(Trade) Canucks trade Poolman

5 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

No big loss if he gets claimed. His inclusion was more to make the cap work on Colorado's end. I highly doubt he sees any nhl action for the Canucks either way. 

Exactly.

Best case scenario sees him go to Abby and try and rebuild his game. He’s a long shot project at this point but worth a shot.

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Best case scenario sees him go to Abby and try and rebuild his game. He’s a long shot project at this point but worth a shot.

Brannstrom put up 18pts in 74games (and had the best +/- of any dman) while playing 16:20 in 2022/2023 and 20pts in 76games (2nd best +/- of any dman) while playing 16:35 in 2023/2024.  That would have ranked him as #3/#4 on the Canucks.  What about his game needs rebuilding?  He is a somewhat undersized smooth skating offensively minded dman who has the ability to run a PP2.

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

Brannstrom put up 18pts in 74games (and had the best +/- of any dman) while playing 16:20 in 2022/2023 and 20pts in 76games (2nd best +/- of any dman) while playing 16:35 in 2023/2024.  That would have ranked him as #3/#4 on the Canucks.  What about his game needs rebuilding?  He is a somewhat undersized smooth skating offensively minded dman who has the ability to run a PP2.

If he's so good whys every team just giving him away?

He plays sheltered minutes thats why he has favourable +/-. He can't handle his own zone yet. And if coach had to shelter you than your offensive skill better be top notch. At least sprong is top 10 in NHL in p/60 so of course you shelter him but Bramstrom?

He's a project

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, bh90 said:

He plays sheltered minutes thats why he has favourable +/-. He can't handle his own zone yet. And if coach had to shelter you than your offensive skill better be top notch. At least sprong is top 10 in NHL in p/60 so of course you shelter him but Bramstrom?

He's a project

He was the centre piece of the Mark Stone trade for Ottawa so they obviously thought he had significant upside.  He was then non-tendered by Ottawa as he made $2m in 2023/2024 and they had a glut of left sided offensively minded dman; he wasnt going to bypass Chabot or Sanderson.

I never implied he was some form of saviour, I simply said he has been more than serviceable in the role he is best suited to play and didn't understand what part of his game needs to be rebuilt.  The following quote makes a decent argument for me "Over the last two seasons, Brännström has been collecting points at a higher rate than both Sanderson and Chabot at 5v5 – despite playing far less with the team's top players."

Personally I think he would add more value to a bottom pairing, playing those sheltered minutes you suggest, while serving as a PP2 than the current options on the roster, while making $900k.  Forbort brings nothing except size and a $1.5m cap hit.

Edited by fanofvan
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, bh90 said:

He's a project

He is absolutely a project. At this point moving Poolmans co tract and being cap compliant to start the season is the worth it. If we got nothing back in return or end up losing Bran to waivers I'm still thrilled.

If Bran can even fill a roster spot in Abby then it's all house money!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fanofvan said:

He was the centre piece of the Mark Stone trade for Ottawa so they obviously thought he had significant upside.  He was then non-tendered by Ottawa as he made $2m in 2023/2024 and they had a glut of left sided offensively minded dman; he wasnt going to bypass Chabot or Sanderson.

I never implied he was some form of saviour, I simply said he has been more than serviceable in the role he is best suited to play and didn't understand what part of his game needs to be rebuilt.  The following quote makes a decent argument for me "Over the last two seasons, Brännström has been collecting points at a higher rate than both Sanderson and Chabot at 5v5 – despite playing far less with the team's top players."

Personally I think he would add more value to a bottom pairing, playing those sheltered minutes you suggest, while serving as a PP2 than the current options on the roster, while making $900k.  Forbort brings nothing except size and a $1.5m cap hit.

I tend to agree, I still feel like +/- has more value than everyone else believes, and I'm looking at a young Dman playing 16+ minutes a night over the past couple seasons on a team with only about 25% of their players in the + category.

I'm not going to cry if some other team picks him up, but this player isn't just a throwaway piece to make numbers work - it feels like some amount of actual value (with potential for increased value if he improves).

11 minutes ago, nzan said:

I tend to agree, I still feel like +/- has more value than everyone else believes, and I'm looking at a young Dman playing 16+ minutes a night over the past couple seasons on a team with only about 25% of their players in the + category.

