[Report] Luongo - Benning failure on cap recapture

Grandmaster

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-roberto-luongo-alerted-canucks-pending-retirement-team-chose-cap-recapture-instead#

Not sure if this was ever posted. Basically says we had an opportunity to get Lui back and put him on LTIR.

Seriously WTF is wrong with Benning? He has to be the worst GM in Canuck history. 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

• Grandmaster changed the title to [Report] Luongo - Benning failure on cap recapture
47 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-roberto-luongo-alerted-canucks-pending-retirement-team-chose-cap-recapture-instead#

Not sure if this was ever posted. Basically says we had an opportunity to get Lui back and put him on LTIR.

Seriously WTF is wrong with Benning? He has to be the worst GM in Canuck history. 

"A cheap trade that would’ve brought Luongo back to Vancouver could’ve been a win-win for both teams, one that might’ve also opened the door for Luongo to join the Canucks’ front office.

Bobby Lu could’ve been like the Sedin twins, helping mentor the team’s next generation of players, like Thatcher Demko and Arturs Silovs. But for reasons we’ll likely never know, the Jim Benning-led Canucks seemingly never entertained it as a serious option and took on the cap recapture penalty instead."

What ifs 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

I truly believed he did it just to pin something on Gillis and let his drones on CDC carry out the message.

When this was reported on CDC we had som furious posters talking shit about Gillis in absurdum. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

"we ran out of time..." 

A true indictment of the disfunction within 'management'.  Benning had chased away all his management team excluding Weisbor and didn't replace them. He had all these hats to wear and not enough hours in the day to do all his jobs. 

I think he hasn't been hired with another franchise since, is for a number of reasons, but I believe the number one reason, is because he doesn't know how to work well with others.   Beyond his less than steller track record, I believe he's burned a whole lot of bridges.... 

Remember when he had a 'heated' discussion with Sakic on the draft floor that one year?   I bet that happened a lot behind closed doors. 

BUT one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough... Linden hired him.  Rookie president mistake... and also big mistake Aquallini keeping him as long as he did. 

Thank the lord, that stories behind us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1