[Extension] Canucks extend Hoglander

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I agree with you....but then I would also love to see what Joshua can do on a top 6 line if he gets in game shape and looks like last year.  I don't know enough about the new guys other than DeBrusk though, so tough one.

I think Joshua has that capability as well and I was surprised that we did not give that line a chance in the playoffs. They wanted to fit Lindholm in there though. If we had Petey going, we would have had 3 lines who were dangerous threats to score. 

We will have to see what the new guys can do for our top six pairings but Joshua definitely would not look out of place up there at all.

• Cheers 1

Interesting what they plan to do in the coming months.

He could be a valuable trade piece when we inevitably shop for a top 4 D. If he can maintain a 40 point pace by around the deadline, his value should be immense considering he will be cost controlled for an additional 3 more years.

On the flip side, he establishes himself as an integral top/middle 6 forward and replaces Sprong/Heinen’s current spot in the top 6. 

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'm not so sure about that... as far as I remember the vast majority of Hogs goals came, while playing in the bottom 6...

I think the way they'll line up once everyone are healthy (which rarely happens), will be like

DeBrusk - Petey = Sprong

Joshua/Heinen - Miller - Brock

Joshua/Hogs/Heinen - Suter - Garland

Hogs/Heinen - Bluger - Sherwood

To start the season

DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong

Heinen - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Suter - Garland

Bains - Bluger - Sherwood

Or 

Debrusk - Petey - Sprong

Suter - Miller - Brock

Heinen/Hogs - Raty - Garland

Heinen/Hogs - Bluger - Sherwood

These lines obviously depends on both Sprong and Heinen finding chemistry with their new line mates...

Either way, to me that looks an exceptionally strong line up, and I can easily see Hogs pot 15-20 goals there...

If Hogs continues to develop, he may end up in the top 6, but last season it didn't work too well for him there... Lots of possibilities... Tocchet must be drooling with this at his disposal... 

If for any reason Hogs or any other doesn't fit into the system, we've already seen how quickly and smartly Alvin wields the axe... 

nah i don't think anyone besides suter or PDG is ever playing with the miller brock.. they had so many chance to play anyone else but them on the miller line last season.. i rather we just stick with what works the garland joshua bluegar line even though it's overpaid as a 3rd line.. but at least they are providing close to their value in that role.. as for hogs i really don't se ehim in a 15-20 goal pace if he's stuck on the bottom 6 and likely the 4th line when everyone is healthy.. he's not going to shoot at a 20% rate.. people say his shooting % will go down but he'll get more shots so it'll even out, but i don't see that happening.. but regardless it's not that big deal this season.. since his contract doesn't kick in till next season and some of the guys in the top 6 or garland will prolly be gone by then.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I can't believe you are messing with the best third line in the NHL and arguably our best line in the last half of last season. They have chemistry off the charts.

The interchangeables are going to be Hogs, Heinen and Sprong on the 1st,2nd and 4th lines. 

Blueger is our main guy between Garland and Joshua when everyone is healthy.

Yeah that's a fair comment.... you're right.

Bluger will probably anchor the 3rd line, if Joshua and Garland will flank him. However if they push Joshua up the line up all bets are off...

And you can add Suter to the list of interchangeable, as he is still a possibility on the Miller wing.

Edited by spook007

54 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nah i don't think anyone besides suter or PDG is ever playing with the miller brock.. they had so many chance to play anyone else but them on the miller line last season.. i rather we just stick with what works the garland joshua bluegar line even though it's overpaid as a 3rd line.. but at least they are providing close to their value in that role.. as for hogs i really don't se ehim in a 15-20 goal pace if he's stuck on the bottom 6 and likely the 4th line when everyone is healthy.. he's not going to shoot at a 20% rate.. people say his shooting % will go down but he'll get more shots so it'll even out, but i don't see that happening.. but regardless it's not that big deal this season.. since his contract doesn't kick in till next season and some of the guys in the top 6 or garland will prolly be gone by then.

I agree with this... I still believe Millers wing is Suters to lose... Hogs were tried in the top 6 with limited success last season, but this is not to say he won't improve and find chemistry with Petey.

However, I don't see Hogs on the top 2 lines to start the season. Think he'll start on the 3rd or 4th line, and then pending on how the rest fares, once Joshua comes back, they may change is around.

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I agree with this... I still believe Millers wing is Suters to lose... Hogs were tried in the top 6 with limited success last season, but this is not to say he won't improve and find chemistry with Petey.

However, I don't see Hogs on the top 2 lines to start the season. Think he'll start on the 3rd or 4th line, and then pending on how the rest fares, once Joshua comes back, they may change is around.

which is fine for this season but i dont think we have the luxury of going into next season with 14+mil tied up in bottom 6 wingers. like between hoglander joshua garland that's 12mil. easily could have gotten 2 very good top 6 wingers + like a lekkerimaki at elc

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

which is fine for this season but i dont think we have the luxury of going into next season with 14+mil tied up in bottom 6 wingers. like between hoglander joshua garland that's 12mil. easily could have gotten 2 very good top 6 wingers + like a lekkerimaki at elc

A lot of things can happen before then...

