but also believe when you earn a spot they should make a spot. 

I am too, but we saw how important depth, especially down the middle is, during the playoffs.  Though I like Sasson, he's not Aman level yet.  

I doubt Aman would clear waivers this year, as he showed he could be an NHL C last season.  As crappy as it would be for Raty, he doesn't need waivers.........hes also better getting top mins in Abby, than 4th line mins in Van.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think we're at a very important place with our management. Can our coaches, and management get our AHL, Junior, players to the next level and develop into true NHL'ers? 

It would be great if our prospects make the jump. Hopefully Manny really helps with this. 

I think he'll be good, but he's got big shoes to fill after Colliiton

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think we're at a very important place with our management. Can our coaches, and management get our AHL, Junior, players to the next level and develop into true NHL'ers? 

It would be great if our prospects make the jump. Hopefully Manny really helps with this. 

With the guys collected by this management clearly that’s happening. Benning’s legacy of bad draft choices and horrid free agent signings to build the farm is almost completely gone. 

• Cheers 1

Edmonton fans cheering like they just won the trophy.... get a grip, probably the only game against us that you do win this season. Once we play our NHL lineup and especially once Demko is healthy and back. 

The ONLY Oiler that stood out in MY eyes was Stecher. He'll be a top pairing D by the end of the season... book it. 

There is a 'rumor' that the Oilers are linked to Seth Jones... could we see a swap of Nurse for Jones? not sure if that makes them better though. 

Lankinen had a good game, in my opinion. He should get some extra training from Cheech on how to poke check. 

( when I played goal and wanted to poke check, I'd go more like 6" above the puck. He can't tuck it in if you take out his foot, and no ref will call you for tripping because you just 'missed' on your check. )

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Sasson isn’t better than Aman. Also, Blueger is hurt. Once he’s back he will be in the lineup over Raty and Aman. Raty then becomes a 13th forward. So it’s a no brainer to send him down to play top minutes in Abby and keep Aman as your 13th forward. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sasson isn’t better than Aman. Also, Blueger is hurt. Once he’s back he will be in the lineup over Raty and Aman. Raty then becomes a 13th forward. So it’s a no brainer to send him down to play top minutes in Abby and keep Aman as your 13th forward. 

Didn’t say that he was better, said it wasn’t that much of a drop between the two depth forwards.
Understand that Blueger is hurt and Räty is sitting in his spot but end of the day it is the 4th line C role that is up for grabs to some extent.  We may go Suter with Garland and Dak, in which case Blue is 4th and Raty should be down and Aman as 13. If they decide to move Blueger up I would shift Suter to wing and keep Raty as 4th as he is their best faceoff guy and good PKer. Aman has been very poor on faceoffs and part of some of the worst PK groups around. 

• Cheers 1

I didn't like that McDavid hit on Lekkerimaki, as a "welcome to the big leagues". The way that slimy jerk looked over at the Canucks bench afterwards with that smirk. I was really hoping one of our guys would return the favour. Desharnais could've crushed him, but it almost appeared that Vinny was taking it easy on his old team. Good thing it was preseason. Canucks are going to need Desharnais to play big and nasty this season.

I think Blueger is back for Game 1 and Raty will beat out Aman for the #4C spot.

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong

Suter - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Raty - Sherwood

Di Giuseppe

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

With Blueger out, you have an opportunity to play Raty up on the 3rd line for a bit; you take that chance. That is regular icetime with good linemates (Garland and Hogs/Sprong/Suter). We know what Aman is, and he is NOT a 3rd line center. Give Raty a chance in Blueger's absence.

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I didn't like that McDavid hit on Lekkerimaki, as a "welcome to the big leagues". The way that slimy jerk looked over at the Canucks bench afterwards with that smirk. I was really hoping one of our guys would return the favour. Desharnais could've crushed him, but it almost appeared that Vinny was taking it easy on his old team. Good thing it was preseason. Canucks are going to need Desharnais to play big and nasty this season.

I think Blueger is back for Game 1 and Raty will beat out Aman for the #4C spot.

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong

Suter - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Raty - Sherwood

Di Giuseppe

I flip Raty and Blueger IF he is ready. Give him a few games at 3C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Didn’t say that he was better, said it wasn’t that much of a drop between the two depth forwards.
Understand that Blueger is hurt and Räty is sitting in his spot but end of the day it is the 4th line C role that is up for grabs to some extent.  We may go Suter with Garland and Dak, in which case Blue is 4th and Raty should be down and Aman as 13. If they decide to move Blueger up I would shift Suter to wing and keep Raty as 4th as he is their best faceoff guy and good PKer. Aman has been very poor on faceoffs and part of some of the worst PK groups around. 

Suter is a better winger, but offers decent faceoff ability if called upon

• Cheers 1