[Report] Luongo - Benning failure on cap recapture

Grandmaster

23 hours ago, Aladeen said:

3 things:

1. Even if JB did this he would have probably wasted the $3 million extra and saddled the team with another long term contract that needed to be bought out.

2. Bettman may have had a hand in this, saying that they needed to take the penalty as an example or something - who knows what happens behind closed doors.

3. JB was sent to us by Boston to inflict as much damage to the organization as possible for as long as possible.

I agree with one and three.

• ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I grew up in circles where being teased was because you’re being included and being thought of. Please know I meant no offense. I love your posts my friend! 

As years pass I find more people on average take the ribbing as a insult. I'm talking about new comers at work.

I tell them when the ribbing stops that's the time to worry.

16 minutes ago, Joe King said:

As years pass I find more people on average take the ribbing as a insult. I'm talking about new comers at work.

I tell them when the ribbing stops that's the time to worry.

PSA - non aliased/non-satirized post - a human moment:

While generational ability to take a joke in-person changes over time, I realized I need to take responsibility in knowing this as well. While this isn’t in-person, it’s online, it still has real human impacts. Think of what this community meant to all of us during lockdown. And continues to mean to us now.  

It was a good learning opportunity. Our friend Anthony still receives a good amount of shit from people here because of previous posts. And with that in mind, and seeing Anthony’s response calling me on my behaviour, I realized that what I had wanted to be a playful engaging nod suddenly felt more to me like bullying and I was very disappointed in myself.

This is a space for passionate fans that I value tremendously. We all have a voice that deserves being heard - unless you preach hate in the off-topic forum; then just fuck off. 

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

PSA - non aliased/non-satirized post - a human moment:

While generational ability to take a joke in-person changes over time, I realized I need to take responsibility in knowing this as well. While this isn’t in-person, it’s online, it still has real human impacts. Think of what this community meant to all of us during lockdown. And continues to mean to us now.  

It was a good learning opportunity. Our friend Anthony still receives a good amount of shit from people here because of previous posts. And with that in mind, and seeing Anthony’s response calling me on my behaviour, I realized that what I had wanted to be a playful engaging nod suddenly felt more to me like bullying and I was very disappointed in myself.

This is a space for passionate fans that I value tremendously. We all have a voice that deserves being heard - unless you preach hate in the off-topic forum; then just fuck off. 

Ok. I'm not sure how to respond. 

10 hours ago, Aladeen said:

It's because Florida didn't have the real dollars to pay him.

I'm really just confused, Van is supposed to trade for Luongo to help save the Panthers from bankruptcy because they couldn't fulfill their contract obligations to Luongo, and because Van chose not to, they are the bad guys here? And if Florida couldn't pay him his salary, why would he retire to take another job with them? They'd already have been in a position to be unable to continue paying his salary, why would he sign up for another salary from them? It sounds like, by every angle imaginable, Florida and Luongo should be the ones looking bad here, not Van.

1 hour ago, Xanlet said:

I'm really just confused, Van is supposed to trade for Luongo to help save the Panthers from bankruptcy because they couldn't fulfill their contract obligations to Luongo, and because Van chose not to, they are the bad guys here? And if Florida couldn't pay him his salary, why would he retire to take another job with them? They'd already have been in a position to be unable to continue paying his salary, why would he sign up for another salary from them? It sounds like, by every angle imaginable, Florida and Luongo should be the ones looking bad here, not Van.

Canucks have real dollars they needed cap dollars. It would have been a win for Canucks to have extra cap flexibility, a win for Luongo because no doubt he would have made more real dollars sitting out his contract rather than retiring and a win for the Pathers because they wouldn't have to pay the real dollars and not get hit with the recapture as well. To not even call Luongo or his agent was a mistake on the part of Canuck's management. 

Florida had every right to ask Luongo to retire, Luongo had every right to retire, but he did the classy thing by reaching out to see if perhaps there was an arrangement that would have had the Canucks not being penalized by the league's retroactive punishment. The only one's who look bad are the NHL for their retroactive punishment of contracts they validated and JB for not even trying to work something out where the Canuck's weren't eating dead cap for years. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/8/2024 at 1:11 PM, JamesB said:

I don't think is an exaggeration. I think Benning really was the worst GM in Canuck history. And probably the worst GM in the league during much of his time with the Canucks.

