GDT/PGT l Preseason Game 6 l Friday, October 4 l Coilers (boo) @ Canucks (woo) l 7 PM l Sportsnet & 650

-dlc-

20 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

oh, you mean like Crosby?

Crosby is super duper superstitious. He was going to take 8.7 mil because it is his number. It has been his contract forever. You should hear some of the stories. Crazy superstitious

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

Crosby is super duper superstitious. He was going to take 8.7 mil because it is his number. It has been his contract forever. You should hear some of the stories. Crazy superstitious

imagine how good the Oil COULD be if McD signed for HIS number $9.7 ? that extra money would come in handy signing a....Swayman type of goalie

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If we had to buyout OEL, I don't see a world where Nurse gets traded. He has 3 years on his deal after this season. Easily one of the worst contracts in hockey.

just depends on what EDM is willing to sacrifice. They can’t afford a buy out as it would fractionally negate the purpose of making cap space so trade is their only option. I can see him being moved but it costing numerous quality picks. If that’s what McD thinks will help the club, it would be acted upon. 

5 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

When Crosby signed his initial 8.7 that was fair value. It quickly became a bargain, but it was fair for the time. 

Nothing beats the power of the dollar.

If Sid was in his prime now he would just sign for 12.87 or something like that 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And as a result their club has no depth. The wasted cap on two old guys instead of signing their young fast hungry players. Stupid. 

I do agree here. Foegel, McLeod, and Halloway up front were fast and hard to play against. Wore down opposing defenses and made the Oilers one of the fastest teams in the NHL

Now opposing teams will get a chance to regroup when McDavid and Draisatl are off the ice.

Their bottom 6 is terrible 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

just depends on what EDM is willing to sacrifice. They can’t afford a buy out as it would fractionally negate the purpose of making cap space so trade is their only option. I can see him being moved but it costing numerous quality picks. If that’s what McD thinks will help the club, it would be acted upon. 

I just think the ask would be so astronomical that it would do more harm than good. With so much term left, it's also just a wild thing to even contemplate. How much retention will make a team take the chance on him. Then you gotta find out if Edmonton would even want potentially 5 years of 3-4mil in dead cap on top of also losing at least two 1st rounders imo. They have no real prospects to fork over either. The best way to stay cap compliant is hitting with draft picks. They'll have no picks, no youngsters, 3+mil in dead cap from retention. That team will be picking rotten berries off the ground in Free Agency for years hoping McWhiner and Crysaitl can carry them.

Man do I love how dogshit their situation is. Hit with a generational talent only to have nothing around him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

When Crosby signed his initial 8.7 that was fair value. It quickly became a bargain, but it was fair for the time. 

Nothing beats the power of the dollar.

If Sid was in his prime now he would just sign for 12.87 or something like that 

I really wonder if the stories that I have heard are true. 

I mean one story I heard was after a night at a particular bar (not Roxy) he had a great game the next day. So, he returned to the bar 4 more times and copied every move and conversation with the people in the bar, including the DJ and even requested the same song at around the same time. 

He is super superstitious. 

13 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

imagine how good the Oil COULD be if McD signed for HIS number $9.7 ? that extra money would come in handy signing a....Swayman type of goalie

Sure. I have always thought that players who make lots on endorsements should be willing to take team discounts to help their team. Unfortunately, we live in a me first world. 

22 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

This reads like a Trump post. I'm going to say it's intentionally hilarious and give a 10/10

The good:

Silovs looks amazing and I love Forbort getting his licks in. Beat those losers to death with the hitting and Skinner is just hilariously bad at hockey. Most of the guys were rock solid and I especially like DeBrusk and Sprong. 

The bad:

I’m a little worried about our breakouts, they seemed very disjointed and not very well executed. I also thought we dumped the puck in too much only for it to get brought right back out. The Miller line wasn’t good tonight and I think Räty looked a little lost at times. The pass from Hoglander was too far ahead of him, but you would want him to settle it and get a shot on net instead of taking a Hail Mary shot. 

The ugly: 

The ice tonight sucked. Guys were tripping and falling, nobody could corral the puck, it was terrible. I hope they fix that because it was bad last year, but it wasn’t that bad…

16 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I just think the ask would be so astronomical that it would do more harm than good. With so much term left, it's also just a wild thing to even contemplate. How much retention will make a team take the chance on him. Then you gotta find out if Edmonton would even want potentially 5 years of 3-4mil in dead cap on top of also losing at least two 1st rounders imo. They have no real prospects to fork over either. The best way to stay cap compliant is hitting with draft picks. They'll have no picks, no youngsters, 3+mil in dead cap from retention. That team will be picking rotten berries off the ground in Free Agency for years hoping McWhiner and Crysaitl can carry them.

Man do I love how dogshit their situation is. Hit with a generational talent only to have nothing around him.

here’s a look at what the buyout would be if they had done so this offseason:

https://puckpedia.com/player/darnell-nurse/buyout?s=2024-2025