Build your Canucks team with $17 bucks

15 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

image.thumb.png.c79028e118a9c9090b72c29ac6edd345.png

I'll be a bit unconventional and go with the following line-up:

Miller-Kesler-Bertuzzi

Jovanovski-Tanev

R.Miller

-To what extent can Kesler's superb defensive prowess compensate for Miller and Bertuzzi's defensive shortcomings?

-To what extent can Tanev's superb defensive savviness compensate for "Special Ed?"

-To what extent can Miller's playmaking abilities compensate for Kesler's lack of skill in this area?   

My gut says that all three of the above potential concerns would be solved........and you'd see a very dynamic, skilled, and physical element with these 5 men on the ice.  Jovanovski leading and joining the rush with Tanev saving his bum + Bertuzzi crashing the net and creating a physical force while Kesler back-checks and bails Bertuzzi out defensively.  Miller would be there sniping and/or playmaking and giving the offense just enough creativity.  Unlike most Canucks' line-ups, this is the type of line that can also physically dominate out there and really set the tone.  This would come in especially handy during the playoffs.

My other picks:

#2 (my actual "real" first choice but I wanted to be creative and so I went with the above)

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi

Hamhuis-Jovanovski

McLean

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hamhuis-Bieksa

McLean

#2 and #3 are likely better than my #1 but I enjoyed creating #1 since it "goes against the grain" a little bit (and also has a lot of untapped hidden potential imo).  

Burrows-Kesler-Bure

Hughes-Salo

Miller

that was fun.

think this would be an absolute nightmare to play against. 

Frick and Frack with the Russian Rocket would be fun.

Hughes and Bure on the same team would be ridiculous. Hughes would hit Bure at full

speed at the blue line regularly. Kesler and burrows would shutdown other teams lines and be very effective at puck retrievals.

Ryan Miller is the best value goalie there cost wise imo

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hammer and Bieksa is far and away the best value blueline. Wow. Why is Tanev as much as both combined? Lol. Both players clear Tanev, and by a wide margin imo.

Nazzy ($4) - Pettersson ($5) - Bertuzzi ($3)

Hammer ($2) - Juice ($1)

Miller ($2)

This is a really good team.  Nice bargain bins with Hammer and Juice.  Petey plays the "Morrison on steroids" role with Nazzy and Bert.  

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not to pick on Demko, but not sure why he's ahead of McLean either.   There were some great goalies (HHOFers), he beat out as a Vezina finalist.   And seriously, check out his 94 run...best stats so far by a Canuck

goalie against some pretty insane competition (a lot of HHOFers, and fringe HHOFers) in the playoffs. 

I think the creator of this game may have had a lot of 'recency bias' in mind, but I think a large part of this game might also have to do with letting candidates assess a players' cost relative to their values. For example, most would agree that Edler was a better defenseman than Hamhuis, but is Hamhuis more valuable at $2 than Edler at $4?  etc.  

• Cheers 1

Some new teams from me:

Naslund-Ronning-Bertuzzi 

Hughes-Salo 

McLean

[This team above was inspired from the dialogue that I read between @IBatch and @JeremyCuddles.  Agreed with both posters that many of the players from yester-year have been criminally underrated in this game (i.e. Ronning, McLean, etc.).  

Naslund-Pettersson-Mogilny

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Cloutier

[While many talk about how great Pettersson and Pavel would be together......trust me, they would have, I actually believe that prime Mogilny and Pettersson would have been even better.  Both are equally comfortable at being the set-up man and sniper, and both players play magnificent two-way games.  Both guys would also easily set-up one of the best snipers in his prime in Naslund].  

Miller-Horvat-Smyl

Hughes-Salo

Demko

[A surprisingly formidable forward group even if it doesn't look scary upon first glance.  Won't dominate but would easily hold their own.....and they'd be backed up our best defenseman in franchise history, as well as George Costanza's favourite, the "bubble boy!"

And of course, how can I *not* create a team without my favourite Canuck of all-time.........Pavel Bure.

Burrows-Linden-Bure

Lumme-Salo

Demko

[I would have rather seen Miller up front playing with Pavel instead of Burrows but I wouldn't have been able to fit them under the cap!]

