Erik Brännström | #26 | LD

Jess

On 10/18/2024 at 9:53 PM, high flying Vee said:

I want to see more of Brannstrom. 

We will. Hard to see him being sent down at this point. It looks more likely that Juulsen will be the odd man out and that isn't a bad thing.

Edited by BTueyCanucksFan
Greater context

2 hours ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

We will. Hard to see him being sent down at this point. It looks more likely that Juulsen will be the odd man out and that isn't a bad thing.

And:

Down goes Brannstrom

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/canucks-assign-veteran-defenseman-prospect-to-ahl/ar-AA1sRQT0?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aeae71f899a245d69372db958e0dd681&ei=6

"

The Canucks sent defenseman Erik Brannstrom and winger Arshdeep Bains to AHL Abbotsford today, per general manager Patrik Allvin.

Brannstrom heads back to the minors with fellow defender Derek Forbort, who’s ready to return from a brief personal leave, Rick Dhaliwal of CHEK reports. Forbort never landed on the non-roster list, so the Canucks’ active roster is now at 21 players with the two reassignments.

--------------------------

4 more paragraphs at link

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They are saying it's a paper transaction. They are saving money, and they will be recalled on Saturday. 

This. From what I read,  it allows them to increase daily cap savings from $2100 to $11000. Smart move as they don't play again till Saturday. Tocchet also loves what Brannstrom is doing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Can someone explain why he didnt require waivers? I thought he would have to be placed on waivers. He has played 269 games in his career.

Brannstrom just went through waivers recently.  Once he is recalled he doesn't need to go back on waivers to be sent down until after 9 games or cumulative 30 days from his recall.  

5 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Does it restart with him being sent down today?  

BTW thanks for the reply 

I'm no expert but I believe that for both number of games and number of days, it is cumulative and does not restart when he is recalled back up.  So the games he's played and the days he's already been on the roster still count towards his totals.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this does make the most sense to me...

Im really curious how he performs in high leverage games.  So far he has shown way more poise and physicality than when I watched him in OTT.  Happy to take the L on this one.

Maybe playing in Tocc/Foote’s system is just what he needed as well.  Doesnt need to be the big homerun hitter. 

On 10/17/2024 at 2:14 AM, kettlevalley said:

Our version of Forsling is a undeveloped trade chip that several teams gave up on.  

Vegas drafted Brannstrom but traded him to Ottawa. He then signed with Colorado who put him on waivers. Brannstrom is 25 and has yet to break out.

Vancouver drafted Forsling but traded him to Chicago who put him on waivers and Florida claimed him. Forsling had his breakout season at 25.

So what is your definition of "several teams"?

Edited by Curmudgeon

I think that assigning Bains and Brannstrom to the AHL is probably a housekeeping move to accrue cap space. Abbotsford's home opener is tomorrow night and Vancouver doesn't play until Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both back to Vancouver on Saturday. I'll be at the Abby game and am hoping that Lekkerimaki gets in the lineup. Also looking forward to see what the organization has in Brannstrom, McWard, Kudryavtsev and D-Petey. 

7 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think that assigning Bains and Brannstrom to the AHL is probably a housekeeping move to accrue cap space. Abbotsford's home opener is tomorrow night and Vancouver doesn't play until Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both back to Vancouver on Saturday. I'll be at the Abby game and am hoping that Lekkerimaki gets in the lineup. Also looking forward to see what the organization has in Brannstrom, McWard, Kudryavtsev and D-Petey. 

There is also a days count as well as a games count for waiver eligibility.  30 days on the NHL roster or 10 games and Brannstrom has to clear waivers again.  Once he is up one or the other they are not going to want to send him down again or won't want to bring him up and we might see Wolanin.  

Great explanation of Brannstrom getting sent down for cap savings here

Expect this to be an ongoing thing the Canucks do this season with waiver-exempt players.

Bains, who is in his third pro season, won’t require waivers in 2024-25. Brannstrom had to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL prior to the season but doesn’t require it now because he hasn’t been on the roster for 30 days or 10 games.

Bains makes $816,667 at the NHL level. The 23-year-old Surrey native earns much less, just $70,000 when he’s in the AHL.

Brannstrom, meanwhile, is on a one-way contract. That means the 25-year-old Swedish defenceman makes $900,000 regardless of if he’s in the NHL or the AHL. Because his salary is less than $1,150,000, NHL rules dictate that none of it counts against the cap when he’s in the minors.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2024 at 4:29 PM, Goose said:

Im really curious how he performs in high leverage games.  So far he has shown way more poise and physicality than when I watched him in OTT.  Happy to take the L on this one.

Maybe playing in Tocc/Foote’s system is just what he needed as well.  Doesnt need to be the big homerun hitter. 

Same, this is not the same Brannstrom from the Senators. Sometimes the right scheme is what the player needs

On 10/24/2024 at 7:19 PM, RakuRaku said:

We need to keep Brannstrom around longer to see if he can be a long term fit as a puck moving D-man! Juulsen on the other hand is redundant if we play Desharnais most nights!

Between Forbort, Deharnais and Brannstrom, Deharnais would be the odd guy out. He's just a warm body that just happens to be 6'6. Not really impressed with him so far

• Like 1