(Trade) Canucks trade Poolman

53 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I'll take a stab at it.

If I'm correct Col signed Brannstrom on July 2 for 900k as he was let go by his former team for not being qualified.

They brought him into camp but he didn't look good enough.  So they could send him down, but that costs them 900k real cash  and it takes a contract spot out of their 50.

So instead they trade for Poolman's LTIR at a cost of 2M and get off Brannstrom's contract of 900k and pick up a 4th round pick for that cost. (Net cost of 1.1M cash). And Poolman's contract doesn't count against the 50. And they might already be heading into LTIR with Landeskog or Nichushkin, so if that happens, Poolman's LTIR doesn't bother them.

Just my guess.

This is 100% correct. I also posted this exact scenario earlier as well. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

I'll take a stab at it.

If I'm correct Col signed Brannstrom on July 2 for 900k as he was let go by his former team for not being qualified.

They brought him into camp but he didn't look good enough.  So they could send him down, but that costs them 900k real cash  and it takes a contract spot out of their 50.

So instead they trade for Poolman's LTIR at a cost of 2M and get off Brannstrom's contract of 900k and pick up a 4th round pick for that cost. (Net cost of 1.1M cash). And Poolman's contract doesn't count against the 50. And they might already be heading into LTIR with Landeskog or Nichushkin, so if that happens, Poolman's LTIR doesn't bother them.

Just my guess.

Poolman’s contract is almost certainly paid by insurance so it saves them a bunch of real dollars.

As you said, they will be in LTIR so it doesn’t matter how far into LTIR you are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

With Allvin you never know if there's something else brewing...but as we stand now there is no need to use LTIR.

Once we cut our roster down to 23 healthy players (from the 24 currently at training camp), we will be below the cap limit with both Joshua and Demko on IR (not using LTIR) 

It is how close to the cap we can get without putting guys on LTIR that matters at this point.  You only get LTIR relief for as much as replacing that salary would put you over the cap.  Like if we were $2 million under and put Demko on LTIR you only get $3 million in cap overage.  That number is set and locked in when you put someone on LTIR.

We could have a 23 man roster and be right at the cap; then put our injured players on LTIR to maximize the relief; then run with a 21-22 man roster which would allow us to accrue cap space.

It doesn’t matter much if they think Demko won’t be out long term… but if this keeps lingering they want to absolutely maximize his LTIR to have that money available later in the season to fill holes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Poolman’s contract is almost certainly paid by insurance so it saves them a bunch of real dollars.

As you said, they will be in LTIR so it doesn’t matter how far into LTIR you are.

Are you sure about it being covered by insurance? Where did you read that? Source?

He has chronic migraines.  This is debilitating for his life let alone playing hockey.  But it is not necessarily caused by a hockey injury and may not be insurable.

If you have a source please post it.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

How the management able to put the team under the cap is unreal, I thought the team will have to deal with this issue forever especially after the OEL's buyout.

And they do it through smart trades unlike Vegas that has the league bail them out.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

How the management able to put the team under the cap is unreal, I thought the team will have to deal with this issue forever especially after the OEL's buyout.

Allvin and his team are a massive improvement on the past regime. Brilliant job!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Are you sure about it being covered by insurance? Where did you read that? Source?

He has chronic migraines.  This is debilitating for his life let alone playing hockey.  But it is not necessarily caused by a hockey injury and may not be insurable.

If you have a source please post it.

Anywhere I've read or heard was that the contract was not insured.  It has been mentioned on Canucks talk that it wasn't insured.  Reading a Canuck's Army article from the summer, it sounds like how much a contract is insured for generally isn't public knowledge.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/worth-canucks-while-trade-tucker-poolman-contract-summer

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think guys need to clear waivers coming up anymore. Did we even give him an nhl contract? I think he’s only got an AHL deal with Abby. 

That's true, but if we don't sign him and put him through waivers to send him to Abby now, then we will have to put him through waivers if we sign him and call him up later.  It's the same as when teams sign free agents who were playing in Europe late in the season, then put them on their NHL rosters, they have to clear waivers first.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Feels like there is something else in the plan.

I have to sit down with the cap and see what shenanigans are afoot.

I am so used to being in LTIR that I forget how hand the rules work.

Did we intentionally keep some of Poolman’s contract so that we can get to right at the cap on opening night and then maximize LTIR when we put Demko on there?  It is all insurance money anyways, so no reason not to trade the whole contract.

I have long said that after the 3rd round, picks are effectively meaningless and mainly

good for currency in trades.  The odds of a player making it are remote and those picks still seem to have some value in trades.

I think the Canucks kept 500k because Col would have been over max Cap if they took it all right now Col is 28k below cap. They put Poolman and Landeskrog on LTIR and will have 9 million in cap to play with. If anything Col has something cooking up and Van got cap space. Erik was sent down because his cap hit is 900k well others on defence have smaller cap hits.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I love that management was able to move the Poolman contract, and getting a younger depth defenseman is good too. Tidy bit of business. 

