Build your Canucks team with $17 bucks

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi 9

Hughes-Beiksa 6

Miller 2

17 bucks. Arguably one of the greatest lines in Canucks history, the Canucks best defensemen talent wise, a tough as nails defensive guy to stand beside him, and a veteran goalie in the American hall of fame. 

Seems like a good lineup to me.

Hughes with the WCE would have been insane!   

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

Okay, disregarding L shot / R shot:

Bure - Pettersson - Burrows  11

Salo - Beiksa  2

Demko  4

Heavy on the scoring and goaltending.  Counting on Salo staying healthy, and Bieksa is half for team chemistry and fan entertainment. Burr a steal for 1

Runner up:

Miller - Pettersson - Burrows  9

Hughes - Bieksa  6

R Miller  2

Probably more balanced than the first choices. As long as we get the players all in their prime R. Miller should be okay in net.

Edited by kilgore

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Demko is more expensive than McLean?  What a joke.

Linden - Ronning - Smyl

Hughes - Bieksa

McLean

And I've still got a dollar left over.

And I might put in Jovanovski for Hughes and have $3 left over.

It's actually fairly cheap to put together the lineup that will get it done in the playoffs.

And the best news...  Dave Babych, Geoff Courtnall, Patrik Sundstrom, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts and King Richard are apparently all free!

Smart.  On Canucks, you always have to leave room for injuries.

My $17.00 line up

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-A. Burrows

D. Hamuis- K. Bieksa

R. Miller

And for $1.00 Tiger Williams to throw over the boards after one of are guys are cheap shotted

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, J-23 said:

Line 1
Bure ($5) - Kesler ($3) - Burrows ($1)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Line 2

Bure ($5) - Ronning ($1) - Bertuzzi ($3)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Line 3

Bure ($5) - Ronning ($1) - Miller ($3)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Can’t pass up on the opportunity of having Bure and Hughes playing together. Ronning, Salo, Miller (x2), Burrows all steals on the chart.

We're talking Canucks Miller here right? 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Bubble Demko was out of this world.  Vegas completely dominated the series against and Demko almost single-handedly won us that series.  In fact, he broke Vegas so much to the point where they were completely listless against Dallas in the next series (this was from Vegas' coach).  Demko was also tremendous for us during the 21/22 season after a slow start.  Though he was injured last season, the team was noticeably better with Demko in net (although granted, my grandmother's nut sack would have been a better goaltender than both Spencer Martin and Colin Delia).  

McLean was excellent for us from the early 90's to (1995?), but the whole Jeff Brown thing completely broke him.  He was never the same goalie after that.  In many respects, McLean was the Todd Bertuzzi of goaltending.  A few insanely great years that were ultimately outweighed by more mediocre ones.  

Brian Boucher owns the consecutive shutout record.   Five without checking.   Remember back then PHI who'd was looking for the next Bernie Parent, almost found it in Ron Hextall, felt they'd let Parent go.   Didn't happen.   Also not that long ago a kid named Hammond showed up in OTT and went on a 23ish unbeaten streak.  Sorry, 3 games isn't a career.   Until Demko rattles off a couple 55-65 game seasons, gets a Vezina finalist vote and takes us to within a goal from

OT in game 7, he isn't sniffing McLeans jockstrap.   Game 7 CAL.  And Game one NYR.   There wouldn't be a Dallas series or a game 7 without McLean.  .922 sp that playoff against without apologizing to Vegas, much stiffer competition.   McLean also had some epic games in the regular season.    He fizzled out because he remained a stand-up goalie, and didn't follow the rest of the guys and start doing the butterfly as much as anything.    By the time he was Demko's age, compare. 

I've seen a lot of goalies (Brian Elliot, another guy) do what Demko did in 3 games.   Heck Luongo versus Turco was 7 games of that.   What Demko did was insane.   Do agree with that.   We haven't seen him do it since (3 games in a row anyways).  Brian Boucher had more career shutouts in his streak pretty sure.    Luongo deserves the top spot.  Then McLean.   Demko has the potential, but we shouldn't be doing this based on that.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Burrows   Pettersson   Bure

Hughes   Bieksa

Cloutier

I borrowed a dollar from my neighbour.  It was worth it to see Petey, Huggy and Pavel all playing together at the same time...

