PTSC 2024-25: Game #1 CGY @ VAN Oct 9 2024

Goalie29

14 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

The turning point was the fight. Miller answered the bell, but it settled Calgary down. Should have let them chase the rest of the night and stay off balance.

Unpopular opinion, but I am glad Miller answered the bell:

1. This is the code and you have to respect the code within the game.
  2. We may end up winning the game if he refused the fight and let them chase the rest of the night and stay off balance. Let's say they take 3 more minor penalties in the second period, and we scored 2 more powerplay goals as a result to make it 6-1 going into the third (and to add insult to injury, let's say Miller scored 1 of those goals). The Flames, who have nothing to lose and nothing to play for could start doing stupid shit to our players and we may end up losing 1 or 2 of them to injuries (which in the long-run, more of a negative impact)

The correct response would've been dropped the gloves then continue to play with the same intensity they did in period 1 for the rest of the game and close it out.

• Jess unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I am glad Miller answered the bell:

1. This is the code and you have to respect the code within the game.
  2. We may end up winning the game if he refused the fight and let them chase the rest of the night and stay off balance. Let's say they take 3 more minor penalties in the second period, and we scored 2 more powerplay goals as a result to make it 6-1 going into the third (and to add insult to injury, let's say Miller scored 1 of those goals). The Flames, who have nothing to lose and nothing to play for could start doing stupid shit to our players and we may end up losing 1 or 2 of them to injuries (which in the long-run, more of a negative impact)

The correct response would've been dropped the gloves then continue to play with the same intensity they did in period 1 for the rest of the game and close it out.

I'm also glad he answered the bell, but I personally would have let them chase for another 10 to 15 min of game time. Right at the end of the first, it gives them the opportunity to put the bad start and everything behind them and rally. 

Totally get why Miller did it and that he had to do it, but game management sometimes dictates the timing. It's like surrendering a goal in the last minute, it gives the other team something to rally behind.