[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

I know it's only one game but we were saying the same two seasons ago when Vancouver blew a 3-0 lead and then manage to blow a streak of multi-goals after that thus sinking the season.

So yes it's one game but Vancouver needs to go all out in their next game against Philly.

On that note: is there a reason why 3 seasons in a row Vancouver is facing the Flyers so early in their season? Seems a bit random considering Philly is from a different conference. Does Rutherford or Allvin have some sort party every October with someone in the Flyers organization ?

Edited by iinatcc

5 hours ago, Darius said:

We cant sugar coat it, those distance shots are a weakness and it goes back a while.  

I remember the year Cloutier let in the shot from centre ice - the following season opened up and everyone was taking shots from way out- and it just worked to give us possession all the time.

This case doesn’t seem to have such a happy result

I'm glad that Silovs didn't bail us out of our bad defensive play. If we'd won the game because of Silovs, maybe we'd not look deeper into how the game played out.

We started fast and played with energy. We outshot Calgary 15-5, and then we started playing like Calgary wasn't a good enough team to beat us. It's a good reminder that no team will play the Canucks and not fight until the final minutes. Additionally, Canucks this year will be starting the year with other teams knowing they were a team that almost beat Edmonton ( who went to the finals ). No one is going to play the Canucks soft this year, so Canucks need to know games will be harder to win as well. 

Tocchet said it himself in the press post game, that it's the NHL and every team can win ( paraphrasing ).

The team got outworked and the Canucks played like a team that had a lot of new players. Can the mix of new and old players mesh?

When the pressure came from Calgary, the finer details of how line mates pass to each other, how defenders position themselves became an issue. New players are having to learn not only a new team system, but also how their linemates play. Dmen will have to learn if their partner is more defensive or offensive or other quirks in their play. Offensive players will have to learn how their linemates pass, where their linemates like to be on the ice. Team mates in general will have to learn each other's weaknesses and strength.

And fast.

Few teams make the playoffs with slow starts. Consider that pre All Star game our record was 28-11-3 or  .738, and post All star game we were 22-12-6  or  .650. Would we have made the playoff or just barely if our first half had been like our second half?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think many knew that coming in but wasn't Tocchet's defensive minded system supposed to cover the possible shortcomings in goal?

We had one preseason game with what resembled a full lineup.  I don't think they have they habits to run a system yet.  

35 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

My takeaways.....

1.  Silovs is supposed to be the back up.  Not the season opening goalie.  I was hoping he could play 35 games spelling off Demko and making sure Demko didn't play too much.  Best laid plans.  Lol. 

2.  Took our foot off the gas.  And got passed.   

I don't think one game determines if a goalie can be main goalie or not ( without Demko ). First game of the season isnt going to tell me how the goalie will play at game 40. If folks are going to use one game as their sample size then we're in for a long season.

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Where are the slap shots down the wing like the ones in his first year? He doesn’t get those separation plays anymore. It’s very concerning.

i'll stand by what i said for the last 9 months.. EP Plays best when he have a playmaker on his line and not 2 shooters. there's no one to get him the puck so he's just resorted to a passer now and other team just zone in on him to take away his pass and he's neutralize.. debrusk and whoever else on his wings are not passer/playmaker.. EP played best when he was with kuzmenko and he did good even with goldobin who is a better passer than any of the guy he's playing with currently.. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I don't think one game determines if a goalie can be main goalie or not ( without Demko ). First game of the season isnt going to tell me how the goalie will play at game 40. If folks are going to use one game as their sample size then we're in for a long season.

Oh.  Don't get me wrong.  Silovs is good.  But there are warts and there needs to be development.  He will have games he stands on his head and wins on his own.  He will have games he hurts us.  And he is not Demko.  Not yet anyway.  

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Harvey Specter said:

Miller, all he's been doing is showing the rest the path since he got here.   Garland gets it.     Sometimes others seem to as well.   They all can't be him, he's special, but they sure can feed off that energy.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

A couple of the goals were definitely on Silovs. 
The defence was slow and horrendous. Myers/Soucy should have been our third pairing. Forbort/Desharnais scares me moving forward. 
Lack lustre effort from the forwards too. Miller played with some heart but everyone else was invisible.

Everyone says it’s just the first game and everyone’s rusty, well it was the first game for the Flames too.

2 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

His career stats are mediocre, definitely not that of a starter.

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I fell asleep in the 3rd, looks like I wasn't the only one.

Oh well, make your mistakes early and bounce back fast. Least they start with a point. 

So the loss is on you then.

• Haha 1

maybe it's just my opinion, but :

Petey was nearly invisible last night... was it because they were checking him tight? or ???

JT disappeared after his fight until the final 5 minutes of the 3rd.

It was almost like the entire team slept through the 2nd and 2/3rds of the 3rd period. 

Silovs , does he need new contact lenses to see those point shots? or his Dmen to clear the front of the net so he can see the shots coming better. 

Our Dmen seem too afraid to clean house . Too many flames allowed to park in front. 

Both the Leafs AND Oilers getting shut out on opening night......priceless!!! Especially the Oilers after EVERY idiot on TSN picking them to cake-walk their way to a Cup.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Most of them very easily fixed. 
1st goal a cross ice pass picked up by a player coming from the penalty box and getting a free run
a few positional problems, and sometimes the puck was handled like a granate in our own zone. 
Tocchet didn't go wild at the following presser, but it was clear to see, he was pissed off...

Mainly the team took the foot off the pedal, when they came back for the 2nd period. 

Did Silovs slap his goaliestick in the ice to give JT a heads up? (I can't remember)

• Cheers 1

One game isn't a season so chill out. My biggest upset was the quality of some of the Flame goals. Silovs did not have much chance. Tap ins. 

RT will regroup the team to take Philly on. Torts has a team and they will be a tough game. 

• Cheers 1

Fell asleep at 4-1 so, so great game right?

Hopefully that was the early warning they need that they need to work not just assume they will get the same results as last year. 
My prediction this year was a bit of a rocky start but end up similar place as last year. 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

One game isn't a season so chill out. My biggest upset was the quality of some of the Flame goals. Silovs did not have much chance. Tap ins. 

RT will regroup the team to take Philly on. Torts has a team and they will be a tough game. 

Silovs was terrible. He gave up easy goals on shots we purposely give up. Guys then get out of position trying to prevent those shots. We get stretched out in the d zone. Silovs needs to hone his game in the A. Until Demko comes back we will see Lanky and Patara soon as our guys up. 

• Desmenko 1