[GDT] Around the NHL [October 2024]

image.thumb.png.fdcae966bbe1a3392d971e57524a1032.png

It's almost time, the regular season is just around the corner. Pretty soon all the rosters will be set and we'll be ready to go, the stakes will be real going forward. I haven't been able to find a good image that has all the current NHL logos, so I've thrown up what I can. The old one Vintage used is out of date given that Arizona's no longer a thing. I'll probably keep poking around for something better, but it'll do for now. 

Expectations for the Canucks will be higher this season, teams will be gearing up for them in a manner that they may not have last season, we won't be taking anyone by surprise this go round. Be interesting to see how they go. 

Schedule

Week One

https://www.nhl.com/schedule/2024-09-26

Week Two

https://www.nhl.com/schedule/2024-10-03

Week Three

https://www.nhl.com/schedule/2024-10-10

Week Four

https://www.nhl.com/schedule/2024-10-17

Week Five

https://www.nhl.com/schedule/2024-10-24

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

So we should have about 5 mil to get Boeser done and give Hoglander a raise.

Shouldnt have an issue keeping the team together if they wanted.

Also the increase in the OEL cap penalty will be offset by Poolman coming off the books.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hoping the result isn't yet another long-term injury

Habs seem even more cursed than the Canucks as of late

That’s very late hit. Didn’t seem to get the head but Dach is an injury prone player so it could be bad news for him. 

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Michkov could be an immediate star if he can keep up what he's been doing in the preaseon 

Up to 7 in 4

Michkov’s hockey smarts are off the charts. I remember the late ‘70’s when “so called” hockey experts were saying some kid from Ontario was too skinny, too slow, and too weak to shoot and play in the National League. Smarts (with skill) make superstars. We’ve seen that before. Anyone seeing Michkov play in the world u18’s could see he was one of those rare greats who only come along once in a blue moon. Insane he dropped to seven in his draft. Should have gone for sure second and Alf’s Empties take him first. He’s that rare a player. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Michkov’s hockey smarts are off the charts. I remember the late ‘70’s when “so called” hockey experts were says some kid from Ontario was too skinny, too slow, and could shoot. Smarts (with skill) make superstars. Anyone seeing Michkov pkay in the world u18’s could see he was one of those rare greats who only come along once in a blue moon. Insane he dropped to seven in his draft. Should have gone for sure second and Alf’s Empties take him first. He’s that rare a player. 

Not the biggest guy, but his talent is undeniable 

Philly may not make the playoffs, they're still a franchise in transition, but they should be fun to watch so long as he's in the lineup 

He could still grow some more, and he'll fill out over time 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not the biggest guy, but his talent is undeniable 

Philly may not make the playoffs, they're still a franchise in transition, but they should be fun to watch so long as he's in the lineup 

He could still grow some more, and he'll fill out over time 

Michkov is a guy who is must watch. Bedard last year. McDavid before. Makar is too. Some guys just have “it”. Michkov has “it. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hopefully it's just minor or precautionary, what a preseason

I’m thinking neither have injuries but both are insanely competitive so could hurt themselves doing something stupid. They are being sat out for their own good. Got to like guys who have that kind of instinct. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@Coconuts

is Yakumchuk a jumbo sized Makar? Sens have to keep him up don’t they? He’s way too good to send back to junior. He’s already their best pp D man and (maybe?) second best D to Sanderson overall. 

Hard to say, if he cracks the bigs and shows well that'd be something but comparing almost any D to Makar nowadays is a stretch, we have the direct comparable 

Him and Hughes lead the pack for silky smooth D 

He looks to have NHL ready size though

Right now they probably have Jensen and Zub are their top 4RD but Jensen is 34 and could be bumped down 

Hamonic and Bernard-Docker are both competing for that last RD spot though I'd imagine, I half expect Hamonic to end up on waivers if he's not Ottawa's extra

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1