That was me as I used 16 to make my team.

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Brian Boucher owns the consecutive shutout record.   Five without checking.   Remember back then PHI who'd was looking for the next Bernie Parent, almost found it in Ron Hextall, felt they'd made it.   Didn't happen.   Also not that long ago a kid named Hammond showed up in OTT and went on a 23ish unbeaten streak.  Sorry, 3 games isn't a career.   Until Demko rattles off a couple 55-65 game seasons, gets a Vezina finalist vote and takes us to within a goal from

OT in game 7, he isn't sniffing McLeans jockstrap.   Game 7 CAL.  And Game one NYR.   There wouldn't be a Dallas series or a game 7 without McLean.  .922 sp that playoff against without apologizing to Vegas, much stiffer competition.   McLean also had some epic games in the regular season.    He fizzled out because he remained a stand-up goalie, and didn't follow the rest of the guys and start doing the butterfly as much as anything.    By the time he was Demko's age, compare. 

I've seen a lot of goalies (Brian Elliot, another guy) do what Demko did in 3 games.   Heck Luongo versus Turco was 7 games of that.   What Demko did was insane.   Do agree with that.   We haven't seen him do it since.   Brian Boucher had more career shutouts in his streak pretty sure.    Luongo deserves the top spot.  Then McLean.   Demko has the potential, but we shouldn't be doing this based on that.   

McLean deserves top spot.

Game 7 closest to the cup with 4 shutouts at the time tied the NHL record.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Brian Boucher owns the consecutive shutout record.   Five without checking.   Remember back then PHI who'd was looking for the next Bernie Parent, almost found it in Ron Hextall, felt they'd let Parent go.   Didn't happen.   Also not that long ago a kid named Hammond showed up in OTT and went on a 23ish unbeaten streak.  Sorry, 3 games isn't a career.   Until Demko rattles off a couple 55-65 game seasons, gets a Vezina finalist vote and takes us to within a goal from

I've seen a lot of goalies (Brian Elliot, another guy) do what Demko did in 3 games.   Heck Luongo versus Turco was 7 games of that.   What Demko did was insane.   Do agree with that.   We haven't seen him do it since (3 games in a row anyways).  Brian Boucher had more career shutouts in his streak pretty sure.    Luongo deserves the top spot.  Then McLean.   Demko has the potential, but we shouldn't be doing this based on that.   

Very good arguments.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the intention was of the creator of this game, but perhaps he/she intended it this way?  A player that costs more isn't necessarily a better player even though it is in most cases?  Furthermore, a better overall player (i.e. Edler over Salo) may not provide better bang for the buck? (i.e. Salo at $1 is better value than Edler at $4?).  I'm not sure.....

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Bubble Demko was out of this world.  Vegas completely dominated the series against and Demko almost single-handedly won us that series.  In fact, he broke Vegas so much to the point where they were completely listless against Dallas in the next series (this was from Vegas' coach).  Demko was also tremendous for us during the 21/22 season after a slow start.  Though he was injured last season, the team was noticeably better with Demko in net (although granted, my grandmother's nut sack would have been a better goaltender than both Spencer Martin and Colin Delia).  

McLean was excellent for us from the early 90's to (1995?), but the whole Jeff Brown thing completely broke him.  He was never the same goalie after that.  In many respects, McLean was the Todd Bertuzzi of goaltending.  A few insanely great years that were ultimately outweighed by more mediocre ones.  

McLean was a Vezina finalist in 1988-89.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Philly pulled off that near replacement of Parent back to back with Pelle Lindbergh and Ron Hextall.  Pretty crazy that a young Vezina winner died mid-career and Philly didn't even miss a beat.

