[Extension] Canucks extend Hoglander

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Great deal especially if he can keep up from last season but it really comes down to can he do this in a bottom 6 role. Between spong suter heinan pdg and whoever else there’s I don’t think he beats out any of them in the top 6

How old is Hogs?... 

Its fair to expect him to become stronger or even better over the next few years...

I think he'll excel in a bottom 6 role...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

He's 23 and still learning by all accounts and from what we've seen.

Thing is, there are some things that you can't teach that he's got. He's sturdy and has great balance which really helps him stay on his feet in puck battles. He's tenacious and seems to love board battles....he certainly doesn't shy away from them. He also seems to frustrate and agitate other teams and can pull them off their game. A bit of a weasel in a good way (for us). Got the same edge and drive as Miller and Garland. And his talent with the puck and potential for some slick moves make him a bit unpredictable (always the threat of a lacrosse goal).

I don't know that he won't beat out other guys as he gains more experience in the NHL and really finds his own.

While Hogs doesn't back down from anyone I don't consider him a dirty player. He is aggressive which I think most NHL players expect. My impression is other players push back as much as they do because he is a smaller player yet is besting them physically. This particularly true of his board work play. Hoglander has a go to spinarama on the boards that often has him coming out with the puck or drawing a penalty. I expect to see him on PP2 this year at some point. If he got 

15 minutes of TOI his ppg could go up significantly. Getting him at $3 mil will be a real bonus. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

He's 23 and still learning by all accounts and from what we've seen.

Thing is, there are some things that you can't teach that he's got. He's sturdy and has great balance which really helps him stay on his feet in puck battles. He's tenacious and seems to love board battles....he certainly doesn't shy away from them. He also seems to frustrate and agitate other teams and can pull them off their game. A bit of a weasel in a good way (for us). Got the same edge and drive as Miller and Garland. And his talent with the puck and potential for some slick moves make him a bit unpredictable (always the threat of a lacrosse goal).

I don't know that he won't beat out other guys as he gains more experience in the NHL and really finds his own.

Exactly the way I see, hence why should we not expect him to continue his development...

Think it's a great deal and a good gamble by PA.... He has already over the last season and during this preseason shown, even stronger board work and he doesn't shy away in battles for pucks... His tenacity also gets under the skin of the opposition Just like Garland does.... He'll likely be ace on the 3rd line, but can likely play any of the 4 lines... Think he'll at least be an amazing goal scorer in the bottom 6...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

How old is Hogs?... 

Its fair to expect him to become stronger or even better over the next few years...

I think he'll excel in a bottom 6 role...

yes and no.. where is he playing this season if he's in the bottom 6 role? 4th line? or is Joshua/garland playing on the 4th line? unless garland ends up moved it's unrealistic to expect hoglander to reach anywhere close to 20 goal if he does end up in the 4th line this season. which is very possible unless you think RT will play him over say suter or pdg on the top line or sprong/heinan in the 2nd line.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

yes and no.. where is he playing this season if he's in the bottom 6 role? 4th line? or is Joshua/garland playing on the 4th line? unless garland ends up moved it's unrealistic to expect hoglander to reach anywhere close to 20 goal if he does end up in the 4th line this season. which is very possible unless you think RT will play him over say suter or pdg on the top line or sprong/heinan in the 2nd line.

I'm not so sure about that... as far as I remember the vast majority of Hogs goals came, while playing in the bottom 6...

I think the way they'll line up once everyone are healthy (which rarely happens), will be like

DeBrusk - Petey = Sprong

Joshua/Heinen - Miller - Brock

Joshua/Hogs/Heinen - Suter - Garland

Hogs/Heinen - Bluger - Sherwood

To start the season

DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong

Heinen - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Suter - Garland

Bains - Bluger - Sherwood

Or 

Debrusk - Petey - Sprong

Suter - Miller - Brock

Heinen/Hogs - Raty - Garland

Heinen/Hogs - Bluger - Sherwood

These lines obviously depends on both Sprong and Heinen finding chemistry with their new line mates...

Either way, to me that looks an exceptionally strong line up, and I can easily see Hogs pot 15-20 goals there...

