[Extension] Canucks extend Hoglander

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

24 goals last season, caveat is he had a 20% shooting percentage so he's probably due for some regression 

If he can hit at least 15 goals that's good value 

I agree. I think he can still improve overall with more shots and assists, but his goals will very likely drop. 

• Cheers 1

Great signing, love the way Pumba plays. My prediction is ... oh wait, I am not good on predictions so won't jynx good ole Pumba.

However, should he average out at 20g 20a a season over the next 3 years, this will be an excellent value contract (duh!). Last season, Hogz averaged 12:47 TOI and played very little PP. Should he play on the 3rd line with Garland and Raty for most of the season (yes, have to take a long look at Gar / Blug / Dak) then I would hazard a guess any regression in shooting percentage would be offset by an increase in number of shots ... so 20g 20a average not out of the realm of possibility.

If he does hit that, then will be set up nicely for a pay increase at the next contract signing. Speaking of which,

image.png.74685f44db383f14766889226237974e.png

How does a UFA have arbitration rights? This is one I haven't seen before. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did Hogs score any goals on the pp? 

No, he has two career powerplay goals for the Canucks and most powerplays will mostly be used by the first unit 

https://www.quanthockey.com/hockey-stats/en/profile.php?player=53522

Maybe he chips in on the second unit, but it's unlikely he beats out any of the following for the first unit: Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Hronek, and DeBrusk

He did most of his damage at even strength, which while great, means any scoring drop off at even strength probably won't be significantly mitigated by increased powerplay production unless powerplay time is spread out more evenly amongst the units

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're right. In 42 minutes of PP time last year, he failed to register a single power play point, in fact. Something he clearly needs to work on. Reminds me of Garland's struggles in the past, actually. The two are very similar players, though Hoglander is built much thicker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly. He hadn’t gotten one on the PP and was never there.

This whole regression by shooting percentage is a bit exaggerated. The guy has a lot of offensive talent. All those goals were even strength. Put him on the PP in the second unit. I can see him become a 30 goal scorer 

• Cheers 1

Hmm did not see this one coming before season starts. It's good that we don't have to let Hogz get to RFA and risk another team giving him an offer sheet. Management and coach must believe in him to give him an extension now. 

We can't keep everyone...but we can worry about that later.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

That is equivalent to what like 2.5-2.7m during the flat cap era? taking in consideration salary % of that contract vs the teams. 

That is a steal if he remains relevant.

• Vintage 1

Glad this got done before the season started. Imagine he started white hot. Depending on who his agent is , it could have spelled trouble. 

Hogs has the same ES goals as Draisitle. 

Dylan Guenther got 7 million. 

• Like 3

The Swedish chef sure is cookin today !! This looks like a great deal given the way Hogz is tracking, 3 years at 3M ties him in through the buyout pain years and if he can score 25+ a season and move up the lineup he's gonna earn this and then some. Love it. 

WOW

I was always on board w xtending Hoagie.  But at 3 million? 

PA absolutely knocked it out of the park.  Kudos to Hoagie too-this seems like a very team friendly/ fair deal

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And he’s a little prick (ly pear). Hogs and Garland on a third line (Raty at centre) would be absolutely no fun to play against. Three pests. 

Joshua will be on the 3rd line when he returns. Höglander will play up and down the lineup. Could also take Garland’s spot next season. Not sure we are going to extend Garland. He’s an expensive luxury on the 3rd line. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Honestly thought he’d be hard to keep after this season and we might have to let him walk. 

Another 5 on 5 scoring ace locked up for a reasonable deal.  He's only 23 and came into camp in phenomenal shape.

As I think most of us agree on - it should be a huge steal. 

• Cheers 2