What I don’t understand is what’s in it for Colorado? They get a 4th round pick to eat $2.5M in cap. Aren’t they a cap team like the Canucks trying to win? Seems like a strange move on their part.

I was expecting a cap floor team to take on Poolman’s contract. 

Col took 2 million and not 2.5 mill. it brought them 28k below to max cap. When Poolman and Landeskog get placed on LTIR they will have just under 9 million to work with. Before Poolman trade they were going to fall shorter then that to max cap and have less then 7 million to play with. Col cant accrue cap space in LTIR. But now they can replace up to 9 million instead of just below 7 million. If they are contenders at the trade deadline they will have cap space to make trades. 

Edited by Tocchet.A.Hockey.God
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

Col took 2 million and not 2.5 mill. it brought them 28k below to max cap. When Poolman and Landeskog get placed on LTIR they will have just under 9 million to work with. Before Poolman trade they were going to fall shorter then that to max cap and have less then 7 million to play with. Col cant accrue cap space in LTIR. But now they can replace up to 9 million instead of just below 7 million. If they are contenders at the trade deadline they will have cap space to make trades. 

Isn’t Landeskog supposed to be back this season?

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t Landeskog supposed to be back this season?

That's what they say but there is no way Col makes this trade unless they know they are in LTIR for the Season.  There is another possibility Landeskog might be back but Lehkonen is also still injured. So maybe he is out for the season. The Problem is GMs don't always give fans the full truth 

Edited by Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

Ive been a big Branstrom fan for a long time. I watched him live during the World Jr Hockey tournament in Victoria. Him and Hughes were the best players on the ice at that time. His ability to drive the play back then was beautiful.  Unfortunately he suffered some bad concussions and has struggled to find a way to produce in the NHL. At 25 he still has time to figure out how to be productive. Maybe just pairing him with a big guy like Desjarnais or Myers is whats needed to help him clear the crease. I like this move A because I wanted Poolman off the team and B because it has the potential to fill a spot that we needed for very little risk. Not to mention ive been a fan of his since jr. If he copies Quinn Hughes on how to play as a small guy he could find success. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Difference is Brannstrom has already covered that job for a couple years and done a decent job.    His skill set is carrying the puck out and crips outlet passes.    Something that probably will be useful with Desharnais around.     Teams need balance, and we just added a younger guy to work with our coaching staff, no he's not top four but he's a legit NHL third pairing guy too.   Has a good pedigree too.    Not bad.  

This right here! 

I’ve watched a fair bit of Brannstrom in both the NHL and the world juniors (he was lights out at the 2019 World Juniors) and this kid is very dynamic. Solid outlet passes and a great skater.

I was actually really hoping we would sign him in the offseason as a depth piece (IMO he’s a good bottom pairing/7th defenseman. We don’t have many natural puck movers on our backend, so he’s a nice contingency in case of injuries. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Provost said:

It is how close to the cap we can get without putting guys on LTIR that matters at this point.  You only get LTIR relief for as much as replacing that salary would put you over the cap.  Like if we were $2 million under and put Demko on LTIR you only get $3 million in cap overage.  That number is set and locked in when you put someone on LTIR.

We could have a 23 man roster and be right at the cap; then put our injured players on LTIR to maximize the relief; then run with a 21-22 man roster which would allow us to accrue cap space.

It doesn’t matter much if they think Demko won’t be out long term… but if this keeps lingering they want to absolutely maximize his LTIR to have that money available later in the season to fill holes.

You can't accrue cap space while being in LTIR

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nergish said:

I mean it’s sad, really.

Concussions are brutal, one of the most unfortunate symptoms of contact sports. 
Ferland at his best would have helped this team big time, and Poolman had the size and acumen to be an NHL regular. 

Gotta say though, it’s almost bizarre to no longer have any problem contracts. Our biggest thorn is the OEL buyout, and even that is manageable.

Concussions do blow.  

As for problem contracts, at this point the only one that's could get a lot of heat is EP.    And wouldn't say OEL isn't problematic this year so much, but we will have a challenge during its peak years, 2-3% of the cap is significant, that's a top four defenseman upgrade or another quality center upgrade.    Still he's shaved so much off along the edges it's workable.   

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

You can't accrue cap space while being in LTIR

This is true but believe where @Provost was going with this is there could be a time using LTIR will benefit the team as well.   Doesn't that accrued cap space stay, even once we put someone on the LTIR, as long as the LTIR is also below the cap?    I'm a little confused on the minutiae of this part of the CBA.   One thing the team could do as well is plan to have anyone with a nagging injury on the LTIR late in the year, trade for an equal cap space, and have them "miraculously" recover early in round one.   Worked for Vegas, worked for TB.   Demko might be a good candidate for this 😂.    Same with EP, if he's got "tendinitis", trade for a couple guys and then ice a 110 million payroll come playoff time between the two (accruing and LTIR).  

Anyways, joking aside (kind of),  the teams in very good shape forward depth wise.   Just needs a 3C and a 4-5 type like Soucy or Zadarov at some point.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1