(Trade) Canucks trade Poolman

16 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I see the upside. Much like Myers they have long sticks. So they can disrupt a rush before it even starts. The downside is, if they poke and miss. Well, Silovs and Demko are going to have to stand tall. Another issue is we are really, REALLY hinging all our blueline puck moving hopes on 2 players who play on the same pair. So we have Soucy/Myers and Forbort/Desharnais as 2 pairings, just really limits offence from the defence, at least imo. We'll see, I think we're pivoting to a much heavier defensive style. So we might see fewer 90+ point players but a much tighter defensive team.

Myers can move the puck up the ice quite effectively actually.  I wouldn't say that Myers/Soucy is strictly a defensive pairing.  Both can move the puck up the ice and Myers alot of times ends up in the offensive zone stranded, which is why he got the name "Chaos Giraffe".  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 2

What a great day it is to get rid of a guy who may never play again and get another D that looks like he might just break out this season and a 4th that usually don't make the NHL.

Guess we'll see if he gets put in right away or take a week or so to learn what this team does and what's expected of him.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko has been put on IR according to PuckPedia.  He may not be back for awhile...

I figured this was what convinced Lankinen to sign with us. They’ve probably known for awhile that they were going to have to slow play it and put him on IR.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How long must a guy be out to be on IR? 

7 days minimum.  Both Demko and Joshua are going to be on IR to start the season...

A player may be placed on injured reserve if he is unable to participate due to illness or injury, provided that the player had passed the club's initial physical examination at the start of the season. To qualify for the IR due to injury, that injury must be sufficient (in the opinion of the team's medical staff) to render the player unable to participate for the seven days following that injury. Once placed on IR, the team may then replace the player on their roster. The player on IR may not return to active play for seven days, although they may participate in non-competitive events such as practice, meetings, etc.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

7 days minimum.  Both Demko and Joshua are going to be on IR to start the season...

A player may be placed on injured reserve if he is unable to participate due to illness or injury, provided that the player had passed the club's initial physical examination at the start of the season. To qualify for the IR due to injury, that injury must be sufficient (in the opinion of the team's medical staff) to render the player unable to participate for the seven days following that injury. Once placed on IR, the team may then replace the player on their roster. The player on IR may not return to active play for seven days, although they may participate in non-competitive events such as practice, meetings, etc.

Maybe Demko was at the Roxy to much this off season lol

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

What a great day it is to get rid of a guy who may never play again and get another D that looks like he might just break out this season and a 4th that usually don't make the NHL.

Guess we'll see if he gets put in right away or take a week or so to learn what this team does and what's expected of him.

Brannstrom is already on waivers.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I figured this was what convinced Lankinen to sign with us. They’ve probably known for awhile that they were going to have to slow play it and put him on IR.

Demko hasn't played any games in the preseason.  Silvos is going to be our starter from game 1.  I mean, if he is lights out then there is no reason to rush Demko.  Also, that injury to Demko is pretty unique, he may not even know how long he will be out.  He has to get used to making new movements so as not to aggravate the injury.  He basically has to learn how to play with it.  Might change his game a bit.  Who knows.  Will he ever be the same?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko hasn't played any games in the preseason.  Silvos is going to be our starter from game 1.  I mean, if he is lights out then there is no reason to rush Demko.  Also, that injury to Demko is pretty unique, he may not even know how long he will be out.  He has to get used to making new movements so as not to aggravate the injury.  He basically has to learn how to play with it.  Might change his game a bit.  Who knows.  Will he ever be the same?

Yeah it’s sad to see but from all the uncertainty about it I can say I’d be scared to give him term on his next contract.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Lankinen signed because this is was his only opportunity to play in the nhl this season imo 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Canucklehead44 said:

When Brannstrom was having issues signing I thought we should move Podz for him and was kinda shocked he went to free agency. We kind of indirectly traded Podz for him (Podz for 4th, 4th for Brannstrom). 

Ottawa fans seemed to like his game. He didn’t break out like they hoped but a really solid puck mover who was smart defensively. It looks his biggest issue is he is doing the right things but it’s not showing up on the scoreboard (like Podz)

Very happy with this deal 

IMG_3873.jpeg

I have read that he’s not a great skater. His NHL edge stats also show him as mediocre. But that is really mostly speed based, so I wonder if he has decent edge work. But again, it does seem to be a knock on him

Even that one highlight posted earlier in the thread where he kind of went end to end, it’s not like he was really skating miles. It was more of a defensive breakdown than anything he did particularly well. Obviously a beautiful shot and still a great play.

I think he’ll be a nice call up for when we need a puck moving D, like if Hughes is hurt.

But Juulsen and Friedman will be the priority if any of Soucy, Myers, Forbort, or Desharnais get injured

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I think a team claims Brannstrom, hopefully not but I could see a team taking a chance for his PP skill set alone and stash on a bottom pair 

Means they would likely need to waive someone who is already penciled in. Not saying it won't happen, but he'd have to be an upgrade for a team on their current lineup. 

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Brannstrom was put on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the AHL 

1 minute ago, The Brock Star said:

When Brannstrom clears and goes down, this means that Bains and Raty both can remain with the big squad, and still keeps us under the cap!

With Suter out would we keep 2 of Raty, Aman, Bains? 

22 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

So where does this put us with the cap???

We have 2 players on IR and their salaries count against the cap.  So we have around $400k in cap space right now.  Once Joshua and Demko come back, we will have just over $2 million in cap space...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have 2 players on IR and their salaries count against the cap.  So we have around $400k in cap space right now.  Once Joshua and Demko come back, we will have just over $2 million in cap space...

Looks good then to start the season and have cap room .

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Means they would likely need to waive someone who is already penciled in. Not saying it won't happen, but he'd have to be an upgrade for a team on their current lineup. 

I get that, both Friedman and Juulsen have cleared before.

I'd want to protect the new acquisition before putting him on straight waivers.

unless team has no desire for Erik and hopes a bottom feeder takes a chance and plucks him tomorrow.

Canucks lack offensive minded D. Hughes then well below that is Hronek(wish he was on his own pair for that $/term)

Soucy Myers Forbort Desharnais are not offensive D.

Soucy Myers will get exposed big time if that’s our 2nd pair in playoffs imo.

i would’ve waived Juulsen and kept Brannstrom practicing with NHLcoaches in particular Gonchar.

• Cheers 2