[Report] Luongo - Benning failure on cap recapture

Grandmaster

3 things:

1. Even if JB did this he would have probably wasted the $3 million extra and saddled the team with another long term contract that needed to be bought out.

2. Bettman may have had a hand in this, saying that they needed to take the penalty as an example or something - who knows what happens behind closed doors.

3. JB was sent to us by Boston to inflict as much damage to the organization as possible for as long as possible.

• Like 1

Benning was a poor communicator (personality issue). He was much better off being behind the scenes. We should also note down that his assistant GM wasn't the best either.

Benning could've had a decent place here as GM. One of his many mistakes was not surrounding himself with the right people. I think Brackett should've been up there, but it could've been that Weisbrod was the one pulling the strings.

Another mistake was re-signing Green. An unproven coach with a losing record doesn't deserve a re-signing. Benning was loyal to a fault.

• Cheers 1

This only makes me appreciate the management team we have now. We're truly fortunate to have a best case scenario after so many years.

It's unbelievable, really, how long this organization has fumbled along through different regimes and bad decision-making. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

"we ran out of time..." 

A true indictment of the disfunction within 'management'.  Benning had chased away all his management team excluding Weisbor and didn't replace them. He had all these hats to wear and not enough hours in the day to do all his jobs. 

I think he hasn't been hired with another franchise since, is for a number of reasons, but I believe the number one reason, is because he doesn't know how to work well with others.   Beyond his less than steller track record, I believe he's burned a whole lot of bridges.... 

Remember when he had a 'heated' discussion with Sakic on the draft floor that one year?   I bet that happened a lot behind closed doors. 

BUT one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough... Linden hired him.  Rookie president mistake... and also big mistake Aquallini keeping him as long as he did. 

Thank the lord, that stories behind us. 

Finally, someone that mentioned Aqualini......

IMO, he is still the biggest culprit in this matter........

He is the one that rewarded Benning for back stabbing Linden.....

He owns the ship!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Finally, someone that mentioned Aqualini......

IMO, he is still the biggest culprit in this matter........

He is the one that rewarded Benning for back stabbing Linden.....

He owns the ship!

Weini buys the team. Nonis tells him his ideas are not good for the club. He’s fired. Gillis tells Weini his ideas aren’t good. He’s fired. Benning strokes Weine’s ego and lasts longer than those other two, who actually competent. Yes, the Weini has responsibility, but Dimbo should have put the club first. 

• Cheers 2

It’s either 2 things:

1. FA at the time was losing money on nucks and was tightening the purse strings dos maybe he didn’t even want to pay 1 mill if he didn’t have to…

2. JB feared bringing RL into management group because RL was competent and could eventually replace JB…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

It’s either 2 things:

1. FA at the time was losing money on nucks and was tightening the purse strings dos maybe he didn’t even want to pay 1 mill if he didn’t have to…

2. JB feared bringing RL into management group because RL was competent and could eventually replace JB…

#2. Same for selecting a mediocre head coach. I think that a high caliber coach would not silently agree to work with the incompetently built roster. 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Canucks fan forum in the year 2076.

Hey remember that Benning goof.  Wasn't he the worst gm we ever had? 

Can we ever get over stuff? 

@GrammaInTheTub@Alflives

I publicly apologize for the arguments and want a fresh start with you all and you guys choose to take jabs. Says a lot about you guys. Crying over spilt milk, Benning is gone move on. If you want to bring him up, I’ll gladly join the conversation. Our current GM has made more mistakes in less time and ones that are actually impacting our window of contention. OEL buyout was as dumb as it gets and he went on to win a cup and played a crucial role on their blue line the following season the moment he got healthy. Not to mention retaining on Shitkeyev, brilliant… nearly 5mil in dead cap as we are trying beginning to contend. Sold rock bottom on Kuzmenko, threw a bunch of picks and some prospects at Calgary for Lindholm and Zadorov and they had how much time to resign them and failed to retain even just 1 of them. Criticism should be current and not 3 years later.

