Who will excel, Heinen, Sprong or Sherwood.

DANJR

Out of our three new forward acquisitions who will do the best?
Danton Heinen, Kiefer Sherwood or Daniel Sprong.

All three are very similar in size, and very close in age.

Danton and Daniel have nearly identical career highs in points.

I am really more interested in who can come closest to their career highs or exceed them.  Who do you think will do the best with meeting expectations put on them?

15 minutes ago, coquitlamdave said:

Hoping for all three!  Cheap signings, inflating stats, and then trading for picks or less-achieved youngsters could be a great way to increase the cupboards and build for continued success.   Go Canucks!

I would have never thought of it like that.  That is a great way to keep a team strong if you have a successful team that isn't getting high draft picks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think all 3 will perform better with the Canucks.  That said, the biggest bang will come from either/or

Sherwood and/or Sprong.  Will Sherwood up his offensive game and provide some protection for

EP?  Will Sprong up his defensive game and become a top line scorer, who is responsible defensively?

4RW spots with only 2 filled (Brock, Garly).  Who is EP's winger, who is on the 4th line?

• Thanks 1

For me Sherwood is the guy who moves the needle most. He will beef up the bottom 6, and when DJ is fit to return we will have 4 extremely good lines.

Sprong is quick and has skill so I have high hopes for him too.

Gotta be honest I didn't get much from Heinen in pre season but that's not to say he won't be a great addition 

• Like 2

Sherwood looks like he has some untapped offensive potential. With the right guys, he might contribute more than his role in Nashville.

Sprong is interesting. Watching him on TV, he skates and moves like an elite or high level player. There's obviously a reason for why he's been bounced around (defense) but man, on the right line that can make up for his defense, he might be able to put 30 goals. He's like

Kuzmenko but faster, and perhaps even a better shot.

Edited by Integra250
  • Like 2

Sprong style reminds me of Kessel, obviously likely to never hit the totals Phil did but if Sprong was in top 6, 30G shouldn't be out of the question if he can finish on his chances that is.

Heinen, hope he works out well, should help the PK and speed is good. 

Sherwood, like what he brings, would try Garland in top 6 if Sprong doesn't work and maybe Sherwood gets 3rd line Minutes if Sprong gets in Tocchets dog house ala Kuzmenko. Joshua and Sherwood on same line would be fun to see...lots of hits!

Suter- is tradeable at this point imo but maybe that occurs later once we know Blueger is healthy and Raty starts in the AHL until the new year/TDL?

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think all 3 will perform better with the Canucks.  That said, the biggest bang will come from either/or

Sherwood and/or Sprong.  Will Sherwood up his offensive game and provide some protection for

EP?  Will Sprong up his defensive game and become a top line scorer, who is responsible defensively?

4RW spots with only 2 filled (Brock, Garly).  Who is EP's winger, who is on the 4th line?

Hoglander will be EP's winger, and Sprong will see spot duty with Miller line but Suter can also play there. 3rd line will stay the same, as Joshua, Garland and Blueger have chemistry. 4th line will see Sherwood, Raty and Heinen/PDJ.

I think Raty will make it as a 4th line C and Suter will be the winger. Rest like Aman, Lekker, Karlsson, Sasson etc. Will return to AHL and Blais will probably not be signed.

3 minutes ago, Defcon1 said:

Sprong and Sherwood. I have not been impressed by Heinen at all

i'm sure the coaching staff has reason to put heinen in the top 6... lots of videotape and scouting has him likely getting the nod... plus his toughness and size not to mention his pk abilities

2 hours ago, coquitlamdave said:

Hoping for all three!  Cheap signings, inflating stats, and then trading for picks or less-achieved youngsters could be a great way to increase the cupboards and build for continued success.   Go Canucks!

If we're trading away overachieving cheap players, something will have gone horribly wrong. Sprong's only on an 1yr and with Boeser and OEL (god damn you Benning) both due raises we'll probably need to keep the other two.

15 minutes ago, Defcon1 said:

Hoglander will be EP's winger, and Sprong will see spot duty with Miller line but Suter can also play there. 3rd line will stay the same, as Joshua, Garland and Blueger have chemistry. 4th line will see Sherwood, Raty and Heinen/PDJ.

I think Raty will make it as a 4th line C and Suter will be the winger. Rest like Aman, Lekker, Karlsson, Sasson etc. Will return to AHL and Blais will probably not be signed.

Hogs is a LW, so I don't know if Tocc will want him on the right side.

Joshua and Blueger are listed as injured for the time being.  In the meantime, there are openings for Raty + Hogs

on the 3rd line.

I hope they send Raty back to Abby, if the option is for him to play 9min a game.  I'd rather see him

on the top line in Abby with +20mins a game and playing PP, PK, etc.

Aman stays with the Canucks.  His game is more suited to the 4th line.

I really hope Sprong can overcome his defensive deficiencies. Otherwise, I see us rolling with him in the top 6 to start and on PP to boost value for an eventual trade if he can’t. But the whole league has his number so it’s not like we can sell him on his offensive numbers alone - so really it was us that took the gamble on him being able to learn the two way game. 

I am hopeful, but realistic, and I suspect Hoglander usurps his spot and finally meshes with Petey now that Debrusk is there as a compliment. Similar to how Boeser and Petey were a great pair for us years ago and we could toss guys on with them. I don’t think our coaching staff has any appetite for another Kuzmenko/offense only winger for Petey. 

Heinen is a better Suter on Miller's wing.

Sprong is a better Kuzmenko on Petey's wing (and let's not forget DeBrusk is a better Mikheyev).

Sherwood is a better Lafferty.

I think Sprong will have the greatest impact, if all goes well. Imagine if Sprong and DeBrusk with Petey works out...

Hot take: Petey will take back his difinitive #1 centre status this year over Miller. 

• Like 1

I think Sprong will get the winger job initially with Petey, so that gives a leg up.

Heinen with Miller so he is the next candidate.  

Sherwood will be in the bottom six, so might produce well for the minutes he is playing but not have the same opportunity.

Once healthy:

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Sherwood-Suter-Hoglander

Of course someone likely moves out by Christmas (my bet is Hoglander as he is cheap and owed a raise) when we realize we badly need a top four D, so it opens up a spot for a guy like Raty and that make shake the lines up.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1