Who will excel, Heinen, Sprong or Sherwood.

DANJR

All are very solid additions, I think Sprong will workout best just because it looks like he's at least going to get a chance alongside Pettersson and DeBrusk after already being good enough to put up 43 and 46 points in each of the last two years with inferior line mates to what he will have. I think Heinen and Sherwood will excel in their own ways though especially since they seem like perfect Tocchet kind of players. 

Edited by CaribouCanuck
  • Like 2

I think Sherwood will have the biggest impact, especially next playoffs. He seems like a royal pain in the ass to play against. Good for us, bad for the other teams. Combine Garland, Hoglander and Sherwood - the Canucks will be a really tough team to play against.

Heinen looks like a good, smart player. Maybe like Suter, except bigger and better? And I like he's from Langley.

Sprong has speed and some skill, but I wonder if he hotdogs it to try and impress the coaches or maybe he just tries to do too much on his own. That end-to-end goal against the Flames was fantastic, but I'll have to watch him more closely to see how his playmaking skills are (awareness, vision, passing etc). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I was fairly excited and optimistic about all three before training camp but after watching them compete I feel that non of them will have an impressive season. 

Sherwood will be a decent fourth line winger in terms of hustle and forecheck but wont contribute much more than Lafferty did regarding points.

Heinen is a 4th liner in my opinion 

Sprong has some offenive skill but his 200 foot game wont keep him in Tocchets line up so I predict he looses favour around November 

Management fucked up by trading away our future for Elias Lindholm only to let him walk. Getting Zedorov for a 4th was awsome but no signing him was a massive mistake. He was an enforcer and finally the team got some respect with him on the ice. I would have rater traded Elias Pettersson for a top 4 RD rather than signing him for 11. whatever. 

We could have had

Miller 

Lindholm

Blueger 

Suter 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov _______

Soucy Myers 

In my opinion this  would have been a stronger more competitive team 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

I was fairly excited and optimistic about all three before training camp but after watching them compete I feel that non of them will have an impressive season. 

Sherwood will be a decent fourth line winger in terms of hustle and forecheck but wont contribute much more than Lafferty did regarding points.

Sprong has some offenive skill but his 200 foot game wont keep him in Tocchets line up so I predict he looses favour around November 

Management fucked up by trading away our future for Elias Lindholm only to let him walk. Getting Zedorov for a 4th was awsome but no signing him was a massive mistake. He was an enforcer and finally the team got some respect with him on the ice. I would have rater traded Elias Pettersson for a top 4 RD rather than signing him for 11. whatever. 

We could have had

Miller 

Lindholm

Blueger 

Suter 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov _______

Soucy Myers 

🤔 I wouldn't go as far as saying unimpressive. Sherwood has shown plenty that he has good speed and will be a huge pest for us. Plus it does look like he's got some good offensive abilities that can hopefully be brought  to another level.

Sprong has also shown plenty of speed. Actually more than I knew he had. I like that he's been vocal about wanting to become a more complete player too, because his offense is definitely there.

Heinen I haven't really seen much from, but I also understand it's pre-season. I want to at least give them 20 games into the season to see what they can all bring.

For losing Lindholm and Zadorov, as much as it hurts, those were the right moves to not handcuff ourselves with the contracts. Our defense is definitely still needing one more addition, but our team as a whole is better this year and is much better in terms of their cap management.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

We could have had

Miller 

Lindholm

Blueger 

Suter 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov _______

Soucy Myers 

A bit soon to even think none of these additions will excel. We haven't even had one real game yet. Vets don't work that hard during pre season.

I think all three have the possibility of playing well above what they get paid because of the skilled players they may be with. 

• Vintage 1

If Heinen finds chemistry with JT and Boeser he's going to have a pretty big year imo. PDG looked great there at points. Heinen by all accounts is a far superior player, he had 36 points last season and 2 of his last 3 seasons he had 17 and 18 goals respectively. I am not expecting major growth there, but he can feasibly hit 40+ points and maybe even crack 20 goals just from the space created by the other two players. Playing hard on the forecheck is really a major weapon for that line. Boeser and Miller are hard on the forecheck themselves. That'd make that line incredibly hard to get out of the dzone against.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

We could have had

Miller 

Lindholm

Blueger 

Suter 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov _______

Soucy Myers 

It's only preseason 😄

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/1/2024 at 2:04 PM, Viking said:

Sprong style reminds me of Kessel, obviously likely to never hit the totals Phil did but if Sprong was in top 6, 30G shouldn't be out of the question if he can finish on his chances that is.

Heinen, hope he works out well, should help the PK and speed is good. 