He came up through the scouting channel and by all accounts had a good eye for talent. When player evaluation was all about "the eye test" he had some value. But after he was with a Canucks for a short time I thought it was obvious that he wasn't smart enough to be a good GM. He did not like or understand "analytics" and never really "got" cap management or anything else to do with numbers. And his strategic understanding was limited. Whenever I heard him explain his moves I groaned inwardly (or outwardly). And he was unable to build a strong organization and could not get along with anyone smart who disagreed with him (Trevor Linden, Laurence Gilman, Judd Bracket, etc.) and was increasingly isolated as time went on.

If he  had stuck with his relative strength (player evaluation) and tried to acquire draft picks and do a good job of drafting he might have been ok. But he saw himself as a wheeler-dealer type could rebuild a team on the fly. He couldn't, and the team lost value every summer through his moves.

I still don't understand why Aquilini stuck with him for so long.

Apparently he believed or wanted to believe the "this is the year" mantra.

There wasn’t a GM who had fewer wins per cap dollar spent over his tenure.

We were a cap team who were one of the very worst in the league for almost a decade.  I think it was 4th worst on average for that span.

The ones that were worse were budget teams like Arizona, or teams purposefully rebuilding and trading away their good players…. Some of those teams even ended up better than us.

With a bunch of of high picks gifted by the draft system to losing teams and the money to spend to the cap it is hard to be that bad for that long.

• Cheers 2

On 10/10/2024 at 10:20 AM, Provost said:

There wasn’t a GM who had fewer wins per cap dollar spent over his tenure.

We were a cap team who were one of the very worst in the league for almost a decade.  I think it was 4th worst on average for that span.

The ones that were worse were budget teams like Arizona, or teams purposefully rebuilding and trading away their good players…. Some of those teams even ended up better than us.

With a bunch of of high picks gifted by the draft system to losing teams and the money to spend to the cap it is hard to be that bad for that long.

Other teams have struggled too.   Buffalo, it's absolutely disgusting that a team can miss the playoffs, for a decade and counting.    CAR missed 9 in a row until they finally got it going.    

As for the Canucks, we are still feeling the ripples of mismanaged opportunities and failed attempts to be "competitive".   Sure hope that next time, ownership and management, recognizes this fanbase does have the stomach for a proper tear down.    We still aren't out of the woods. 

Edit:  Two big metrics bug me about the current state of the NHL.   One 32 teams.  It's ENOUGH!   More than enough.   Wish they instead retracted.   For talent level, and especially because it creates this ridiculous cycle extension to have maybe a 5-7 year window best case then start all over again.    Too many teams take too long to get out of the basement.    The other thing that bugs me, is it's a cap world with a tier system.    Net income.   You can absolutely bet that agents and players push for contracts  based on that.   A group of US teams enjoy a discounted competitive advantage.   It makes it especially difficult, to create a Canadian powerhouse.   Let alone a fluke run here and there (bubble MTL, EDM is still a ? mark, goaltending/defense). 

The Canuck's were the closest we've seen so far (peak Sedin era), and that had a shit ton to do with the way Gillis structured Luongo's deal.   Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford other things.   Same goes for all the clauses, which included support players like Hansen.  

Personally didn't have any illusions that it was going to take a very long time to ice a relevant team after 14 years of winning the way we won.   No prospect pool.    8 years of diddly squat.   Vegas and Seattle started out with more, i'd argue even under the old rules, ATL got a bevy of nice players, CLB had Rick Nash one of the best power forwards of his era.   We started with Horvat, not the same as Kovulchuk or Heatley or whomever.  

Taxes matter.   When Bobrovsky is taking home the same as McDavid,  MT as EP...well it's not hard to understand really.    Then there is a boatload of US teams with a 10-12% tax advantage in the middle.   Like CHI, PIT, COL... Whenever any of our GMs get a deal done like JT Miller, it's a rarity.   In those states it's pretty commonplace.   Vegas, Dallas, Seattle, TB, Miami ... wonder how long it will take the Kraken?    And once they get there, how easy it will be for them to continue. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1