Who will excel, Heinen, Sprong or Sherwood.

DANJR

On 10/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, Rypien-Punch said:

I was fairly excited and optimistic about all three before training camp but after watching them compete I feel that non of them will have an impressive season. 

Sherwood will be a decent fourth line winger in terms of hustle and forecheck but wont contribute much more than Lafferty did regarding points.

Heinen is a 4th liner in my opinion 

Sprong has some offenive skill but his 200 foot game wont keep him in Tocchets line up so I predict he looses favour around November 

Management fucked up by trading away our future for Elias Lindholm only to let him walk. Getting Zedorov for a 4th was awsome but no signing him was a massive mistake. He was an enforcer and finally the team got some respect with him on the ice. I would have rater traded Elias Pettersson for a top 4 RD rather than signing him for 11. whatever. 

We could have had

Miller 

Lindholm

Blueger 

Suter 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov _______

Soucy Myers 

In my opinion this  would have been a stronger more competitive team 

What Future? We have 0 draft picks in the last 5 drafts that are currently on the team. And 2- Hoglander and Silovs in the past 6 drafts..

I’d say with our drafting and/or development speed in this organization, you probably shouldn’t worry about trading draft picks all that much. 

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

What makes you think Suter is tradable? He was part of our by far best line last season, and so far we have zero evidence any of the new boys will perform well on that line? On top of that he can play both 3rd and 4th line C... On top of that he carries a cap hit of only $1.6M, which is mega good value for money.

I don't see any chance of Suter being traded this year, unless they for any reason can't find a space for him amongst the 13 forwards...

Yes, but I feel Heinen will be a much better compliment to that line. More speed, better shot, better passer, Suter is most definitely the better defensive player. Only so much room for players once Joshua comes back & Suter isn't a depth forward, he can be a 3rd liner on most teams. Cap flexibility can be used towards obtaining a #3dman and additional grit. 

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

What Future? We have 0 draft picks in the last 5 drafts that are currently on the team. And 2- Hoglander and Silovs in the past 6 drafts..

I’d say with our drafting and/or development speed in this organization, you probably shouldn’t worry about trading draft picks all that much. 

Sadly traded a lot of picks away though.

1rst and 2nd in 2020 for JT Miller (easy win).

1rst in 2021 and 2nd in 2022 plus a bunch of cap dumps for OEL and Garland (Dylan Guenther BPA at or pick obviously this trades a loss)

Then losing a 3rd and 2nd round picks in years to buy Jason Dickinson and then get rid of him.

dumping Mikheyev for a 2nd round pick

the Lindholm addition last year losing a good prospect and a 1rst round pick.

lets just say for 5 years we haven’t given our scouts much of a chance to hit on top picks. Anything after the 2nd round is a long shot and it seems like that’s all our picks for the last 5 years. Other then our Lekkerimaki and Willander picks. We really need those guys to pan out because of how little bullets we’ve had in the draft.

23 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

PDG was on our best line last year too for stretches. And he was Tocc's golden goose but still got waived. Not saying Suter is going to get traded, but I think that line is pretty damn good with just about anyone.

Dare I suggest that Suter won't be traded until they are sure, they have another fit on that line. 
the line was, with Suter on it, one of the best lines in the NHL.. I won't argue about PDG and his ability to help on that line, but think there's a reason, why Tocchet preferred to play Suter with Brock and JT. 

21 hours ago, Toccfather said:

Yes, but I feel Heinen will be a much better compliment to that line. More speed, better shot, better passer, Suter is most definitely the better defensive player. Only so much room for players once Joshua comes back & Suter isn't a depth forward, he can be a 3rd liner on most teams. Cap flexibility can be used towards obtaining a #3dman and additional grit. 

O get your reasoning, and not saying its wrong, however as I said in another post, I'd like to see them do well with Heinen, before shooting Suter off to the stars... for defensive help or similar. 
Who knows, how well Sprong plays on Peteys wing. If he doesn't learn the detensive side of things, it may not last long before he will be riding the pine...

I think Suter will hang around longer, than some expect. 
Regardless, its great to such depth now, that we debate, if we should ship out a player, who was part of one of the best lines in the NHL... its been a while, since we were in that position.