Sherwood, like what he brings, would try Garland in top 6 if Sprong doesn't work and maybe Sherwood gets 3rd line Minutes if Sprong gets in Tocchets dog house ala Kuzmenko. Joshua and Sherwood on same line would be fun to see...lots of hits!

Suter- is tradeable at this point imo but maybe that occurs later once we know Blueger is healthy and Raty starts in the AHL until the new year/TDL?

I also agree that Suter is tradeable at this point. Once Joshua is healthy. A line of: Joshua-Räty-Garland could even improve upon last year. No offense to Teddy, but Räty is the far superior offensive player and you could argue could be better in the dot. 

12 hours ago, Toccfather said:

I also agree that Suter is tradeable at this point. Once Joshua is healthy. A line of: Joshua-Räty-Garland could even improve upon last year. No offense to Teddy, but Räty is the far superior offensive player and you could argue could be better in the dot. 

What makes you think Suter is tradable? He was part of our by far best line last season, and so far we have zero evidence any of the new boys will perform well on that line? On top of that he can play both 3rd and 4th line C... On top of that he carries a cap hit of only $1.6M, which is mega good value for money.

I don't see any chance of Suter being traded this year, unless they for any reason can't find a space for him amongst the 13 forwards...

Sprong>Sherwood>Heinen

Admittedly I know the most about Sprong and lesser about Sherwood and Heinen but neither of the latter have impressed me much. Sherwood seems to work hard but in the very short sample size I've seen of him lacks maybe some skill? 

I hope I'm wrong. Heinen hasn't shown me anything yet. However it's preseason so I'm not gonna judge yet.

If it were my choice I'd guarantee Sprong a spot on the team and make Sherwood and Heinen prove it (but admittedly they'd get claimed as I'm sure they'd go to waivers) as I prefer young talent to gain experience and it also helps for trades because other GM's see potential. 

Based on the exhibition games I see Sherwood and Sprong making the most impact so far. But I sure like Sherwood a lot. He's a work horse willing to hit and stir the pot and he can also makes some good plays as well. I think it would be cool to see him play with EP40 as he can create some room for him.

Edited by RolexSub
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 1:00 PM, DANJR said:

Out of our three new forward acquisitions who will do the best?
Danton Heinen, Kiefer Sherwood or Daniel Sprong.

All three are very similar in size, and very close in age.

Danton and Daniel have nearly identical career highs in points.

I am really more interested in who can come closest to their career highs or exceed them.  Who do you think will do the best with meeting expectations put on them?

Simple, in Tocchets world.

Not who scores the most points in preseason.  ie. playing with the puck.

Its who backchecks more efficiently, ie. playing without the puck

On 10/1/2024 at 7:28 PM, Bounce000 said:

Will my Hog Sprong this year? It Sherwood

On 10/2/2024 at 8:15 AM, Captkirk888 said:

It Sherwood be nice if they upped their o game. By Sprong tome we should know. If they all bust their Heinens it wood be amazing.

Hog Sprongs eternal.

• Like 1

imo we dont have any 30 goal scorer but i sure hope i am wrong and that at least 2 players of either Heinen, sprong, hoglander or by all means even sherwood can get close to thsoe numbers. if they dont we will have a mediocre season. that and a healthy hungry EP40  to lead a line BB and JT leading the other scoring ones. i honestly think the first 10-15 games will show EXACTLY how this season will end. sure do hope it can happen...we need at least 8 wins in those 15 games or id say we are screwed.  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

What makes you think Suter is tradable? He was part of our by far best line last season, and so far we have zero evidence any of the new boys will perform well on that line? On top of that he can play both 3rd and 4th line C... On top of that he carries a cap hit of only $1.6M, which is mega good value for money.

I don't see any chance of Suter being traded this year, unless they for any reason can't find a space for him amongst the 13 forwards...

PDG was on our best line last year too for stretches. And he was Tocc's golden goose but still got waived. Not saying Suter is going to get traded, but I think that line is pretty damn good with just about anyone.

On 10/1/2024 at 1:09 PM, Canuck You said:

I think Sherwood is going to surprise a lot of people who had him penned as a 13th forward, I've always liked him and he'll have the chance to play with better forwards, Also he brings that fear element that we need with DJ out..DJ was 9th in hits and Sherwood 14th last season. Come at us bro!

He was the only Predator last year that I wanted to climb through the TV and punch him until there was nothing left of his face in the Vancouver-Nashville series.  He’s fast and fiesty and he’s got some hands too. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a regular role bouncing between line 2 & line 3 by the end of the year. 

• Cheers 1