I'm not going to cry if some other team picks him up, but this player isn't just a throwaway piece to make numbers work - it feels like some amount of actual value (with potential for increased value if he improves).

I look at this in a similar way and he provides an element of puck moving d in case one of the puck movers ends up injured.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Well I mean clearly Colorado wasn’t impressed. I’m guessing next stop was waivers for him if we didn’t trade for him.

At 25 that’s not a great place to be for a former 15th overall pick. I would imagine he had much higher aspirations for his career. Those stats aren’t exactly sparkling either. There’s lots of D men that can put up those numbers while bringing other aspects.

So like Sprong he has to figure a way to improve his overall game so that coaches trust him and are willing to use him as an every day defenseman. It’s one thing to do it in Ottawa on a rebuilding team when expectations are low. It’s another to do it on a playoff team.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well I mean clearly Colorado wasn’t impressed. I’m guessing next stop was waivers for him if we didn’t trade for him.

At 25 that’s not a great place to be for a former 15th overall pick. I would imagine he had much higher aspirations for his career. Those stats aren’t exactly sparkling either. There’s lots of D men that can put up those numbers while bringing other aspects.

So like Sprong he has to figure a way to improve his overall game so that coaches trust him and are willing to use him as an every day defenseman. It’s one thing to do it in Ottawa on a rebuilding team when expectations are low. It’s another to do it on a playoff team.

I see Brannstrom as a "nice to have" if he clears waivers. He does fill a bit of an organizational need with puck moving ability, but I agree that he doesn't seem to have figured out how to earn the trust needed for an NHL regular. My guess is the Canucks would be fine if Brannstrom was claimed and if Kudryavtsev would have more opportunity to develop in Abbotsford (if that's where he ends up).

The big win is ultimately the Canucks having a significant amount of cap space that could enable them to be big players at the TDL.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is true but believe where @Provost was going with this is there could be a time using LTIR will benefit the team as well.   Doesn't that accrued cap space stay, even once we put someone on the LTIR, as long as the LTIR is also below the cap?   

Yes any accrued cap space stays 

With Alvin already in mid season form, I wonder who his targets are as the season progresses?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I read we could fit a 4m cap player by December or an 8m cap player by trade deadline.  

That means we could (in theory) land someone to anchor the 2nd d pair or even play the right side next to Hughes.

Fine trade. The chances of Brannstrom solidifying a starting spot on this team with everyone healthy is slim. But it'll be a good boost for Abby, and gives us some depth with a guy who actually DOES have some pretty decent skill. But unless he cleans up his 200ft game, I can't see Tocchet willingly playing him unless injury necessitates it. 

In the end though, we move on from most of Poolman's contract AND bury Brannstrom's in Abby, so it was a solid move all around. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

With Alvin already in mid season form, I wonder who his targets are as the season progresses?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I read we could fit a 4m cap player by December or an 8m cap player by trade deadline.  

That means we could (in theory) land someone to anchor the 2nd d pair or even play the right side next to Hughes.

Hopefully, Andersson 

5 hours ago, fanofvan said:

In a league that prizes defencemen, especially young defencemen, he landed a 900 k contract only to be basically given away for free. 

At a certain point you have to trust the collective scouting departments of the best league in the world.  He’s 100% a project who needs to iron out some issues. At this point it’s unlikely he’s ahead of Wolanin or Friedman playing his off hand.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

You can't accrue cap space while being in LTIR

re-read the post.  It isn’t saying we would be in LTIR.

It was locking in the amount of LTIR relief we could get by putting Demko on it.  It we were right at the cap and put Demko on LTIR we get the ability to go over the cap by his whole salary and that is locked in until he gets back.  You don’t need to use it until you want to, but you preserve the ability at that amount.

We do that and then drop a player or two off the roster and would then be under the cap by a million or two and can accrue cap

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Are you sure about it being covered by insurance? Where did you read that? Source?

He has chronic migraines.  This is debilitating for his life let alone playing hockey.  But it is not necessarily caused by a hockey injury and may not be insurable.

If you have a source please post it.

They don’t publicly put out how much of each contract is covered by insurance.  

There is no reason for Colorado to do this unless it was to save real dollars though.

They didn’t want to pay a prospect $900k in the minors, so why take on a bunch more real dollars just to trade away a decent former 1st round prospect for a 4th round lottery ticket.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Brannstrom sucks. AHLer.