[Extension] Canucks extend Hoglander

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

you have 2 incomplete top line.. both are missing a legit top 6 winger.. suter pdg is not it.. sprong historically is not it.. grats you have 2 3rd line that's nearing the top of the league for most expensive while only playing 10-12mins a night such good value you are getting.. while we could have used some of those money to invest in properly top 4 defenceman coz as it stands the canucks have 4 defenceman that would be botttom pairing on a lot of teams.

You basically just described almost every team in the league.

That's the whole purpose of the salary cap, to level the playing field.

Please point to a team that has a legit top 6 along with a legit top 4 defence core.

It takes time to build this up and Management has done a hell of a job in the last year icing a team that is not only competitive but paid well.

I wouldn't worry aboit the cost of our bottom 6 right now.

10 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Please point to a team that has a legit top 6 along with a legit top 4 defence core.

It takes time to build this up and Management has done a hell of a job in the last year icing a team that is not only competitive but paid well.

so would you rather a team with a legit top 6 and a decent top 4 and an average mediocre bottom 6 or a incomplete top 6 filled with the likes of suter pdg or sprong and then have a mediocre defence core outside of hronek hughes but have a very good 3rd and 4th line??

the amount of money we spent on joshua garland hoglander to play in the bottom 6 we could have used that money to have a decent top 4 defenceman and a top 6 forward or 2 top 4 defenceman and fill in the gap with your farm prospects or vets. we are looking at 2 players shooting at over 20%.. chances of that happening again? prolly relatively low.. this is the same fanbase that was bitching and moaning about the tanner pearson 3.25mil cap hit when he had 14g 20 assist in 68 games while bringing all the defensive tool kit.

why shouldn't we worry about the cost of our bottom 6? boeser needs a contract this year, demko the year after. on top of Miller will be 32 by the end of the season.. how many more seasons of elite production does he have left? prolly 2.. our most realistic windows is prolly the next 2-3 years where everything lines up where we have a prime miller ep hughes boeser demko.. how many teams have won the cup coz they invested in the bottom 6 instead of top 6 and top 4 defence? 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so would you rather a team with a legit top 6 and a decent top 4 and an average mediocre bottom 6 or a incomplete top 6 filled with the likes of suter pdg or sprong and then have a mediocre defence core outside of hronek hughes but have a very good 3rd and 4th line??

the amount of money we spent on joshua garland hoglander to play in the bottom 6 we could have used that money to have a decent top 4 defenceman and a top 6 forward or 2 top 4 defenceman and fill in the gap with your farm prospects or vets. we are looking at 2 players shooting at over 20%.. chances of that happening again? prolly relatively low.. this is the same fanbase that was bitching and moaning about the tanner pearson 3.25mil cap hit when he had 14g 20 assist in 68 games while bringing all the defensive tool kit.

why shouldn't we worry about the cost of our bottom 6? boeser needs a contract this year, demko the year after. on top of Miller will be 32 by the end of the season.. how many more seasons of elite production does he have left? prolly 2.. our most realistic windows is prolly the next 2-3 years where everything lines up where we have a prime miller ep hughes boeser demko.. how many teams have won the cup coz they invested in the bottom 6 instead of top 6 and top 4 defence? 

You ask a lot of questions.

I woukd rather have exactly what we currently have, than trade our awesome bottom 6 for 1 more scorer, or 1 more D.

The bottom 6 is where you win cups. Those are the guys shitting down other teams big forwards, killing penalties, forechecking, drawing penalties, hitting and pitching in Secondary scoring.

Canucks don't have anywhere near the January record we had last year with Joshua, Bleugar and Garland.

I would rather the top 6 score less goals and the bottom 6 make up for them, than relay heavily on the top 6 with no support (oilers). 

Edited by JayDangles
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

You ask a lot of questions.

I woukd rather have exactly what we currently have, than trade our awesome bottom 6 for 1 more scorer, or 1 more D.

The bottom 6 is where you want cups. Those are the guys shitting down other teams big forwards, killing penalties, forechecking, drawing penalties, hitting and pitching in Secondary scoring.

Canucks don't have anywhere near the January record we had last year with Joshua, Bleugar and Garland.

I would rather the top 6 score less goals and the bottom 6 make up for them, than relay heavily on the top 6 with no support (oilers). 

He does seem to be describing the Toronto model as well.   Tried to point out recent cup winners, and explain what they paid for their middle six bottom six bottom pairing but it went right over his head.   Recent going back to PIT really. 

TB is a great example.  They had loads of guys in the 5 million range.  Palat.  Tyler Johnson.  JT Miller.   Always seemed to have a catalyst on each line.   And understood (Marroon) the value of balance.   Best team i've watched since COL Sakic era really.     FLD had OEL getting paid what exactly.     ST. Louis spread their payroll all over the place even.    There isn't a magic methodology, other than guys playing to, or over their cap.    That's it.      As for COL, it could be DET too,  but well they beat them one more time in the post season then lost so either or.   TB is/was by far the best cap era team i've watched play.   Better than CHI.  Going back that far, what did they do with their teams anyways?   Always had someone on each line that was paid.     

As for the Canuck's.   Allvin knows we need another 4-5 guy and a 3C.    Those guys don't come cheap but there are ways to get them.   Soucy.   You can't fill out a roster with league MIN AHLers and expect to win crap.   Where is even the internal competition! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

He does seem to be describing the Toronto model as well.   Tried to point out recent cup winners, and explain what they paid for their middle six bottom six bottom pairing but it went right over his head.   Recent going back to PIT really. 

TB is a great example.  They had loads of guys in the 5 million range.  Palat.  Tyler Johnson.  JT Miller.   Always seemed to have a catalyst on each line.   And understood (Marroon) the value of balance.   Best team i've watched since COL Sakic era really.     FLD had OEL getting paid what exactly.     ST. Louis spread their payroll all over the place even.    There isn't a magic methodology, other than guys playing to, or over their cap.    That's it.      As for COL, it could be DET too,  but well they beat them one more time in the post season then lost so either or.   TB is/was by far the best cap era team i've watched play.   Better than CHI.  Going back that far, what did they do with their teams anyways?   Always had someone on each line that was paid.     

As for the Canuck's.   Allvin knows we need another 4-5 guy and a 3C.    Those guys don't come cheap but there are ways to get them.   Soucy.   You can't fill out a roster with league MIN AHLers and expect to win crap.   Where is even the internal competition! 

And I'd say that we have a few guys that can play 3C....one who is young and MAY be on the rise. 4/5 Dman is where the need is, and I would guess it gets dealt with in December or early January.

The question is whom we utilize to acquire said player? Obviously draft stock will be involved, but is there a current roster player that we would move?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

And I'd say that we have a few guys that can play 3C....one who is young and MAY be on the rise. 4/5 Dman is where the need is, and I would guess it gets dealt with in December or early January.

The question is whom we utilize to acquire said player? Obviously draft stock will be involved, but is there a current roster player that we would move?

We pick up Zadorov from Boston in  December with Bruins retaining.

• Upvote 1

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
11 hours ago, IBatch said:

i'm describing the toronto model? so having more top 4 defenceman is the toronto model? well if that's the case then ya sure i rather have the toronto model of having top 4 defenceman vs bottom 6 forwards.. myers desharnais forbot soucy and whoever else.. most are not a 2nd pairing in more than half the league. 

21 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'd say 3/4 D man but yeah... Garland for Marcus Pettersson. Might even allow us to split Hughes/Hronek and give us two very good D pairs.

On 10/9/2024 at 3:43 PM, JayDangles said:

Until recently the Ava and Bolts