[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

EP will be fine.

Silovs will be fine.

Our primary focus this season isn't how we start but how we finish. That was the big takeaway from last season. 

Well, the start is just as important as the finish. If the team doesn't start well, we may not even make the postseason. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, the start is just as important as the finish. If the team doesn't start well, we may not even make the postseason. 

Quite right,don't like last minute dashes. Also makes the GM less likely to improve the team near the deadline.

Edited by bertuzzi44fan

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I never said it wasn't important. We started well last season and faded. Oilers started terribly and went to the final.

It's clear this season in how we approached training camp that our primary focus this season isn't as much on how we start out of the gate but how we sustain over the longer term. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

EP will be fine.

Silovs will be fine.

Our primary focus this season isn't how we start but how we finish. That was the big takeaway from last season. 

If i got stroke,i wont be fine.

• Haha 1

Not the result we wanted but the point helped - given the momentum the Flames had in the third.  Silovs was ok - i thought the tying and go ahead goals in the thrid were difficult plays  - one went through 3-4 players fronting him (and off the crossbar) and the other goal had two Flames in the crease. 

Hope to see improved PK this year - seems the successful teams are always near the top in PK % - more structure, less chasing and proper box-outs.  If the opponent somehow gets the shot through 4-5 players and scores, then be it - beats chasing players around and leaving the slot wide open.

I expect the Flyers to have a similar gritty game on Friday as they did have some positive results against us last year. Hopefully the Canucks can make some minor adjustments from tonight's game and go from there.

The point earned tonight was a fair result IMO

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Watch the first period and last 3 mins of third.  OT was so so.  Flames had most of the possession 

im usually interested in team defence the most, so seeing where the breakdowns are (and hopefully how they fix them) will make the whole game somewhat enjoyable 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not exactly the result I wanted to come home to BUT I'll pose you this

2010-11:

- Have training camp in Penticton

- Lose home/season opener 

- Make SCF

2024-25:

- ?

I believe in coincidences. 

Pears you sound more drunk than gramma! 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not exactly the result I wanted to come home to BUT I'll pose you this

2010-11:

- Make SCF

2024-25:

- ?

I believe in coincidences. 

What was game 2 result?

Did Canucks score tons of goals? Check.

Did the Canucks make you worry after scoring so many goals? Check.

Did the opposition catch up? Check

Has this happened before ? Check.

Did half of CDC fall off the bandwagon again? Check.

is hockey back? Check.

Will we pretty much Walt’s into the playoffs with all of the above? Check. 

WELCOME BACK TO THE FORUMS OF THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS.

• Like 4

My takeaways.....

1.  Silovs is supposed to be the back up.  Not the season opening goalie.  I was hoping he could play 35 games spelling off Demko and making sure Demko didn't play too much.  Best laid plans.  Lol. 

2.  Took our foot off the gas.  And got passed.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The Weegar goal id blame him, the others I wouldn't.

This team should defend well enough that we don't need Demko to bail us out. Your up 4-1 the goalie wasn't the reason this was a loss.

This loss in on the team... there was a lot of rustiness about and a somewhat feeling that 20min of hockey was enough. 
Tocchet said it as well. Flames wanted it more...

I thought the lack of Chemistry amongst the lines were slightly concerning. And some of the goals were about poor positioning by forwards...
Silovs didn't look great, but he'll bounce back like the rest of the team. 

onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Goose said:

im usually interested in team defence the most, so seeing where the breakdowns are (and hopefully how they fix them) will make the whole game somewhat enjoyable 

Most of them very easily fixed. 
1st goal a cross ice pass picked up by a player coming from the penalty box and getting a free run. 
a few positional problems, and sometimes the puck was handled like a granate in our own zone. 
Tocchet didn't go wild at the following presser, but it was clear to see, he was pissed off...

Mainly the team took the foot off the pedal, when they came back for the 2nd period. 

17 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

My takeaways.....

1.  Silovs is supposed to be the back up.  Not the season opening goalie.  I was hoping he could play 35 games spelling off Demko and making sure Demko didn't play too much.  Best laid plans.  Lol. 

2.  Took our foot off the gas.  And got passed.   

I think many knew that coming in but wasn't Tocchet's defensive minded system supposed to cover the possible shortcomings in goal?

• Vintage 1