[Waivers] October 1st, 2023

Nice - glad we didn't lose anyone 'for nothing' and we still have a lottery ball or 2 left there with Woo at least.  I think he could with a full season in AHL no injuries and top pair mins still have a chance at a NHL job. 

I think Rathbone is kinda done - but he seems to have a great drive and attitude so you never know. 

I mean remember that if another team claims a player they can't just send them down, they have to either play them or let them sit - and on the preseason showing none of these players should be any where near an NHL team - its no huge shocker, but u never know if there's a desperate team who has a thin injury roster and really likes a player.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I remember reading in the CBA that if a player is claimed off waivers, they are mandated to stay on roster for at least a month before they can be "waived" again. Even in that situation - if the Canucks lost Woo off waivers, he would have to be offered back to them before being sent down/clearing waivers. If the original team (canucks) want him they can claim him and automatically reassign him to Abbotsford without having to go through waivers again unless he stays on the roster for more than 30 days or plays 10 NHL games.

I doubt another team wanted to go through the process to claim Woo and hold him on the roster while he hasn't shown he is a bonafide NHL depth piece yet. Just would waste a roster spot for them and likely make other teams have to make a hard decision on their own group. 

If anything - Rathbone was the one I was concerned about losing. Glad both cleared

Yep, I could have seen CHI, SJS or ANA taking Rathbone. One more season to figure it out…

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

Yep, I could have seen CHI, SJS or ANA taking Rathbone. One more season to figure it out…

Still doesn't have a spot on this roster. Hopefully he can have a good season in Abby and we can get something for him in trade.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t there a rule about how many games a waiver eligible call up can play before he has to go back down and not go through waivers?  Would be great if Woo could come up for several games without needing to clear again. 

Players who have cleared waivers are exempt until they have played 10 games or have been on the roster for 30 days. That's cumulative, so if they're called up for 2 games every so often, they'll still eventually need to clear again.

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I remember reading in the CBA that if a player is claimed off waivers, they are mandated to stay on roster for at least a month before they can be "waived" again. Even in that situation - if the Canucks lost Woo off waivers, he would have to be offered back to them before being sent down/clearing waivers. If the original team (canucks) want him they can claim him and automatically reassign him to Abbotsford without having to go through waivers again unless he stays on the roster for more than 30 days or plays 10 NHL games.

I doubt another team wanted to go through the process to claim Woo and hold him on the roster while he hasn't shown he is a bonafide NHL depth piece yet. Just would waste a roster spot for them and likely make other teams have to make a hard decision on their own group. 

If anything - Rathbone was the one I was concerned about losing. Glad both cleared

If a player is claimed they have to stay on the roster of the new team for the season or be put on waivers again. If any other teams put in a waiver claim the first time around, they could still claim the player before the Canucks get rights to claim him back and send him straight to the AHL. The goal of waivers is to give players every option to stay in the NHL.

Edited by elvis15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Every team has their own Jack Rathbone. No surprise that he cleared. I think his time in VAN is over. Seems like another Euro bound player.

Rathbone is frustrating to watch like Goldobin was. All the offensive talent to make the NHL, but something holding him back from truly flourishing.

If we're keeping score, Rathbone was a Brackett pick under Benning. Not all picks succeed, despite the amount of scouting. Rathbone at least was a third rounder. He was worth the gamble.

I think if Rathbone turns it around in the AHL, he can still be worth the wait.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do that deal...

Hughes       Bjork

Cole            Hronek

Soucy         Myers

Brisebois    McWard

This is the best lineup we could hope for for opening night without making a major trade...

Bjork, Pachal and Coghlan are the names we should be watching IMO.

One of those guys should be playing next to Hughes this October.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

McWard can be assigned.

Kind of have a feeling he’s a placeholder for a trade/waiver pickup/return of Bear.

Pick up one of Bjork, Pachal and Coghlan, assign McWard. Later this season, move Myers, sign Bear. Voila! 🧙‍♂️

Hughes, Bjork/Pachal/Coghlan

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Bear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

McWard can be assigned.

Kind of have a feeling he’s a placeholder for a trade/waiver pickup/return of Bear.

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pick up one of Bjork, Pachal and Coghlan, assign McWard. Later this season, move Myers, sign Bear. Voila! 🧙‍♂️

Hughes, Bjork/Pachal/Coghlan

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Bear

Awesome. That makes sense, and an extra incentive for keeping someone up that’s not eligible for waivers

I think both Rathbone and Woo are far away from being NHL regulars. I personally doubt either will make it. Woo is closer based on the role we would want him in.  But I don’t think Rathbone will ever be the smooth skating, puck moving defender we wanted him to be

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

I think both Rathbone and Woo are far away from being NHL regulars. I personally doubt either will make it. Woo is closer based on the role we would want him in.  But I don’t think Rathbone will ever be the smooth skating, puck moving defender we wanted him to be

I think they’re close, but doubt that they ever get there. I expect them to be gone one day via trade or waivers, and maybe bounce around on the fringe for a few years. Kinda like Juulsen.