Brock or Garland could be traded (not saying they will, but gives them a bit of lee way should Brocks demands become unreasonable)... 

The other option is Joshua further up the line up, or Improved play from Hogs may see him promoted to the top 6...

• Like 1

I'm a big believer in Hoglander. By the time he hits his prime years, he'll be able to play anywhere up and down the lineup. 

For years so many were crying that we had to focus on developing players from within. Hoglander is the perfect example of that and he's only 23. And to think his best years are still to come is something to look forward to in our current window. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Garland for Petterson (PIT) at some point this year, Hoglander takes over Garland's 3rd line spot.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Garland for Petterson (PIT) at some point this year, Hoglander takes over Garland's 3rd line spot.

Could they be thinking like putting pressure on Brock as well, if he wants too big a pay rise?

(FTR, I also believe Garland, will be the casualty, for no other reason than he is cost controlled for another year, and too expensive for the 3rd line...).

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

On 10/7/2024 at 7:41 PM, spook007 said:

I'm not so sure about that... as far as I remember the vast majority of Hogs goals came, while playing in the bottom 6...

I think the way they'll line up once everyone are healthy (which rarely happens), will be like

DeBrusk - Petey = Sprong

Joshua/Heinen - Miller - Brock

Joshua/Hogs/Heinen - Suter - Garland

Hogs/Heinen - Bluger - Sherwood

To start the season

DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong

Heinen - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Suter - Garland

Bains - Bluger - Sherwood

Or 

Debrusk - Petey - Sprong

Suter - Miller - Brock

Heinen/Hogs - Raty - Garland

Heinen/Hogs - Bluger - Sherwood

These lines obviously depends on both Sprong and Heinen finding chemistry with their new line mates...

Either way, to me that looks an exceptionally strong line up, and I can easily see Hogs pot 15-20 goals there...

If Hogs continues to develop, he may end up in the top 6, but last season it didn't work too well for him there... Lots of possibilities... Tocchet must be drooling with this at his disposal... 

If for any reason Hogs or any other doesn't fit into the system, we've already seen how quickly and smartly Alvin wields the axe... 

On 10/7/2024 at 10:20 PM, EdgarM said:

I can't believe you are messing with the best third line in the NHL and arguably our best line in the last half of last season. They have chemistry off the charts.

The interchangeables are going to be Hogs, Heinen and Sprong on the 1st,2nd and 4th lines. 

Blueger is our main guy between Garland and Joshua when everyone is healthy.

By the look of todays practices, I look to have gotten it right, except Åman instead of Bains... Will be interesting to see, what Tocchet does tomorrow...

2 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Hoglander will be playing in the top 6 this year - eventually. He’ll claim either Heinen or Sprongs spot in the top 6. He’s recently more proven, in house, in a similarly limited role those guys experienced last year. 

Not sure about that.  Heinen is a good fit with Miller and Boeser with his defensive play. Sprong has a great shot and could be deadly with Petey. 

I think Höglander is a better fit in the bottom 6 where he can play against inferior opposition. Tocchet likes to have a balance each line. I can see Höglander playing with Raty. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

People overrate hoglander so hard.. Hes worse than mason raymond he just tries harder.

Raymond was wafer soft. Hoggy plays with an edge that has the other team chasing him around out of position. 

They are very different players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

People overrate hoglander so hard.. Hes worse than mason raymond he just tries harder.

There should be a troll emoji Mason Raymond fell down more often in one shift than hogllander has his entire career couldn't be more different players.

18 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well you can't fill a team with top 6 wingers. Talent is great, but you do need guys with size, grinders, shut down players, forecheckers, penalty killers etc. And those talents get paid also. 

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Well you can't fill a team with top 6 wingers. Talent is great, but you do need guys with size, grinders, shut down players, forecheckers, penalty killers etc. And those talents get paid also. 

not at the cost of having 14mil in bottom 6 wingers when we dont even have 4 legit top 6 wingers we have debrusk and boeser and then a bunch of fringe

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

not at the cost of having 14mil in bottom 6 wingers when we dont even have 4 legit top 6 wingers we have debrusk and boeser and then a bunch of fringe

I disagree. We have two first lines and two excellent 3rd lines no matter how we rearrange the deck chairs. I know that’s a mixed metaphor but you’re still wrong 🙂

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I disagree. We have two first lines and two excellent 3rd lines no matter how we rearrange the deck chairs. I know that’s a mixed metaphor but you’re still wrong 🙂

you have 2 incomplete top line.. both are missing a legit top 6 winger.. suter pdg is not it.. sprong historically is not it.. grats you have 2 3rd line that's nearing the top of the league for most expensive while only playing 10-12mins a night such good value you are getting.. while we could have used some of those money to invest in properly top 4 defenceman coz as it stands the canucks have 4 defenceman that would be botttom pairing on a lot of teams.