GDT/PGT l Preseason Game 6 l Friday, October 4 l Coilers (boo) @ Canucks (woo) l 7 PM l Sportsnet & 650

-dlc-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That will probably be their practice facility after it gets a good injection of cash for upgrades. 

Tough go to get that done! As long as there are upgrades, that should be good. It makes a difference. Have to keep pace. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Tough go to get that done! As long as there are upgrades, that should be good. It makes a difference. Have to keep pace. 

I think they took a hard look at SFU but location wise UBC just makes sense if they can’t get anything downtown.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think they took a hard look at SFU but location wise UBC just makes sense if they can’t get anything downtown.

Yeah, downtown is out of the question, imo. I thought they'd land at the Richmond Oval and adapt from that. 

• Cheers 1

Headlines from my point of view:

1. Fairly even game with a slight statistical edge to the Oilers, who won the "expected goals" battle. But the Canucks won on actual goals. The difference was Silovs.

2. Silovs was excellent. The one goal that scored was from a prime shooting area and the shooter had time and space (kind of the mirror image of Soucy's goal). As is often repeated, "most nights the team with the better goalie wins". That was true tonight. Would love to get Demmer back but feeling pretty good about the Silovs/Lankinen combo.

3. There is some injury-related uncertainty with Suter's status unclear and the news that Garland "tweaked something". Assuming that at least one more cut needs to be made, many people thought that Bains would be the guy to go. But Bains had other ideas and was very visible tonight. He made three nice plays leading to an assist on the first goal and scored a very nice PP goal. He was named second star, which was a stretch, but he did have a good game and will be hard to cut.

4. I have been high on Raty and many people thought he was a assured of a spot on the roster to start the season. But he had a couple conspicuously bad plays tonight, especially on the Oiler goal as he vacated the center of the ice after the losing the D-zone face-off, allowing Bouchard to just coast into a prime shooting position in the slot with time and space. He obviously has to make a play on Bouchard. Maybe he was confused about the assignments.  His Corsi numbers were good (12 to 8 at even strength) and was among the best Canucks in on-ice expected goal differential but he had relatively easy minutes and probably did not help his cause tonight.

5. The PK was good. Forbert was particularly good on the PK. Unfortunately he kind of treats the puck like a hand grenade. That works on the PK but it limits his offensive support.

6. Hughes looked great. Petey's line had an empty net goal and a very nice goal on a great pass from Petey to Soucy. But, overall, Petey's line was only ok. The Miller line had some nice chances, including Boeser's crossbar. 

Good preseason overall.

• Cheers 2