Erik Brännström | #26 | LD

Jess

He's only breaking into the NHL as of the past few years, but he's been pretty stably as NHL defenseman recently, so I'm putting him in this section for now.

probably gets snatched if he needs to clear waivers. i remember watching brännström back in the WJC and he was the leading D of the team and the best player on the team. he carried the junior team and commentators raved about him being a future NHL star. watching him going up and down AHL to NHL and not really taking that next step needed to be a top 6 player. Well i cant say i have followed him closely but i remember him as a two way D that was skilled and a decent shot. this was back in the WJC days and he went under the radar for me after that. if he stays i expect him to be the skilled type of player that brings some offense and some decent passing ranging from breakout to o-zone. Not sure where he fits in since it seems we mainly go for the larger heavy type of D-men these days... 

Edited by Mrwipeout

1 hour ago, Jess said:

He's only breaking into the NHL as of the past few years, but he's been pretty stably as NHL defenseman recently, so I'm putting him in this section for now.

Was he full time with the Avs last year ? 

Avs fans are saying he's a write-off. But that's partly cope. They also didn't develop Byram any good 

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Was he full time with the Avs last year ? 

Avs fans are saying he's a write-off. But that's partly cope. They also didn't develop Byram any good 

He was with the Senators for the last two years and was a full-time NHL defenseman. He hasn't played in the AHL since 2021-22. His TOI is over 16 minutes a game which is probably still 3rd pairing ice time, but make no mistake, he's been a full-time NHL player for two years now, at least for the Senators.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which teams have the worst D core? Habs, Sharks, and Flames? Maybe Barnstrom is a Hab tomorrow? 

Yeah but teams with the worst D, won't be doing themselves any favours by picking up Barnstrom. He's more at risk of being claimed by a team with a decent D that is a bit big and slow. Maybe Dallas will claim him.

I hope not though

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Yeah but teams with the worst D, won't be doing themselves any favours by picking up Barnstrom. He's more at risk of being claimed by a team with a decent D that is a bit big and slow. Maybe Dallas will claim him.

I hope not though

Don’t those totally crappy teams, like the Habs, pick first though? 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don’t those totally crappy teams, like the Habs, pick first though? 

They do yes. I just don't think he is the kind of player that can help bad teams or even be a viable project.

Here is the HF boards Senators thread on him. I was surprised how positive the last replies are. He wasn't getting the "good riddance" treatment. Also, Jauques Martin was considering trying him on the wing. But Brannstrom didn't want to. Maybe this is an option for him

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/erik-brännström-d-part-iii.2854558/page-153

Brannstrom had the heart of a lion, unfortunately he is just too small. I hope it works out for him as he is a great kid.

Edited by Blue

He might have a decent chance to compete for a Bottom NHL D spot with the Canucks.

There are always injuries and you have to assume the talent is there with his draft pedigree.

And it's Vancouver; how Swede it is. 🇸🇪

Great place to grab a grip on yourself, grind a few grouse, and show you can help the team.

Velcommen to (? I don't know; only ever heard something like it, lol) 

to Erik Brännström!  

May you beat somebody out of a spot on D for the Vaunted Vancouver Canucks.

And go on to:

Win The Stanley Cup!

With The Canucks!

Right Here in Vancouver!

Erik Brännström Erik Brännström Coast To Coast Goal GIF - Erik Brännström  Erik brännström coast to coast goal Erik brännström end to end goal -  Discover & Share GIFs

11 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Let's see if he can develop into a player

He's likely too good for the AHL. Abby will be stacked this year.

5 hours ago, Jess said:

He's likely too good for the AHL. Abby will be stacked this year.

He’s been in Ottawa his whole NA career pretty much. He didn’t participate in our training camp. 

Probably gonna be an adjustment period with getting use to the west coast life and new systems/coaches. 

He’s a nice get though for our D-depth. Still fairly young just turned 25 last month with over 200 games experience. 

We got some big D too and he could balance out the bottom pair potentially. 

• Like 1

• Jess changed the title to Erik Brännström | #26 | LD
On 10/8/2024 at 12:51 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

He’s been in Ottawa his whole NA career pretty much. He didn’t participate in our training camp. 

Probably gonna be an adjustment period with getting use to the west coast life and new systems/coaches. 

He’s a nice get though for our D-depth. Still fairly young just turned 25 last month with over 200 games experience. 

We got some big D too and he could balance out the bottom pair potentially. 

would be nice to see him follow a Räty-esque path to the big team