[GDT] Around the NHL [October 2024]

I have to make this observation about the Montreal Toronto tilt. And it might just be me but there is scant support for the Leafs in that building tonight compared to the constant drone of stupid go leafs go chants we have to endure here in Vancouver. Is it possible that we have, living amongst us in Vancouver, a Maple Leaf fan base that threatens to drown out the local effort to cheer and in Montreal, Leafie supporters are too timid to even make a peep!? Or is it that in Montreal they don’t suffer fools while we put up with obnoxious behaviour because we’re laid back and chill out here on the coast? It’s probably just me ….

8 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I have to make this observation about the Montreal Toronto tilt. And it might just be me but there is scant support for the Leafs in that building tonight compared to the constant drone of stupid go leafs go chants we have to endure here in Vancouver. Is it possible that we have, living amongst us in Vancouver, a Maple Leaf fan base that threatens to drown out the local effort to cheer and in Montreal, Leafie supporters are too timid to even make a peep!? Or is it that in Montreal they don’t suffer fools while we put up with obnoxious behaviour because we’re laid back and chill out here on the coast? It’s probably just me ….

F them both! 

17 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Hard to say, but Montreal typically shows pretty well in Vancouver too

Just a lot of eastern transplants in the lower mainland, so there's money in selling your tickets to fans of these teams

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

Hard to say, but Montreal typically shows pretty well in Vancouver too

Just a lot of eastern transplants in the lower mainland

Sure enough, it’s been that way for the many decades I’ve followed this team but I would expect there has been a healthy internal migration from Toronto to Montreal as well. Do all the obnoxious ones end up out here? I guess I just appreciate a fan base in Montreal that seems to be able to snuff out opposition towel waving in their own building. It’s like we have a privileged group of provocateurs and shit disturbers in our town who somehow feel safe to chant and cheer with unchallenged vigour. It’s always bugged me I quess. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Shesterkin also with a shutout to begin the season

But this is more impressive 

When you look at goals saved above expected it's pretty easy to see that Montembeault is a quality keeper. His traditional stats will improve as the team matures around him. They still have a super young defence but there's some really good young pieces in place and more coming 

• Cheers 1