Edited by AnthonyG

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

@GrammaInTheTub@Alflives

I publicly apologize for the arguments and want a fresh start with you all and you guys choose to take jabs. Says a lot about you guys. Crying over spilt milk, Benning is gone move on. If you want to bring him up, I’ll gladly join the conversation. Our current GM has made more mistakes in less time and ones that are actually impacting our window of contention. OEL buyout was as dumb as it gets and he went on to win a cup and played a crucial role on their blue line the following season the moment he got healthy. Not to mention retaining on Shitkeyev, brilliant… nearly 5mil in dead cap as we are trying beginning to contend. Sold rock bottom on Kuzmenko, threw a bunch of picks and some prospects at Calgary for Lindholm and Zadorov and they had how much time to resign them and failed to retain even just 1 of them. Criticism should be current and not 3 years later.

I apologize for name-dropping you into the conversation. Please know that I say it with the sincerest light-hearted ribbing I’d give my good friends. I grew up in circles where being teased was because you’re being included and being thought of. Please know I meant no offense. I love your posts my friend! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, copperlynx said:

#2. Same for selecting a mediocre head coach. I think that a high caliber coach would not silently agree to work with the incompetently built roster. 

While the roster construction wasn't perfect, I'm still curious what an actual coach would have done instead of the baboons Benning allowed behind the bench.  Hiring two head coaches who sabotaged the team with their gross incompetence was Benning's biggest failure.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

@GrammaInTheTub@Alflives

You'll gladly join the conversation about more evidence of JB's incompetence....and then go on to only rip into the present day management.

I agree with you that Allvin and JR have made mistakes.  Every GM does.  I think they should have held onto OEL longer too, for caps sake. But they move fast each time to get at least something back and move on quickly to replace the need.  Is JR a bit too much of a gambler?  ie. Lindholm. maybe.  But if Demko had played and LIndholm had helped us past Edmonton, and the Cup was in Van, it would be looked on as a brilliant trade, even if we lost him again in the Summer as we did.

But its the plethora of mistake upon mistake upon mistake that describes Benning's reign. I don't have the stomach to compile that endless list, as I've done countless times before in other past threads.

In hindsight, I think I blamed Green too much. No coach could work with that shitshow of a front office. All the players that he was saddled with and the good ones he lost.  He definitely was the worst GM in Canucks history.

"the Panthers were going to have him retire officially."

What does this even mean? No franchise can force a player to retire. How would they even go about that? If the player doesn't agree to retire, what option does a franchise have to overrule that? None. The decision was with Luongo and he chose to harm Van by retiring to take a job with Florida's front office. There is no rehabilitating his image, the choice was his and there's no two ways about it.

Whole story is super fishy and makes zero sense. But hey, I bet it drives clicks!

1 minute ago, Xanlet said:

? but dem's da rules"the Panthers were going to have him retire officially."

What does this even mean? No franchise can force a player to retire. How would they even go about that? If the player doesn't agree to retire, what option does a franchise have to overrule that? None. The decision was with Luongo and he chose to harm Van by retiring to take a job with Florida's front office. There is no rehabilitating his image, the choice was his and there's no two ways about it.

Whole story is super fishy and makes zero sense. But hey, I bet it drives clicks!

nah, it kinda does make sense... you have to retire to take a job in the nhl front office... is it shady, yes, but dem's da rules

Just now, PeteyBOI said:

nah, it kinda does make sense... you have to retire to take a job in the nhl front office... is it shady, yes, but dem's da rules

So Van trades for his contract.... and then he retires anyway to take the job with Florida? Or if he was going to sit on LTIR in Van and "help mentor" or whatever, why didn't he just refuse to retire in Florida, sit on their LTIR, and mentor for them? And if Florida was playing hard ball and were willing to punish him in some way for sitting on LTIR, why would he want to play nice with them by doing exactly what they wanted and screw over Van? Any way you slice it, Luongo made the decision and all the rest is just a nothing burger. If anything the focus should be on the league for approving his deal and then retroactively deciding it was cap circumvention and slapping a penalty on Van. Goes to show how much of a bush league the NHL is, and also interesting it always seems to be in a certain direction that they make these decisions.

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

@GrammaInTheTub@Alflives

47885A91-E58C-4D11-B77A-A2A6AE3ADBF8.gif.38047f9c905217672c4c37dc9ab63020.gif

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

I don't think is an exaggeration. I think Benning really was the worst GM in Canuck history. And probably the worst GM in the league during much of his time with the Canucks.