Pelle certainly seemed en route to the Hall of Fame and I'd have Hextall in there myself.

Demko sure has gotten more mileage with the fans out of those three games than I've ever seen anyone get in Vancouver that I can recall.  It's like if Cowan the bra-barian was still touted as a potential Richard Trophy winner a few years down the road after his little scoring streak.  Or John Druce or Chris Kontos hailed as the future for years after their one gawdy playoff season.

I think Demko's a good goalie but it's still almost all potential or chickens before they've hatched.  Vegas series aside has he really separated himself that much from, say, Alex Auld c.2006?  Or Glen Hanlon.  Hanlon was voted 10th best goalie in the league around 1980 or so as a Canuck and then he was gone a year later.  Demko has one year as 7th or 8th best.  Hope he has some more in him but Canucks alumni Schneider and Raycroft among others show how quickly the bottom can fall out.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Salo was a frustrating player for me.  For one the younger generation kind of latched onto him because he could shoot the puck hard.   The other part was because he was a solid two-way guy, when he was back healthy the team always got a boost.    Damn you Salo!   He was a good defenseman.   But i'm not sure he's deserving of a 1$ spot over Lidster, Kearns or Babych, let alone Lanz or McCarthy who I was too young to remember much.   Other than they could get their points too.  Edler kind of got the bug too, so did Tanev who is a crazy addition even at one dollar.   Would take Bieksa ahead every single time.

Personally i'd have Tanev around the same area as Adrian Aucion and Hedican.   Know that won't be popular.  

I like Tanev but for me as well a lot of these options in the graphic I have below guys who aren't named and are now too forgotten to ever receive any substantial votes in this kind of thing...

Everyone you named plus Doug Halward, Jocelyn Guevremont (selected for the 1972 Canada Russia series while a Canuck), maybe Dale Tallon as well (set the NHL record as a Canuck for rookie points by a defenseman, breaking Bobby Orr's record and Guevremont would have done it himself the next year if Tallon hadn't just done it).

Aside from that...I would have to think about Diduck versus Tanev.  And maybe don't leave Jeff Brown at home with your wife but do consider him on your blueline for the playoffs for a dollar.

And Paul Reinhart.  He was the best and most consistent offensive performance from the blueline the Canucks have ever had before Hughes and it's still fairly close between him and Hughes at this point.  Basically a point a game guy both of his seasons here, even on the verge of retirement from constant pain and injury.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:37 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

image.thumb.png.c79028e118a9c9090b72c29ac6edd345.png

I'll be a bit unconventional and go with the following line-up:

Miller-Kesler-Bertuzzi

Jovanovski-Tanev

R.Miller

-To what extent can Kesler's superb defensive prowess compensate for Miller and Bertuzzi's defensive shortcomings?

-To what extent can Tanev's superb defensive savviness compensate for "Special Ed?"

-To what extent can Miller's playmaking abilities compensate for Kesler's lack of skill in this area?   

My gut says that all three of the above potential concerns would be solved........and you'd see a very dynamic, skilled, and physical element with these 5 men on the ice.  Jovanovski leading and joining the rush with Tanev saving his bum + Bertuzzi crashing the net and creating a physical force while Kesler back-checks and bails Bertuzzi out defensively.  Miller would be there sniping and/or playmaking and giving the offense just enough creativity.  Unlike most Canucks' line-ups, this is the type of line that can also physically dominate out there and really set the tone.  This would come in especially handy during the playoffs.  It's going to be tough for teams to batter this line on the forecheck and this line would also be superb at Face-offs with Kesler and Miller there.

Speaking of "the other Miller," while it's true that Ryan Miller was a little passed his prime when he got here, he was still a very solid goalie.  Not a superstar by any means (while with us), but he was worth his contract in its entirety.  Not a penny more.  Not a penny less.  Extremely good value at just $2.  

My other picks:

#2 (my actual "real" first choice but I wanted to be creative and so I went with the above)

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi

Hamhuis-Jovanovski

McLean

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hamhuis-Bieksa

McLean

#2 and #3 are likely better than my #1 but I enjoyed creating #1 since it "goes against the grain" a little bit (and also has a lot of untapped hidden potential imo).  