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Burrows   Pettersson   Bure

Hughes   Bieksa

Cloutier

I borrowed a dollar from my neighbour.  It was worth it to see Petey, Huggy and Pavel all playing together at the same time...

just play without a goalie cloutier couldn't stop a beach ball anyways

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Burrows-Kesler-Bure

Hughes-Salo

Miller

that was fun.

Hughes and Bure on the same team would be ridiculous. Hughes would hit Bure at full

speed at the blue line regularly. Kesler and burrows would shutdown other teams lines and be very effective at puck retrievals.

One thing that would have been nice to have clarification, but kind of assumed, are you getting the best each of these guys were on our team?  Or best on any teams ... Bure's and Ryan Millers stock goes up, same possibly with Mogilny if you get Florida Bure,  rookie Buffalo year Mogilny and peak Buffalo Ryan Miller.   Ryan Miller is cheap enough to suggest you just get the best he was as a Canuck, that said Demko shouldn't be priced higher than Miller for sure, even the same so far is debateable.  McLean of course should be a dollar more.    Weren't many easy teams in the playoffs for him.    Without even adding them up, i'm sure at least a a dozen, maybe 15-20 in 1994 that were either locks or fringe guys.   Even Lowe recently inducted. 

Luongo is priced too high lol, nobody is taking him, and would be curious to see if he was also 3$,  if your getting peak,  how many would pick him over McLean.    If it's playoffs both McLean and Luongo had fabulous series.   Luongo vs Turco was pretty unbelievable.   Linden on the 3rd line was the man to get past him, near the end of his career, to me Linden and playoffs...better then any player in the 4$ range and the 5$ range. 

Goalies should have removed one from the 5$ lineup, and added Linden to the 5$ lineup.   Then Luongo, McLean, Miller, Broduer.   And added one of many guys that are deserving to move up from the 1$ range, and added a Gradin, Sundstrom, Tanti,  Kearns, Lidster, McCarthy, Lanz , Snepsts, Aucion,  Butcher, Babych, Courtnall etc.   They're a plenty of guys, who could have made the list instead of guys like Horvat, Morrison,  Cloutier (where is Broduer and Gary Smith?) and Tanev.   And hate to say it, but Hamhuis and Bieksa too, and Williams.    Know Ryan Miller is getting a ton of love ... but Gary Smith won the division for us, with a Hart like performance, if we are going to include guys who only played a couple seasons with us ... ahead of guys like Broduer, Cloutier really?  Without Broduer, no run to the final in 1982.   Helped make us the hottest team the final 20 games or after Neale was suspended.   You don't get a name like the "King" for no reason.   Wasn't his fault EDM and CAL became powerhouses in the 80's either.  

Greg Adams and Courtnall versus Burrows...tough right?  Adams was just as clutch.    Courtnall of course, was a PPG player for us, just as much an agitator, and grittier/harder to play against.   And didn't have the Sedins.  

How about this team, assuming all guys are 1$ not included ...

Linden Ronning Larionov  6$

Hughes  Babych  6$ 

McLean  3$ 

OR 

Mogilny Linden Bure   13$

Lidster Babych 2$

Miller 2$ 

OR 

Linden Kesler Bure  12$

Lidster Babych 2$ 

McLean 

As for the team I could make, Biestra pretty much already made it.    Playoffs matter.   Linden,  McLean, Kesler, Burrows,  Ronning, Bieksa, Smyl, Hamhuis  probably the best value in that regard.  QHs Babych ... that's the exact sort of player he'd excel with.   Excellent passer, and can do all the things QHs needs for a partner.   Diduck Babych, was also a ton of fun to watch.   QHs Babych would be magic. 

Do appreciate all the different teams.   It's actually not as easy at it looks.   Prime Bertuzzi was tough to leave out.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm going with

Bure $5 Pettersson $5 Williams $1

Hamhuis $2 Lumme $2

Miller $2

Miller was a pretty solid goalie for us, Hamhuis and Lumme would provide a good combination of puck transition and defensive coverage. Pettersson and Bure should be magic together and Williams proved that he could not only score, but beat the shit out of anyone who even thinks about trying to beat Miller!

