(Trade) Canucks trade Poolman

51 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

When Brannstrom clears and goes down, this means that Bains and Raty both can remain with the big squad, and still keeps us under the cap!

Yes and no.

Currently there are 15F, 8D and 3G in camp. This includes Joshua and Demko on IR.

So in terms of healthy players we have 14F, 8D and 2G.

That's 24 healthy players + 2 on IR with a total cap hit of $88.38m.

We need to cut it back to a roster of 23 healthy players and less than $88m cap limit.

So we gotta send 1 player down to the AHL. Both Raty and Bains are waiver exempt. Aman, Friedman, Juulsen would have to clear waivers.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

I’m still pissed we had to take talon and missed on Perrault. I’m old. 

We used to go to those early games just to see the stars on other teams. Perrault was a phnom. Big, fast, incredibly skilled. For the younger posters, Perrault was very much like McDavid, minus the baby whining and teeth. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, RedRover said:

i like the move, bit of a gamble x2...or x3 depending how you look at it.

What’s the gamble? We moved dead capspace that’s desperately needed for a 4th rounder and got a young puck moving D as a bonus. Serious question, what is it that was gambled? The 4th?

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I see the upside. Much like Myers they have long sticks. So they can disrupt a rush before it even starts. The downside is, if they poke and miss. Well, Silovs and Demko are going to have to stand tall. Another issue is we are really, REALLY hinging all our blueline puck moving hopes on 2 players who play on the same pair. So we have Soucy/Myers and Forbort/Desharnais as 2 pairings, just really limits offence from the defence, at least imo. We'll see, I think we're pivoting to a much heavier defensive style. So we might see fewer 90+ point players but a much tighter defensive team.

Tochett and management seem to keep mentioning splitting Hughes/Hronek up...

I actually wonder if we potentially see Desharnais tried in a "Schenn-like" role with Hughes. Then run Soucy-Hronek and Forbort-Myers as pairs 2A and 2B. Then throw Hughes-Hronek out situationally.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tochett and management seem to keep mentioning splitting Hughes/Hronek up...

I actually wonder if we potentially see Desharnais tried in a "Schenn-like" role with Hughes. Then run Soucy-Hronek and Forbort-Myers as pairs 2A and 2B. Then throw Hughes-Hronek out situationally.

This would be ideal. Not sure how good Desharnais will be alongside Huggy, but worth trying at the very least. Hronek could and should man his own pair.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Feels like there is something else in the plan.

I have to sit down with the cap and see what shenanigans are afoot.

I am so used to being in LTIR that I forget how hand the rules work.

Did we intentionally keep some of Poolman’s contract so that we can get to right at the cap on opening night and then maximize LTIR when we put Demko on there?  It is all insurance money anyways, so no reason not to trade the whole contract.

I have long said that after the 3rd round, picks are effectively meaningless and mainly

good for currency in trades.  The odds of a player making it are remote and those picks still seem to have some value in trades.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes and no.

Currently there are 15F, 8D and 3G in camp. This includes Joshua and Demko on IR.

So in terms of healthy players we have 14F, 8D and 2G.

That's 24 healthy players + 2 on IR with a total cap hit of $88.38m.

We need to cut it back to a roster of 23 healthy players and less than $88m cap limit.

So we gotta send 1 player down to the AHL. Both Raty and Bains are waiver exempt. Aman, Friedman, Juulsen would have to clear waivers.

I think Raty will be sent down if Suter is ready to go. Bains will be playing to start at least until Joshua is back. Kind of hoping Brannstrom clears. Would be awesome depth to have in case of injuries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do we want Patera back? 

Vet AHL. 
Anticipate that Demko’s injury may be nagging and a lot of the time we have Silovs and Lankinen in the NHL.
That leaves Abby with a very you pairing of Tolipoli and Young.  Very young pairing. 
Also we are currently one injury away from a NHL pairing of Silovs and Tolipoli. Very little NHL experience outside of Demko and Lankinen. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Feels like there is something else in the plan.

I have to sit down with the cap and see what shenanigans are afoot.

I am so used to being in LTIR that I forget how hand the rules work.

Did we intentionally keep some of Poolman’s contract so that we can get to right at the cap on opening night and then maximize LTIR when we put Demko on there?  It is all insurance money anyways, so no reason not to trade the whole contract.

I have long said that after the 3rd round, picks are effectively meaningless and mainly

good for currency in trades.  The odds of a player making it are remote and those picks still seem to have some value in trades.

With Allvin you never know if there's something else brewing...but as we stand now there is no need to use LTIR.

Once we cut our roster down to 23 healthy players (from the 24 currently at training camp), we will be below the cap limit with both Joshua and Demko on IR (not using LTIR) 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I love that management was able to move the Poolman contract, and getting a younger depth defenseman is good too. Tidy bit of business. 

What I don’t understand is what’s in it for Colorado? They get a 4th round pick to eat $2.5M in cap. Aren’t they a cap team like the Canucks trying to win? Seems like a strange move on their part.

I was expecting a cap floor team to take on Poolman’s contract. 

I think it's juggling to be cap compliant. 

Colorado doesn't get the perks that Vegas gets. 

• ThereItIs 3

17 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I love that management was able to move the Poolman contract, and getting a younger depth defenseman is good too. Tidy bit of business. 

What I don’t understand is what’s in it for Colorado? They get a 4th round pick to eat $2.5M in cap. Aren’t they a cap team like the Canucks trying to win? Seems like a strange move on their part.

I was expecting a cap floor team to take on Poolman’s contract. 

Has to be something to do with Poolman being LTIR and how that can help with their cap. Maybe they run with a 22 man roster and Poolman on LTIR? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We used to go to those early games just to see the stars on other teams. Perrault was a phnom. Big, fast, incredibly skilled. For the younger posters, Perrault was very much like McDavid, minus the baby whining and teeth. 

Gilbert was good very good. He could confidently lug the puck up ice or he skate it in like wind. With that similar bull legged skating style as Bobby Orr. When you see that style you know the player is a real athlete. 

• Vintage 3

39 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Gilbert was good very good. He could confidently lug the puck up ice or he skate it in like wind. With that similar bull legged skating style as Bobby Orr. When you see that style you know the player is a real athlete. 

And slightly pigeontoed as well. I have enough anecdotal evidence from my personal experience to back this up and then I saw Michael Jordan and, well, my observations were validated