The "I officially have no life" edition.  

This is probably my 12th or 13th entry but what can I say......I love my Nucks and their next game isn't for a few days.  

Miller-Pettersson-Mogilny 

Lumme-Bieksa

R.Miller

As many have pointed out, R.Miller just might be the best 'bang for the bucks' as far as the Canucks goalies listed here.  While RM was passed his prime when he got here, he was still pretty solid.  Not a superstar by any means, but not a liability either.  He was paid 6 million and lived up to the contract....not a penny more not a penny less.

J.T. would provide a physical presence and face-off ability to the forward lines.  Petey and Mogilny are both highly skilled two way players that can thread the needle with passes and kill you offensively.  This is an excellent line.

Lumme is another "bang for the buck" player in this game and can carry the puck up the ice quite well.  Not a defensive liability either.  Bieksa can provide some added muscle on the back-end.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Miller was still decent for us. He seems the best bang for the buck out of the goalies. My priority was getting the WCE and Hughes together.

Miller in his Canuck years should be a $1 option if he is even in the poll.  Definitely not taking him for $2 when McLean is $3.  Buffalo Miller was flirting with the Hall of Fame.  Canucks Miller...he was competent, decent for sure.  But all of Hanlon, Brodeur, Gary Smith, Schneider and Markstrom were probably better and not among the options.  Not certain that Miller was better than Cesare Maniago (2x Canucks MVP in their lean 70s years) and a few others as well perhaps.  Just a respectable few years where we didn't really have to worry much about the guy in net.  Which of course is something to not be taken for granted post McLean.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

My bad.  I wasn't aware of this.

No worries.  The 1988-89 season and playoffs is one of the great years that has slipped under the waves of history for most.  Remembered perhaps for Linden's rookie year but little else.  Spectacular first round series against Calgary that went to 7th game OT.  Great season by Paul Reinhart on the blueline.  Our backup Steve Weeks was so good he got votes for the post-season All Star Team as well.

1975, 1982 and 1989 all get really overlooked nowadays generally speaking.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Very good arguments.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the intention was of the creator of this game, but perhaps he/she intended it this way?  A player that costs more isn't necessarily a better player even though it is in most cases?  Furthermore, a better overall player (i.e. Edler over Salo) may not provide better bang for the buck? (i.e. Salo at $1 is better value than Edler at $4?).  I'm not sure.....

It's not a bad system, in a way it's like an actual team, the stars/superstars  get the most money, often more than they are worth, because you need them to win.   A lot of fantasy pools work like this too.   It's all in good fun.   Salo was better than Edler,  you're right, suppose his injuries are considered.    It would have been even more interesting, if unlisted players were valued at .50cents.    Did a hockey pool for a couple decades that each player had a dollar value, unlisted ones were pool winners if you picked the right guys ... one year I picked Fedor Federov lol, didn't help.   And the best bang for the buck was found in the mid range...but we were given enough money we simply had to take the Crosby's or Thornton's or Jagr's.   This is set up in a similar way.   A lot of value in the 3$ row.   And some undervalued other row's too.     It's an interesting exercise, and enjoy the teams you've come up with.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 10/2/2023 at 2:59 AM, J-23 said:

Line 1
Bure ($5) - Kesler ($3) - Burrows ($1)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Line 2

Bure ($5) - Ronning ($1) - Bertuzzi ($3)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Line 3

Bure ($5) - Ronning ($1) - Miller ($3)

Hughes ($5) - Salo ($1)

Miller ($2)

Can’t pass up on the opportunity of having Bure and Hughes playing together. Ronning, Salo, Miller (x2), Burrows all steals on the chart.

Your third line is my favourite pick. Depending on what era, I'd swap Miller with Bertuzzi as well. Depends on what version of Miller and Bertuzzi you'd get lol. 

Edited by MikeyD