Jay Baruchel Hockey GIF by CanFilmDay

This little exercise show me how so very lucky we are to have Hughes.  Hands down the best defenseman this team has ever had and he's still only 24!  And he's now our captain.  Odds are good that he stays here though his prime years. 

Enjoy it now canuck fans because we'll be lucky to ever have a player like him again!! (Willander has a chance but that's a long shot).

Okay to the exercise...

Burr-Linden-Bert $8

Hughes-Hamhuis $7

Miller $2

Linden I his prime... Fast, tough and smart... Best captain this franchise has every had.

Bert... My god, talk about beast mode.  Going to the net, or net front presents nobodies going to stop him.  Keep your head up defence because here comes #44!  (Just ask McGinnis!).

Burr... Can fit with anyone, best grinder we ever had.  Elite hockey sense... 

Hughes.... See above 

Hammy... Best rightside all-around D we've ever had (tanev just behind him).  Smart, good skater, highlight reel hip checks!

Miller.... Gritty goalie, elite effort, best bang for your buck here for goalies.

Center, Defense, Goaltending.

A wise man once said that in order to win, you need to have a franchise center, a franchise defenseman, and a franchise goalie.  

So......let's put this to the test?  

Henrik, Hughes, and Luongo.....but then I'd be at 15 already with only two points left to fill 3 spots.  So....Demko instead of Luongo puts me at 14.

xxx-Henrik--xx

Hughes-xxx

Demko

Williams-Henrik-Burrows  

Hughes-Salo

Demko

(not bad, but I don't think this line would be potent enough to be a threat offensively.......let's try again.  Slight downgrade at C + upgrade on Wing).

Burrows-Linden-Smyl

Hughes-Salo

Demko

[Linden, Smyl, and Demko probably wouldn't be considered franchise players but they are/were pretty darn close......and were very solid and important pieces to a team.  A voila.  We have a pretty balanced line-up here].

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Center, Defense, Goaltending.

A wise man once said that in order to win, you need to have a franchise center, a franchise defenseman, and a franchise goalie.  

So......let's put this to the test?  

Henrik, Hughes, and Luongo.....but then I'd be at 15 already with only two points left to fill 3 spots.  So....Demko instead of Luongo puts me at 14.

xxx-Henrik--xx

Hughes-xxx

Demko

Williams-Henrik-Burrows  

Hughes-Salo

Demko

(not bad, but I don't think this line would be potent enough to be a threat offensively.......let's try again.  Slight downgrade at C + upgrade on Wing).

Burrows-Linden-Smyl

Hughes-Salo

Demko

[Linden, Smyl, and Demko probably wouldn't be considered franchise players but they are/were pretty darn close......and were very solid and important pieces to a team.  A voila.  We have a pretty balanced line-up here].

Linden was considered a future HHOFer at Brocks age.   Food for thought.   For sure considered a franchise player - and why we got such a bounty for him.   What did Horvat just get us? 

Demko doesn't make a lot of sense.    Not sure how a Vezina finalist and playoff hero, is considered a tier below of a guy who's barely even matched Markstrom,  let alone Gary Smith or Broduer yet.   Yikes.   And i'm a big Demko fan but let's be real. 

Also feel Lumme isn't getting the love he deserves too.    PK/PP and scored a lot of goals for us.  He didn't crunch guys like Ohlund, or have a few fights like Jovo or a lot of fights like Bieksa.    But he was good.   A top pairing guy for us for a long time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi 9

Hughes-Beiksa 6

Miller 2

17 bucks. Arguably one of the greatest lines in Canucks history, the Canucks best defensemen talent wise, a tough as nails defensive guy to stand beside him, and a veteran goalie in the American hall of fame. 

Seems like a good lineup to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi 9

Hughes-Beiksa 6

Miller 2

17 bucks. Arguably one of the greatest lines in Canucks history, the Canucks best defensemen talent wise, a tough as nails defensive guy to stand beside him, and a veteran goalie in the American hall of fame. 

Seems like a good lineup to me.

