Build your Canucks team with $17 bucks

image.thumb.png.c79028e118a9c9090b72c29ac6edd345.png

I'll be a bit unconventional and go with the following line-up:

Miller-Kesler-Bertuzzi

Jovanovski-Tanev

R.Miller

-To what extent can Kesler's superb defensive prowess compensate for Miller and Bertuzzi's defensive shortcomings?

-To what extent can Tanev's superb defensive savviness compensate for "Special Ed?"

-To what extent can Miller's playmaking abilities compensate for Kesler's lack of skill in this area?   

My gut says that all three of the above potential concerns would be solved........and you'd see a very dynamic, skilled, and physical element with these 5 men on the ice.  Jovanovski leading and joining the rush with Tanev saving his bum + Bertuzzi crashing the net and creating a physical force while Kesler back-checks and bails Bertuzzi out defensively.  Miller would be there sniping and/or playmaking and giving the offense just enough creativity.  Unlike most Canucks' line-ups, this is the type of line that can also physically dominate out there and really set the tone.  This would come in especially handy during the playoffs.  It's going to be tough for teams to batter this line on the forecheck and this line would also be superb at Face-offs with Kesler and Miller there.

Speaking of "the other Miller," while it's true that Ryan Miller was a little passed his prime when he got here, he was still a very solid goalie.  Not a superstar by any means (while with us), but he was worth his contract in its entirety.  Not a penny more.  Not a penny less.  Extremely good value at just $2.  

My other picks:

#2 (my actual "real" first choice but I wanted to be creative and so I went with the above)

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi

Hamhuis-Jovanovski

McLean

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hamhuis-Bieksa

McLean

#2 and #3 are likely better than my #1 but I enjoyed creating #1 since it "goes against the grain" a little bit (and also has a lot of untapped hidden potential imo).  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think I already said mine the last time the thread on this went up, but maybe that was on CDC. I can't remember it exactly, but let's go with this

G - Miller - a steal at $2

D - Hughes - Too good to pass up

D - Jovo - Probably our 2nd most skilled defenseman ever, so a steal at $3

RW - Bertuzzi - in his prime was basically as good as Naslund but $1 cheaper

C - Kesler - Defensive acumen with offensive skill

LW - Burrows - Kesler chemistry

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Slight variation to my initial "out of the box" team.  The Jovo-Tanev tandem stays in-tact while I upgrade in net from 'decent' 2014-2017 Ryan Miller to 'bubble' Demko (although I still like my Miller-Kesler-Bertuzzi / Jovo-Tanev / R.Miller team better).

Miller-Horvat-Smyl

Jovanovski-Tanev

Demko

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

Bure - Ronning - Mogilny ($10)

Lumme- Tanev ($5)

Miller ($2)

Bure and Mogilny are arguably the two most talented players in Canucks history. Miller is the 2nd best goalie out of the five listed. Lumme and Tanev are defensively responsible but also move the puck extremely well. Ronning the waterbug to dart around, be a decoy, etc .

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Down By the River said:

Bure - Ronning - Mogilny ($10)

Lumme- Tanev ($5)

Miller ($2)

Bure and Mogilny are arguably the two most talented players in Canucks history. Miller is the 2nd best goalie out of the five listed. Lumme and Tanev are defensively responsible but also move the puck extremely well. Ronning the waterbug to dart around, be a decoy, etc .

I'm going to use your Lumme-Tanev idea and create a non-flashy but solid 5-man group that play a smart and responsible two-way game.

Burrows-Kesler-Linden

Lumme-Tanev

Demko

Nothing "sexy" or dynamic with the above but a formidable and responsible group with little to no weaknesses.  

• Cheers 1

Hammer and Bieksa is far and away the best value blueline. Wow. Why is Tanev as much as both combined? Lol. Both players clear Tanev, and by a wide margin imo.

Nazzy ($4) - Pettersson ($5) - Bertuzzi ($3)

Hammer ($2) - Juice ($1)

Miller ($2)

• Cheers 2

Speed kills ladies and gentlemen!

Williams (1), Kesler (3), Bure (5) 

Hughes (5),  Bieksa (1)

Miller (2) 

A truly nasty lineup to play against that can out skate anyone.  Very dangerous offensively, very hard to score against and very little that you can do about it. (Unless you’d like to have words with Tiger while KB keeps your buddy in check) 

The rare time that you MIGHT have any kind of possession time will be spent trying to beat Ryan Miller while hoping that you don’t get burned the other way.

I wish the rest of your lineups the best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hammer and Bieksa is far and away the best value blueline. Wow. Why is Tanev as much as both combined? Lol. Both players clear Tanev, and by a wide margin imo.

Nazzy ($4) - Pettersson ($5) - Bertuzzi ($3)

Hammer ($2) - Juice ($1)

Miller ($2)

There are many bargain bin guys aside from them too.   Aside from Cloutier, but 100% agree what the heck is Tanev even doing on here.  Where are Kearns, Lanz, McCarthy, Lidster ... yikes.   Best value is Ronning. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There are many bargain bin guys aside from them too.   Aside from Cloutier, but 100% agree what the heck is Tanev even doing on here.  Where are Kearns, Lanz, McCarthy, Lidster ... yikes.   Best value is Ronning. 

Yeah, a lot of the 2 and 3 dollar guys are pretty great value. Minus Tanev. Sheesh. I love him, but I would easily take all the lower cost D over him. Hard not to take Miller at 3 dollars too. And you are 100% on Ronning being 1 dollar. Madness.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yeah, a lot of the 2 and 3 dollar guys are pretty great value. Minus Tanev. Sheesh. I love him, but I would easily take all the lower cost D over him. Hard not to take Miller at 3 dollars too. And you are 100% on Ronning being 1 dollar. Madness.

Not to pick on Demko, but not sure why he's ahead of McLean either.   There were some great goalies (HHOFers), he beat out as a Vezina finalist.   And seriously, check out his 94 run...best stats so far by a Canuck

goalie against some pretty insane competition (a lot of HHOFers, and fringe HHOFers) in the playoffs. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not to pick on Demko, but not sure why he's ahead of McLean either.   There were some great goalies (HHOFers), he beat out as a Vezina finalist.   And seriously, check out his 94 run...best stats so far by a Canuck

goalie against some pretty insane competition (a lot of HHOFers, and fringe HHOFers) in the playoffs. 

Yeah we pretty much the exact same thoughts on the pricing. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Goal: McLean The most underrated player on that list other than possibly Ronning.
Defense: Bieksa, Salo One has a little truculence, the other a tremendous point shot, both solid defensively.
Forward line: Bure, Pettersson, Horvat Greatest goal scorer in team history, great two way players in Petey and Bo.

Line 1
Bure ($5) - Kesler ($3) - Burrows ($1)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Line 2

Bure ($5) - Ronning ($1) - Bertuzzi ($3)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Line 3

Bure ($5) - Ronning ($1) - Miller ($3)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Can’t pass up on the opportunity of having Bure and Hughes playing together. Ronning, Salo, Miller (x2), Burrows all steals on the chart.

Demko is more expensive than McLean?  What a joke.

Linden - Ronning - Smyl

Hughes - Bieksa

McLean

And I've still got a dollar left over.

And I might put in Jovanovski for Hughes and have $3 left over.

It's actually fairly cheap to put together the lineup that will get it done in the playoffs.

And the best news...  Dave Babych, Geoff Courtnall, Patrik Sundstrom, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts and King Richard are apparently all free!

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1