He came up through the scouting channel and by all accounts had a good eye for talent. When player evaluation was all about "the eye test" he had some value. But after he was with a Canucks for a short time I thought it was obvious that he wasn't smart enough to be a good GM. He did not like or understand "analytics" and never really "got" cap management or anything else to do with numbers. And his strategic understanding was limited. Whenever I heard him explain his moves I groaned inwardly (or outwardly). And he was unable to build a strong organization and could not get along with anyone smart who disagreed with him (Trevor Linden, Laurence Gilman, Judd Bracket, etc.) and was increasingly isolated as time went on.

If he  had stuck with his relative strength (player evaluation) and tried to acquire draft picks and do a good job of drafting he might have been ok. But he saw himself as a wheeler-dealer type could rebuild a team on the fly. He couldn't, and the team lost value every summer through his moves.

I still don't understand why Aquilini stuck with him for so long.

Apparently he believed or wanted to believe the "this is the year" mantra.

A good manager delegates.   It's actually a very simple job, as long as you hire the right people. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Xanlet said:

So Van trades for his contract.... and then he retires anyway to take the job with Florida? Or if he was going to sit on LTIR in Van and "help mentor" or whatever, why didn't he just refuse to retire in Florida, sit on their LTIR, and mentor for them? And if Florida was playing hard ball and were willing to punish him in some way for sitting on LTIR, why would he want to play nice with them by doing exactly what they wanted and screw over Van? Any way you slice it, Luongo made the decision and all the rest is just a nothing burger. If anything the focus should be on the league for approving his deal and then retroactively deciding it was cap circumvention and slapping a penalty on Van. Goes to show how much of a bush league the NHL is, and also interesting it always seems to be in a certain direction that they make these decisions.

It's because Florida didn't have the real dollars to pay him. He was forced into retirement by them, if he wanted a future with that organization he couldn't refuse their request. I agree with the sentiment of the NHL's responsibility but Luongo had to do what he thought was best for him, maintain good relations with the Panthers. So no he couldn't have just sat on LTIR in Florida without significant repercussions to his post-playing future. 

He tried all he could do to ensure what was best for him wouldn't screw the Canucks. JB didn't care enough to even call.

Edited by Aladeen

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

You'll gladly join the conversation about more evidence of JB's incompetence....and then go on to only rip into the present day management.

I agree with you that Allvin and JR have made mistakes.  Every GM does.  I think they should have held onto OEL longer too, for caps sake. But they move fast each time to get at least something back and move on quickly to replace the need.  Is JR a bit too much of a gambler?  ie. Lindholm. maybe.  But if Demko had played and LIndholm had helped us past Edmonton, and the Cup was in Van, it would be looked on as a brilliant trade, even if we lost him again in the Summer as we did.

But its the plethora of mistake upon mistake upon mistake that describes Benning's reign. I don't have the stomach to compile that endless list, as I've done countless times before in other past threads.

In hindsight, I think I blamed Green too much. No coach could work with that shitshow of a front office. All the players that he was saddled with and the good ones he lost.  He definitely was the worst GM in Canucks history.

Current management is a current topic, Jim Benning isn’t. 

Be real with yourself, if Benning was so bad and his mistakes were so many and such grand errors, how come we are a legitimate contender in under 10 years? Starting from below ground level.

He was nowhere near as bad as you guys want to make it out to be.

made playoffs with all his worst signings smoked the defending champs, hit the injury bug and took VGK to 7.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Xanlet said:

Chris Pronger was being paid under NHL contract and working for the NHL & or an NHL team not long ago wasn't he?

Aqualini could cash in and Sell the Canucks...Get Ryan Reynolds, Michael Buble & other people involved to buy the team. The owner is setting the fans and players back imo. Why the EFF have they not built a Proper training facility for the players that is theirs...no sharing, no long commuting etc...Owner is cheap as F, yet nearly every team BUT the Canucks have such a facility...If you don't want to invest, cash out and stick to real estate and restaurants and let a competent ownership group run the Canucks!