Only thing is,  Miller was past his prime his couple years with us, not the same guy he was in Buffalo.  Still solid for sure.   But for sure money well spent.    You're right too, Naslund Morrison and Bertuzzi was one of the best lines we've ever had.    It's truly too bad the Sedins couldn't take the dead puck era level of abuse.    The lifeline could, that level of abuse had been around for a long time before the dead puck era.    If the Sedins peaked early, we'd of had a chance even with Cloutier in net.   

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

Only thing is,  Miller was past his prime his couple years with us, not the same guy he was in Buffalo.  Still solid for sure.   But for sure money well spent.    You're right too, Naslund Morrison and Bertuzzi was one of the best lines we've ever had.    It's truly too bad the Sedins couldn't take the dead puck era level of abuse.    The lifeline could.    If the Sedins peaked early, we'd of had a chance even with Cloutier in net.   

Miller was still decent for us. He seems the best bang for the buck out of the goalies. My priority was getting the WCE and Hughes together.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

Burrows-Kesler-Bure

Hughes-Salo

Miller

that was fun.

Salo would get injured after the first shift so you’d be down one man pretty quick…   ☺️

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Miller was still decent for us. He seems the best bang for the buck out of the goalies. My priority was getting the WCE and Hughes together.

Funny because for me we always had a good top four, it was the secondary scoring and playoff goaltending that always seemed lacking.   I don't think QHs would have lasted long back then.    Ohlund looked like a transformer,  but was just a bit above average sized,  Jovo seemed below average size considering the D's we had in 90's.    For sure the top line was lights out.   If we are looking at today then not sure who could handle prime Bertuzzi today.  Or Naslund for that matter.   I'm not as high on Miller as some seem to be, it seems like they are looking at Vezina Miller,  still good but not amazing either.  I'd still have him above Demko, but barely.    Cloutier actually had one very good regular season for us too.  7 shutouts.   And nobody in their right mind would spend a dollar on him.  

Edit:  As an aside, Sean Bean is one heck of an actor.     I don't mind what you're doing either.  Nice to see the WCE represented. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Salo would get injured after the first shift so you’d be down one man pretty quick…   ☺️

Salo was a frustrating player for me.  For one the younger generation kind of latched onto him because he could shoot the puck hard.   The other part was because he was a solid two-way guy, when he was back healthy the team always got a boost.    Damn you Salo!   He was a good defenseman.   But i'm not sure he's deserving of a 1$ spot over Lidster, Kearns or Babych, let alone Lanz or McCarthy who I was too young to remember much.   Other than they could get their points too.  Edler kind of got the bug too, so did Tanev who is a crazy addition even at one dollar.   Would take Bieksa ahead every single time.

Personally i'd have Tanev around the same area as Adrian Aucion and Hedican.   Know that won't be popular.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Linden was considered a future HHOFer at Brocks age.   Food for thought.   For sure considered a franchise player - and why we got such a bounty for him.   What did Horvat just get us? 

Demko doesn't make a lot of sense.    Not sure how a Vezina finalist and playoff hero, is considered a tier below of a guy who's barely even matched Markstrom,  let alone Gary Smith or Broduer yet.   Yikes.   And i'm a big Demko fan but let's be real. 

Also feel Lumme isn't getting the love he deserves too.    PK/PP and scored a lot of goals for us.  He didn't crunch guys like Ohlund, or have a few fights like Jovo or a lot of fights like Bieksa.    But he was good.   A top pairing guy for us for a long time. 

Bubble Demko was out of this world.  Vegas completely dominated the series against and Demko almost single-handedly won us that series.  In fact, he broke Vegas so much to the point where they were completely listless against Dallas in the next series (this was from Vegas' coach).  Demko was also tremendous for us during the 21/22 season after a slow start.  Though he was injured last season, the team was noticeably better with Demko in net (although granted, my grandmother's nut sack would have been a better goaltender than both Spencer Martin and Colin Delia).  

McLean was excellent for us from the early 90's to (1995?), but the whole Jeff Brown thing completely broke him.  He was never the same goalie after that.  In many respects, McLean was the Todd Bertuzzi of goaltending.  A few insanely great years that were ultimately outweighed by more mediocre ones.