If Hogs continues to develop, he may end up in the top 6, but last season it didn't work too well for him there... Lots of possibilities... Tocchet must be drooling with this at his disposal... 

If for any reason Hogs or any other doesn't fit into the system, we've already seen how quickly and smartly Alvin wields the axe... 

• Cheers 1

If Garland signs another team friendly deal, then keeping him is a no-brainer. 

But a lot depends on what is offered for him. If the Islanders were crazy enough to offer Dobson for Garland 1 for 1, you've gotta take that deal. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Exactly the way I see, hence why should we not expect him to continue his development...

Think it's a great deal and a good gamble by PA.... He has already over the last season and during this preseason shown, even stronger board work and he doesn't shy away in battles for pucks... His tenacity also gets under the skin of the opposition Just like Garland does.... He'll likely be ace on the 3rd line, but can likely play any of the 4 lines... Think he'll at least be an amazing goal scorer in the bottom 6...

I hear what lot you’re saying.  From Hogs’ perspective he’s being paid like a bottom 6 guy this year and a middle-6 or complimentary top 6 piece for the 3 after.  I’m sure he’d love to be a top 6 mainstay but he’s really carved a niche as a depth contributor. 

We have him for 4 seasons, as well.  For him to really take a step forward he’s going to also need opportunities.  

Looking at a guy like Garland topping out at 50 points with only PP2 time is likely Hogs’ ceiling unless he gets regular shifts with Petey / Miller and PP1 time. 

And at 1.1 this year and 3 the following 3 that’s just fine.  He’ll likely get his top 6 opportunity over that 4 season span but right now he’s just a nice depth guy in the fold with some upside - but there’s no rush to hit that upside. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

No thanks.  I REALLY don't understand people that want to trade Garland.  One of the best play drivers on this team 5v5.  These are the numbers he has put on the board with the Canucks with barely any top 6 minutes and limited PP time:

2021-22 = 19 goals and 52 points

2022-23 = 17 goals and 46 points

2023-24 = 20 goals and 47 points

He's 28 years old... literally entering his prime years now. 

You wanna bet he gets traded?   🤨

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'm not so sure about that... as far as I remember the vast majority of Hogs goals came, while playing in the bottom 6...

I think the way they'll line up once everyone are healthy (which rarely happens), will be like

DeBrusk - Petey = Sprong

Joshua/Heinen - Miller - Brock

Joshua/Hogs/Heinen - Suter - Garland

Hogs/Heinen - Bluger - Sherwood

To start the season

DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong

Heinen - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Suter - Garland

Bains - Bluger - Sherwood

Or 

Debrusk - Petey - Sprong

Suter - Miller - Brock

Heinen/Hogs - Raty - Garland

Heinen/Hogs - Bluger - Sherwood

These lines obviously depends on both Sprong and Heinen finding chemistry with their new line mates...

Either way, to me that looks an exceptionally strong line up, and I can easily see Hogs pot 15-20 goals there...

If Hogs continues to develop, he may end up in the top 6, but last season it didn't work too well for him there... Lots of possibilities... Tocchet must be drooling with this at his disposal... 

If for any reason Hogs or any other doesn't fit into the system, we've already seen how quickly and smartly Alvin wields the axe... 

I can't believe you are messing with the best third line in the NHL and arguably our best line in the last half of last season. They have chemistry off the charts.

The interchangeables are going to be Hogs, Heinen and Sprong on the 1st,2nd and 4th lines. 

Blueger is our main guy between Garland and Joshua when everyone is healthy.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, JT Millers Body Language said:

Still open to trading him. I don't think he move the needle and would rather spend the cap space on a dman.

He's 23 years old with 20 goals in a season and none of the on the PP.  He has the ability to play up and down the lineup.  This is a great deal for the Canucks.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I can't believe you are messing with the best third line in the NHL and arguably our best line in the last half of last season. They have chemistry off the charts.

The interchangeables are going to be Hogs, Heinen and Sprong on the 1st,2nd and 4th lines. 

Blueger is our main guy between Garland and Joshua when everyone is healthy.

I agree with you....but then I would also love to see what Joshua can do on a top 6 line if he gets in game shape and looks like last year.  I don't know enough about the new guys other than DeBrusk though, so tough one.

• Cheers 1